bob_G

Hypothetical cannabis question

Rate this topic

520 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Oh dear, jumping to your point #2 about knowing what's out there, your last two points prove you know nothing about it.

Legalization of hard drugs won't ever be considered in US. For good reason. 

There are consequences for smoking weed.

You can lose your job, gun, maybe spouse if you over indulge or smoke carelessly. 

But that has always been the case. Legalization does not change that. Very few people will be added to the pool of smokers so nothing bad will happen now that wasn't happening then.

Some good things will change.

Decent people won't have their lives ruined by a lame ass pot possession charge.

Cops can focus on other, more important things, like opiates.

Some of that tax money could do good too.

Yah that whole thing about wanting to go by a stash is lame. Not one person in Massachusetts needs to by pot shop weed.

Blackmarket is everywhere.

Reagan guaranteed that when his war on drugs forced americans to learn to grow.

From that point on, no wall would ever be enough to keep out weed. It's here to stay. Regardless of legislation. 

Your last point really literally made my night.

I want go quote you elsewhere for laughs.

How is weed going to be worse than guns?

Silly man.

It is impossible to kill yourself or anyone else with weed. Impossible. 

Btw, a whole **** ton of conservative people smoke pot.

Also, many conservatives who do not smoke voted for legalization. 

(I've always thought Chuck Baker was a secret stoner.)

I’ve always thought Chuck Baker was a Democrat in disguise. Funny how that works.

My first point was very obviously sarcasm.... you must have been too stoned to pick up on that.

Ill pretend like you’re correct, I know nothing. Please, enlighten me to the benefits of smoking weed for the average stoner. Not the cancer patient or someone who needs it to medicinally to manage pain - the average stoner. What are the benefits to justify legalization?

If every smoker in the state could get it on the black market for cheaper, then what the hell is the point of fighting for legalization? It’s an ass backwards argument that everyone can get it so we should legalize. Because if that’s the case, then no one would buy from the state, since they can already get it easily and cheaper. Basic common sense (for those of us that still have common sense) supports that.

Its never going to be a quantifiable stat, but yes, I would absolutely wager that legal marijuana will be more responsible than legal guns for deaths in this state within the next decade. And 50 years down the road our kids will be dying of cancer caused by excessive marijuana use, second hand smoke, etc. And save the “it’s a natural plant” excuse - tobacco is a natural plant too.

I’ve never once heard an argument for the legalization that included the benefits to civilization besides money. Colorado would tell you that the money wasn’t worth it.

Edited by JTR

The benefits are some people need it to relax because they're so stressed out. It's just a way to relax don't believe all the I don't believe all that Madness.

Edited by Ditchbag

2 mins ago, Ditchbag said:

The benefits are some people needed to relax because they're so stressed out

Makes sense, we’ll call this one “self medication.”

One benefit down, let’s hear some more.

Edited by JTR

What’s the benefit of packing a whole bunch of THC into a gummy Bear? How readily available were edibles before legalization in other states?

13 hours ago, b-ware said:

What by-law outlaws the personal growing, possession and use of pot in Sandwich????

I could find no record of it...………..

Brother Bernie I read what I posted above and no mention was made in regards to any bylaws on this subject matter as of now, However I will better explain the process that Sandwich used that up to now has not been challenged, when it comes to recreational buying and selling here in Sandwich . let me first try to explain the medical aspect first however. The town in its infinite wisdom with good legal council put together an article on town meeting floor that limits the actual area upon where it can be sold[Medical only] It passed town meeting and also the vote of the people in an open town wide vote. This Zoning change now determines the only place it can be bought and or sold under a doctors scrip fro such use. The Board of Selectmen have the legal right to vote a medical operation in this area, once the business operator goes through an application form where all parties are Corry Tested and get approval from the local Police and other departments involved. It is a rather long and arduous process as several marijuana business found out . The Board of Selectmen are the gate way that these folks must get an approval from before it then comes before the voters for a final town approval vote.  So far no one has challenged any decision that the BOS have made . Our legal town council has used the same approach in other towns here on the cape and elsewhere in limiting this expansion of marijuana to only places that except it .

Now for the recreational ban in Sandwich . No bylaws as such as far as I know , but that may change once all of the paper work clears all the hurtles. Again an Article was placed before town meeting to pass the legalization of its use in the recreational form , it failed to get the approval of town meeting and then was placed  also before the voters of Sandwich where it also failed to obtain enough votes to pass. This was all done under the regulations and legal council of the town and state. Once this was denied by the town it went from the town clerks office  to the Attorney Generals Office for final certification. I am not clear as to if there ruling has been obtained , but once all of the review of the legal paths it followed it will come back if it has not already and may well be written in as a town Bylaw. In my opinion given the present language of the warrant article as written that would not be needed as the town observed all of the legal 

challenges . The only way, once the Attorney General approves the ban for Recreational Marijuana to be legal would be for another article to come before town meeting and a vote of the general public to change it. It can only get there by two ways one is a submission by the selectmen and legal council and the other is by a citizen petition. So as I posted above no one has yet to challenge the ban put forth before the town voters and it is unlikely they ever will given the numbers who were against it.

So if you want to keep looking for  bylaw to this ban of recreational marijuana you just might never see one, nor is one needed , given the process that was followed under the Guidance of the Attorney general office and our towns legal department.   :heart::howdy:

7 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Brother Bernie I read what I posted above and no mention was made in regards to any bylaws on this subject matter as of now, However I will better explain the process that Sandwich used that up to now has not been challenged, when it comes to recreational buying and selling here in Sandwich . let me first try to explain the medical aspect first however. The town in its infinite wisdom with good legal council put together an article on town meeting floor that limits the actual area upon where it can be sold[Medical only] It passed town meeting and also the vote of the people in an open town wide vote. This Zoning change now determines the only place it can be bought and or sold under a doctors scrip fro such use. The Board of Selectmen have the legal right to vote a medical operation in this area, once the business operator goes through an application form where all parties are Corry Tested and get approval from the local Police and other departments involved. It is a rather long and arduous process as several marijuana business found out . The Board of Selectmen are the gate way that these folks must get an approval from before it then comes before the voters for a final town approval vote.  So far no one has challenged any decision that the BOS have made . Our legal town council has used the same approach in other towns here on the cape and elsewhere in limiting this expansion of marijuana to only places that except it .

Now for the recreational ban in Sandwich . No bylaws as such as far as I know , but that may change once all of the paper work clears all the hurtles. Again an Article was placed before town meeting to pass the legalization of its use in the recreational form , it failed to get the approval of town meeting and then was placed  also before the voters of Sandwich where it also failed to obtain enough votes to pass. This was all done under the regulations and legal council of the town and state. Once this was denied by the town it went from the town clerks office  to the Attorney Generals Office for final certification. I am not clear as to if there ruling has been obtained , but once all of the review of the legal paths it followed it will come back if it has not already and may well be written in as a town Bylaw. In my opinion given the present language of the warrant article as written that would not be needed as the town observed all of the legal 

challenges . The only way, once the Attorney General approves the ban for Recreational Marijuana to be legal would be for another article to come before town meeting and a vote of the general public to change it. It can only get there by two ways one is a submission by the selectmen and legal council and the other is by a citizen petition. So as I posted above no one has yet to challenge the ban put forth before the town voters and it is unlikely they ever will given the numbers who were against it.

So if you want to keep looking for  bylaw to this ban of recreational marijuana you just might never see one, nor is one needed , given the process that was followed under the Guidance of the Attorney general office and our towns legal department.   :heart::howdy:

Thank you for the lengthy explanation about the ban on the commercial sale or cultivation of pot.  After reading this it is still very clear to me that any resident of Sandwich can still grow and consume MJ in their own home, contrary to what you have posted...……………..

PS I am not your brother...……...

2 mins ago, b-ware said:

Thank you for the lengthy explanation about the ban on the commercial sale or cultivation of pot.  After reading this it is still very clear to me that any resident of Sandwich can still grow and consume MJ in their own home, contrary to what you have posted...……………..

Bernie we are all brothers . You are correct under the present law in Massachusetts one can grow I believe 10 plants in there home and smoke it as well. just so that we are all on the same page in life. :heart::howdy: 

59 mins ago, b-ware said:

You are correct Bernie.  Marijuana can be smoked and consumed statewide in the privacy of ones home providing they're 21. Even in Sandwich.

And yes, even in Sandwich a household is allowed to grow 6 plants (12 plants if there's 2 adults) for personal use.

Edited by bob_G

43 mins ago, bob_G said:

You are correct Bernie.  Marijuana can be smoked and consumed statewide in the privacy of ones home providing they're 21. Even in Sandwich.

And yes, even in Sandwich a household is allowed to grow 6 plants (12 plants if there's 2 adults) for personal use.

Weeddddddddddddddd

DSC_0449 (1).JPG

3 hours ago, JTR said:

I’ve always thought Chuck Baker was a Democrat in disguise. Funny how that works.

My first point was very obviously sarcasm.... you must have been too stoned to pick up on that.

Ill pretend like you’re correct, I know nothing. Please, enlighten me to the benefits of smoking weed for the average stoner. Not the cancer patient or someone who needs it to medicinally to manage pain - the average stoner. What are the benefits to justify legalization?

If every smoker in the state could get it on the black market for cheaper, then what the hell is the point of fighting for legalization? It’s an ass backwards argument that everyone can get it so we should legalize. Because if that’s the case, then no one would buy from the state, since they can already get it easily and cheaper. Basic common sense (for those of us that still have common sense) supports that.

Its never going to be a quantifiable stat, but yes, I would absolutely wager that legal marijuana will be more responsible than legal guns for deaths in this state within the next decade. And 50 years down the road our kids will be dying of cancer caused by excessive marijuana use, second hand smoke, etc. And save the “it’s a natural plant” excuse - tobacco is a natural plant too.

I’ve never once heard an argument for the legalization that included the benefits to civilization besides money. Colorado would tell you that the money wasn’t worth it.

The possible benifits of recreational marijuana is possibly more people will drink less and smoke more.

Then there will be less strife.

Weed is anti-dickhead medicine.

Society could use a whopping dose of that.

No, that's not a good reason for legalization. 

As far as I'm concerned, the purpose of legalization is to end the foolish and costly prohibition that ties up law enforcement that should be better deployed. 

Also to stop filling our jails at tax payer expense.

I personally would have been happy with that.

Pot shops of course appeal to stoners but it wasn't greed for stash, it was greed for CASH that paased the law.

Now, for the entertainment. 

Please elaborate on how pot will kill people and why it should start now, after 60 years of millions of smokers?

Edited by mikez2

In college I believe it was in a cultural anthropology class that we discussed the history of marijuana in this country, and several theories why it was so vilified. Given it was the early 70s, this was a popular topic.

Marijuana came to the forefront towards the end of prohibition. This was esp true among the Mexican migrant workers who introduced it. When prohibition ended, the immigrant community continued to use marijuana since it was far cheaper than govt sanctioned liquor.

But it was the powerful liquor and distillers lobby who really pressured the govt into making it illegal. They feared free marijuana brought in or grown by migrant workers would cut into their profits. This also worked out perfectly for another reason. With the end of prohibition, the govt suddenly had a bunch of unemployed liqour agents. These guys suddenly and seamlessly morphed into drug agents who job was to eradicate weed, and in a widely regarded racist move, target migrant workers in the process.

Wasn't DuPont also part of the process, in that they lobbied for the prohibition of hemp culture, so it could not compete with their nylon products, particularly rope.

On 12/1/2018 at 0:27 PM, bob_G said:

I'm watching the news the other night and they featured the long lines at the cannabis dispensary in Leicester. I noticed there were a lot of guys standing in line, my age. Wearing camo hats, pants and coats. Clearly hunters. Local police cruisers parked nearby. If the local police were to keep track of locals visiting the dispensary, could that come back to haunt them when they go to renew their LTC or FID?

Iv'e recently asked the same question... not worth the risk 

I do not own firearms so obviously I do not have a LTC. But if I did(given what I know about the dispensaries) would I still choose have my license scanned to purchase weed?

Admittedly a very tough question, but I do still think I would buy there.

Imo, I do not think the license scan puts a gun owner at grave immediate risk for losing their rights/ LTC. Yes I would be uncomfortable with the scan, but I do not view it as a high probability risk.

On the other hand, I would not be completely 100% comfortable until dispensaries simply look at licenses the same way liquor stores do: with their eyes only