bob_G

Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

520 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, joem said:

The IRS gladly accepts tax payments from marijuana businesses in cash. Even illegal income is taxable!

There was speculation that the federal govt would take a harder line with sessions in charge but nothing really came of that. 

I get that illegal income is taxable - that's the point. Uncle Sam demands it. I think that matters way more than law&order or health&safety as far as weed enforcement goes. Or so I would've thought. 

I think turmoil in Washington will have to be resolved before feds look at legal weed closer.

My personal experience of 40 years around stoners - I think every gun owner be required to take medicinal marijuana every day.

The world would be a safer place.

(It really helps hunters in the woods too and deer don't fear the smell. Just sayin)

Funny overall.

Washington state has been legal for a few years.    More pot shops around than corner gas stations.    No waiting!!  

Yea, I know the Federal Regs say no no.   Just try to work in an industry in this state that has Federal Contracts.   Drug testing is mandatory.  So if you are a user, not only will you put your gun ownership in a bind but you will not be able to work anyplace that receives Federal money.

And there is still un-legal pot grown out in the timber land.      Washington State has been and will be, called "The Green State" for decades.   The old supply and demand thing.     Make something illegal or make it legal and tax it and there always will be a "bootleg" supply.

I do not use drugs or alcohol, but know a lot that do.    And it is funny to drive past a pot shop and see who in the upper crust stops at the shop to buy their "Weekend Recreation".      Sorry but my recreation is fishing.  You want to lay around and be stoned, OK, keeps the crowds down at the boat ramps.

Just wait until lead is totally banned in the U.S.   It will happen.    And some genius will develop a lead detector so the Feds can drive around neighborhoods and find your stash.    I will be in trouble, maybe 3000 pounds of lead in the storage building that I use for casting sinkers and jigs.   Got it for almost nothing back when a big pulp mill was shut down, they had tons of lead piping to resist the chemicals.

Ah, progress.    Sometime in the future the U.S.  will be a liberal paradise.   All us old timers that liked to fish and hunt will be long dead.   Heck, now in my little town there is a protest over the city planning to cut down a tall tree that is in bad shape and is a hazard to houses nearby.    The protesters say that life must be preserved and the tree must not be taken!  So yea, let the tree fall, destroy a house, and kill the occupants.   

30 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I get that illegal income is taxable - that's the point. Uncle Sam demands it. I think that matters way more than law&order or health&safety as far as weed enforcement goes. Or so I would've thought. 

I think turmoil in Washington will have to be resolved before feds look at legal weed closer.

My personal experience of 40 years around stoners - I think every gun owner be required to take medicinal marijuana every day.

The world would be a safer place.

(It really helps hunters in the woods too and deer don't fear the smell. Just sayin)

Yea they would be laying around stoned.    No temper tantrums!!!  But I think judgement would be impaired.

Back in my deer stand hunting days in Georgia we used tobacco leaves as deer bait.   They loved it.  Maybe a few pot leaves mixed in with the tobacco leaves would bring in a big buck!

3 mins ago, Silverado said:

Funny overall.

Washington state has been legal for a few years.    More pot shops around than corner gas stations.    No waiting!!  

Yea, I know the Federal Regs say no no.   Just try to work in an industry in this state that has Federal Contracts.   Drug testing is mandatory.  So if you are a user, not only will you put your gun ownership in a bind but you will not be able to work anyplace that receives Federal money.

And there is still un-legal pot grown out in the timber land.      Washington State has been and will be, called "The Green State" for decades.   The old supply and demand thing.     Make something illegal or make it legal and tax it and there always will be a "bootleg" supply.

I do not use drugs or alcohol, but know a lot that do.    And it is funny to drive past a pot shop and see who in the upper crust stops at the shop to buy their "Weekend Recreation".      Sorry but my recreation is fishing.  You want to lay around and be stoned, OK, keeps the crowds down at the boat ramps.

Just wait until lead is totally banned in the U.S.   It will happen.    And some genius will develop a lead detector so the Feds can drive around neighborhoods and find your stash.    I will be in trouble, maybe 3000 pounds of lead in the storage building that I use for casting sinkers and jigs.   Got it for almost nothing back when a big pulp mill was shut down, they had tons of lead piping to resist the chemicals.

Ah, progress.    Sometime in the future the U.S.  will be a liberal paradise.   All us old timers that liked to fish and hunt will be long dead.   Heck, now in my little town there is a protest over the city planning to cut down a tall tree that is in bad shape and is a hazard to houses nearby.    The protesters say that life must be preserved and the tree must not be taken!  So yea, let the tree fall, destroy a house, and kill the occupants.   

I got bad news for ya.

Weed most certainly does not keep fishermen away.

If fishermen had to piss test to get a fishin' license - then there'd be plenty room at the ramp.

2 mins ago, Silverado said:

Yea they would be laying around stoned.    No temper tantrums!!!  But I think judgement would be impaired.

Back in my deer stand hunting days in Georgia we used tobacco leaves as deer bait.   They loved it.  Maybe a few pot leaves mixed in with the tobacco leaves would bring in a big buck!

Wish I knew where laying around stoned came from.

In the camps I've freqented all my life, the stoners are up and out before dawn, stay out all day and are the more successful hunters/fishers.

The drunks, after bringing drama to the campfire, sleep in, wake up sick and cranky, carry beer with the ammo and quit early to go back to drinking. 

Laying around is not required for stoners. Outdoor activities are tailormade for stonin'.

Smoking itself is another excuse to go for a walk in the woods.

From what I've heard.

In all seriousness, and with apologies for going astray from Bob's question, the game changer RE weed and public safety is edibles. 

Eating bumps the usage into the full on intoxicated mode.

Even long time experienced smokers can get into trouble.

The thought of a first time user chowing too many brownies before hunting is an alarming one.

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

the game changer RE weed and public safety is edibles. 

Yup, I can't challenge this, as it certainly is different. while everyone knows about pot brownies for 40+ years, only some have done them, and now there is whole new list too choose from.

Like anything, it will take time, but that is no reason to be unreasonable about moving forward. Education is key, and education can only happen when folks aren't running scared and demanding silly things.

Posted (edited) · Report post

This madness to smoke this cultivated weed will eventually come to its senses when enough associated items become known to the public . For now it is all about money , money for the states and money for the towns . Where is the concern for the actual safety of the folks smoking and ingesting it . Once a base line is formulated as to the actual affects it has on the human body and the likely hood of long term health issues . Just like nothing was wrong with smoking in general once upon a time, this scourge will raise its ugly head and we all will pay the price in some way to bring a different health program to pay for it .while we have countless walking around in never never land looking for another way to justify smoking or eating  it. The ills of marijuana are long documented going back into history , when taken as a recreational use . The health agency do not recommend it, the federal government have declared it illegal and your rights to bear arms will be taken if you put yourself in such a place that they find you are  user . That does not even bring to bear what it will do to any young person that gets addicted to it.

Edited by Angler #1
add

5 hours ago, rbart said:

Just grow your own and be done with it. You’re allowed 6-12 plants per household, prescription or not. 

For dedicated users, this is really the answer. It's relatively cheap once you get past the initial costs and there are no safety questions about where it came from or what's in it. It just takes a little extra time and effort.

59 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

This madness to smoke this cultivated weed will eventually come to its senses when enough associated items become known to the public . For now it is all about money , money for the states and money for the towns . Where is the concern for the actual safety of the folks smoking and ingesting it . Once a base line is formulated as to the actual affects it has on the human body and the likely hood of long term health issues . Just like nothing was wrong with smoking in general once upon a time, this scourge will raise its ugly head and we all will pay the price in some way to bring a different health program to pay for it .while we have countless walking around in never never land looking for another way to justify smoking or eating  it. The ills of marijuana are long documented going back into history , when taken as a recreational use . The health agency do not recommend it, the federal government have declared it illegal and your rights to bear arms will be taken if you put yourself in such a place that they find you are  user . That does not even bring to bear what it will do to any young person that gets addicted to it.

yes, we should stick to alcohol, it's much safer!

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, bdowning said:

For dedicated users, this is really the answer. It's relatively cheap once you get past the initial costs and there are no safety questions about where it came from or what's in it. It just takes a little extra time and effort.

Right.

Then the last thing you have to worry about is drug testing. 

I haven't heard of major companies changing drug testing because of legalization 

In fact, I've seen jobs posted in my field that state at the top they will always test regardless of legalization. 

Drug testing is enemy #1 for discreet smokers.

The stuff stays in you for weeks.

Even if you show up for work sober as the Pope, what you did at home on the weekend two weeks ago can get you ****canned.

(Meanwhile the company CEO drives home drunk from every event.)

The other problem with testing is if you get in a crash, or god forbid a hunting accident, even if you haven't smoked in weeks, if they test you, the narrative will be "Positive Drug Test!!!"

Every crash, every crime, every wife beating, gun accident, if they test, it will be positive drug test in the headline. 

Even if none of those were actually high at the time.

Edited by mikez2

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 0:27 PM, bob_G said:

I'm watching the news the other night and they featured the long lines at the cannabis dispensary in Leicester. I noticed there were a lot of guys standing in line, my age. Wearing camo hats, pants and coats. Clearly hunters. Local police cruisers parked nearby. If the local police were to keep track of locals visiting the dispensary, could that come back to haunt them when they go to renew their LTC or FID?

Why should it??????????????Pot is just as legal as booze,or prescription meds...…………..