Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

bob_G

11 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Why thousands of new deaths? Why haven't the deaths from millions of underground smokers of the past 3 generations come to light?

There’s families from 4 dead high schoolers in Stoughton that could tell you all about those deaths. 18 year old driver killed all of his buddies while under the influence of marijuana. I’ve seen the crime scene photos from that incident. You might change your tune a little if you saw even a fraction of that scene.

7 mins ago, JTR said:

There’s families from 4 dead high schoolers in Stoughton that could tell you all about those deaths. 18 year old driver killed all of his buddies while under the influence of marijuana. I’ve seen the crime scene photos from that incident. You might change your tune a little if you saw even a fraction of that scene.

That's a horrible tragedy. 

The kid obviously admitted to smoking, was charged. 

That is not the same as saying weed caused it. Being a reckless teen driver alone was enough. 

Doesn't matter. Now your reefer madness compatriots will trot out those bloddy crime scene photos as proof of the coming carnage.

Again, elaborate on how legalization will cause such accidents to increase by the "thousands"???

Also how will 17 year olds get weed legally?

40 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Do your local towns ban liquor stores, bars and restaurants?

Please elaborate on the few thousand deaths.

Why thousands of new deaths? Why haven't the deaths from millions of underground smokers of the past 3 generations come to light?

Nevermind weed won't cause deaths, why do you believe thousands more people will use and drive after legalization?

Do you not understand the millions of users of the past 50 Years all drove to and from their dealers? In your town.

I don't disagree money fast tracked legalization.

Liquor stores or bars are not banned, because they are heavily regulated/controlled where, for example, an establishment that serves someone who's already had too much to drink would lose their liquor license. Years of pain, suffering, and tragedies have taught our society to keep up with the heavy regulation and law enforcement. Why can't these lessons be applied to cannabis? Everyone seems to be caught up in this myth that while, for example, it is generally considered a terrible choice to drink (or text) and drive, it looks to be somewhat acceptable to get stoned a bit and drive. Shouldn't they be equally unacceptable? Where are the PSAs about this?

We could all acknowledge that people have been buying drugs from dealers, pretty much everywhere. If your argument is to then legalize the drugs (since people are buying them secretly anyway), then why we are also not legalizing heroin and cocaine? They are also plant-based. They are also used medically. What is the difference? More importantly, who makes the decision as to why one plant-based drug is acceptable whereas the other one is not?

31 mins ago, mikez2 said:

That's a horrible tragedy. 

The kid obviously admitted to smoking, was charged. 

That is not the same as saying weed caused it. Being a reckless teen driver alone was enough. 

Doesn't matter. Now your reefer madness compatriots will trot out those bloddy crime scene photos as proof of the coming carnage.

Again, elaborate on how legalization will cause such accidents to increase by the "thousands"???

Also how will 17 year olds get weed legally?

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

I’d prefer if all other drivers on the road while I was driving and my family was driving were sober.  Marijuana is proven to slow your reaction times  and affect your decision making capabilities. Therefore I don’t think it’s a good idea to make it easier to acquire something that makes the world a more dangerous place.   Feel free to argue that one from the smoky bubble that you live in, but I’m all done .

30 mins ago, tj7501 said:

Liquor stores or bars are not banned, because they are heavily regulated/controlled where, for example, an establishment that serves someone who's already had too much to drink would lose their liquor license. Years of pain, suffering, and tragedies have taught our society to keep up with the heavy regulation and law enforcement. Why can't these lessons be applied to cannabis? Everyone seems to be caught up in this myth that while, for example, it is generally considered a terrible choice to drink (or text) and drive, it looks to be somewhat acceptable to get stoned a bit and drive. Shouldn't they be equally unacceptable? Where are the PSAs about this?

We could all acknowledge that people have been buying drugs from dealers, pretty much everywhere. If your argument is to then legalize the drugs (since people are buying them secretly anyway), then why we are also not legalizing heroin and cocaine? They are also plant-based. They are also used medically. What is the difference? More importantly, who makes the decision as to why one plant-based drug is acceptable whereas the other one is not?

Are you seriously arguing that pot shops are not as strictly controlled as liquor stores? There is no medically approved use for Heroine or Cocaine, not that I would argue for their legalization even if there was.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

32 mins ago, tj7501 said:

My poor communication skills apparently. 

I should never have implied weed driving is somewhat acceptable. Weed driving is bad. Nobody should do it. I thought I made that clear. Guess not.

I meant weed impairment is not equal to alcohol impairment in any way shape or form.

I can argue my opinion all day but stats back it up.

The road carnage doesn't exist now after 4 decades of heavy stoned traffic on our roads.

Nothing about legalization changes that.

If anything, legalization having pissed off cops, I wouldn't be surprised if roads are safer. 

If even one person chooses weed over booze because of legalization, the roads got safer.

The second thing about just legalize every thing must have been epic fail on my part.

Trying to get where the thousands of new deaths would come from.

Very few virgin smokers will smoke because of legalization. 

Not thousands. 

And every last one of them would have to then cause fatalities for the predicted carnage to happen. 

14 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

I'm far more worried about texting teens than stoned ones to be honest, adults too.

I think they are on par with drunk drivers.......maybe worse.

History will show the carnage they are causing IMO.

I can see down into passing cars from my chair on the second floor.

The number of people texting is ridiculous. 

I've literally seen cars blow by cruisers while texting and the cop doesn't see because he's texting too.

With texting a new and growing phenomena, how can overall traffic accident stats in legal states be separated by weed or texting. 

Ask the drivers?

What is happening in prohibition states? Are stats similar?

I don't know the answer. Im all Googled out for the night.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Salem will open its first retail pot operation on saturday. The facility has already been in place for two years as a medical dispensary so its not new. This opening is slightly more interesting because its in a much more heavily populated semi urban area.

However sales are by appt only, so no lines. Also only residential permit parking is allowed near the building, so customers will have to park a distance away and shuttle in or find another way of getting there.

This should quell some of the fears from the "devil weed" contingent that it will be wild in the streets when the doors open this weekend.

Pfantum Pfishah

14 hours ago, mikez2 said:

If anything, legalization having pissed off cops

Not sure where this idea came from. When Jeff sessions seemed to leave the door open to the Feds cracking down on legalized cannabis in Mass, the State Police and many municipal police departments publicly stated that they would not assist in any enforcement actions by the Feds. 

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

17 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

But they are still eager to benefit from the taxes collected on it.............. :mad:

Funny how there is nothing but cricket.png.b78c1a11a858aaa3853aaf2459adeae7.png from the legalization opponents/detractors.

Seems a bit hypocritical to me............ :squid:

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

14 hours ago, mikez2 said:

With texting a new and growing phenomena, how can overall traffic accident stats in legal states be separated by weed or texting. 

Could it be this will not be an issue in the years ahead because vehicular accidents will be greatly reduced/minimized, and hopefully eliminated?

I'm talking about "smart" vehicles here.......i.e., forward collision warning, lane departure warning, rear view cameras, blind spot monitoring, pedestrian warning, automatic breaking...….and ultimately, self driving vehicles.    :wee:

Drink, smoke, text, drive,  whatever.   High tech will keep you safe.   ;)     

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Not sure where this idea came from. When Jeff sessions seemed to leave the door open to the Feds cracking down on legalized cannabis in Mass, the State Police and many municipal police departments publicly stated that they would not assist in any enforcement actions by the Feds. 

The idea came from the numbers of cops I saw interviewed on tv in which they were clearly pissed and talked at length about how they will be stepping up enforcement of DUI and child neglect. 

That attitude in turn scared a bunch of old Heads who know never trust a pissed off cop.

Those guys at least are smoking and driving LESS since legalization. 

Theoretically that could make the roads safer.

The Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association (MCOPA) strongly opposes the legalization of marijuana in Massachusetts. As veteran police officers, we believe that allowing the delivery, sales, transfer, growing, cultivating, processing and manufacturing of marijuana, and its derivatives would have a detrimental impact upon the citizens of Massachusetts for a variety of reasons.

source:  https://www.masschiefs.org/files-downloads/marijuana-updates/958-mass-chiefs-position-paper-pdf/file

" I did my worst, but I did it well "

3 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

The Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association (MCOPA) strongly opposes the legalization of marijuana in Massachusetts. As veteran police officers, we believe that allowing the delivery, sales, transfer, growing, cultivating, processing and manufacturing of marijuana, and its derivatives would have a detrimental impact upon the citizens of Massachusetts for a variety of reasons.

source:  https://www.masschiefs.org/files-downloads/marijuana-updates/958-mass-chiefs-position-paper-pdf/file

Wonder if they want to bring back prohibition to...………………...