bob_G

Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

767 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, JTR said:

The voting public "demanded" it after the state started seeing the dollar signs and got it on the ballot. This was about money. The state was willing to look beyond the negative side effects for the money. Let's not confuse democracy with what happened in this case.

Well of course the state saw the money involved. :laugh: That goes without saying.

But the cannabis folks did their homework, and went by the book. I'm sure the local police are profiting by the daily details in towns that have dispensaries.

46 mins ago, JTR said:

Alcohol is bad, when not used responsibly. When abused, it clearly can have terrible consequences. Regardless, it’s legal, and that will never change.

That’s a moot point in the marijuana discussion, in my opinion. Just because alcohol is “worse,” doesn’t mean that we should make marijuana legal. It just shouldn’t work that way. There should be a definitive reason WHY weed should be legal. To this point, the only positive that I’ve heard from the weed crowd is the money that it will produce for the state - fine, money rules everything.

I’ve asked this before and I’ll ask it again - what good does legalizing marijuana do, besides generate money? We already had medical marijuana. We already decriminalized it. 

Ill tell all you what it does that’s bad - it makes it more available to those who shouldn’t have it. It numbs people to its adverse affects - meaning just like drinking and driving, people will consider it no big deal to smoke and drive either. 

And for for those of you that think that weed doesn’t kill people, please please please do some research before you open you mouths. Weed is constantly found in the blood stream of victims in fatal crashes in this state. Don’t bother telling me that none of them were impaired by it. If there was booze found in their blood, we’d all blame the booze. Please at least acknowledge that weed is a central nervous system depressant and absolutely impairs your ability to operate a motor vehicle. 

Give it a decade or so and the actual effects of legalizing weed will be realized. 

Weed is found in the blood stream of many many many more people that don't crash.

That whole 30 days in the body thing; we been over and over it.

You have it backwards. 

Why was MJ illegal? No good answer.

Why is booze both legal and acceptable? No good answer beyond Lobby power.

You are trying too hard to not accept what you are hearing. You don't like it and your mind will not be changed. 

I don't believe it will be changed in a decade when absolutely nothing happens except a bunch of people don't get their lives wrecked by a meaningless prohibition. 

You really need to give more thought to just how many people have been secretly doing this all around you your whole life.

What you didn't know didn't hurt you.

You drove every day with a bunch of stoners and never knew.

Now suddenly it's legal and you fear boogymen that should have reared their heads decades ago. 

But didn't. 

As to benefit, I think I said this once, if even one person gives up alcohol in favor of MJ, Massachusetts got safer.

If lots of people go over to MJ away from booze, in a decade the highway death rate will have dropped tremendously. 

26 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Weed is found in the blood stream of many many many more people that don't crash.

That whole 30 days in the body thing; we been over and over it.

You have it backwards. 

Why was MJ illegal? No good answer.

Why is booze both legal and acceptable? No good answer beyond Lobby power.

You are trying too hard to not accept what you are hearing. You don't like it and your mind will not be changed. 

I don't believe it will be changed in a decade when absolutely nothing happens except a bunch of people don't get their lives wrecked by a meaningless prohibition. 

You really need to give more thought to just how many people have been secretly doing this all around you your whole life.

What you didn't know didn't hurt you.

You drove every day with a bunch of stoners and never knew.

Now suddenly it's legal and you fear boogymen that should have reared their heads decades ago. 

But didn't. 

As to benefit, I think I said this once, if even one person gives up alcohol in favor of MJ, Massachusetts got safer.

If lots of people go over to MJ away from booze, in a decade the highway death rate will have dropped tremendously. 

I love the psychological take on what I'm thinking. Must be the weed talking.

Now what happens if just one person dies as a result of eating an edible (that they wouldn't have otherwise had) and driving? Do we just write that one off? Cost of doing business? Growing pains?

Know who won't be calling attention to it....... the State.

Posted (edited) · Report post

30 mins ago, JTR said:

I love the psychological take on what I'm thinking. Must be the weed talking.

Now what happens if just one person dies as a result of eating an edible (that they wouldn't have otherwise had) and driving? Do we just write that one off? Cost of doing business? Growing pains?

Know who won't be calling attention to it....... the State.

We sell cars, guns, knives, barbeque utensils, exactos, propane grills etc.

No one calls for them to be illegal because some moron crashes, shoots, stabs, blows up or poke their own eye out once out of every 100K tries.

What are your other reasons it should be illegal?

Edit: of course people call for guns to be illegal.  Duh. Bad example. 

Edited by mikez2

There are some MJ haters in here that have what I would call the trifecta of clueless. Uninformed, Bias and Sheltered.  These are the people you should never listen to in life about any subject.  

The only argument I can honestly understand against legal MJ is legal drinking is such a big problem that we don’t need legal MJ adding to this problem. I could see someone thinking that but trying to say MJ is as bad or worst that drinking in ANY way is a joke. Looks bad to even say so. 

The tax benefits won't help us here In Ma. The politicians spend every penny we send them. They'll figure some pay increase or some other crazy chit to spend the money on. 

3 hours ago, JTR said:

That’s a moot point in the marijuana discussion, in my opinion. Just because alcohol is “worse,” doesn’t mean that we should make marijuana legal. It just shouldn’t work that way. There should be a definitive reason WHY weed should be legal. To this point, the only positive that I’ve heard from the weed crowd is the money that it will produce for the state - fine, money rules everything.

Would argue just the opposite, everything should be legal unless there is  a very good reason to make it illegal.

27 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Would argue just the opposite, everything should be legal unless there is  a very good reason to make it illegal.

Mike is there any reason why the federal government have made it illegal ? Do you think it is all about politics ? Or do they have certifiable proof that in fact there is concerns about health issues? Or are they being black mailed into that view point for other reasons in your opinion.?

Edited by Angler #1

what i am curoius about is if weed has such a negative affect on motor skills,how can some of the worlds top atheletes who compete in ski ,snowboard, mountain bike events are  long time potheads.Sports where motor skills are of utmost importance.

2 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

what i am curoius about is if weed has such a negative affect on motor skills,how can some of the worlds top atheletes who compete in ski ,snowboard, mountain bike events are  long time potheads.Sports where motor skills are of utmost importance.

David Wells comes to mind in terms of doing things drunk and hung over. Pitching a perfect game with a miserable hangover is pretty darn impressive.  Josh Gordon is another good example, he was drunk and High at every practice through high school and college. It’s amazing the potential that these guys have and how much better they could be if they weren’t using substances that impeded their skills .

Edited by JTR