Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sunobskt

Boca area fishing info

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Thinking I might take the yak down to Boca in April. How is fishing for LMB in the Loxahatchee, also info on other options for freshwater would be appreciated. So many small lakes down there, access options would be helpful. Also if the saltwater info accessible by kayak would be appreciated. Did the algae blooms affect this are significantly? Thanks.

Just east of Boca and a bit north on 441 is the  Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge. Nice launch site there, endless canals, about the only place around there with easy access into the Glades for yaking. Lotta small lakes around in Boca, yes, but most guarded. Boca very walled up with most places having security gates. Not a very open minded free spirited place at all. Lived there for a spell. Good luck. 

32 mins ago, zcoker said:

Just east of Boca and a bit north on 441 is the  Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge. Nice launch site there, endless canals, about the only place around there with easy access into the Glades for yaking. Lotta small lakes around in Boca, yes, but most guarded. Boca very walled up with most places having security gates. Not a very open minded free spirited place at all. Lived there for a spell. Good luck. 

appreciate your input

Posted (edited) · Report post

Kcoker

What about South Inland Park ( beach and inlet ) There looks like some parking spots.

Was thinking about going there myself. Is that gated and you pay or do you need a pass?  Also do there let you fish on the beach?

what about the bridges on E Camino Real leading into S beach Blvd. 

Edited by ccb

Yeah, most of those places you mention are okay for fishing salt water....that is, if you can get a parking spot. Limited parking there. Everyone and their mother and their sister Sarah park there on weekends LoL. Best bet is weekdays. Little cheaper to park on weekdays. Some spots there are like $20 bucks! Uggg. I hate paid parking.

Have never had an issue surf fishing the Boca beaches. Don't think you can fish on that Camino bridge. I wouldn't fish the beaches or bridges anyway. I mean, I would but I'd fish near or around an inlet. Lighthouse Point another good spot. All in all, I hunt for sharks, so these towns are not so friendly to guys like me LoL. So I steer clear. Don't think anyone else with other intentions will have any problems fishing the beaches and surrounding areas. Another good spot is in Dania, the park there, called Dr. Von D. Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park....eek, what a name for a park! Still nice and wild, woody, natural coast line. Have hooked into some nice stuff there. Better places are a hop-skip-jump from Boca.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:57 AM, sunobskt said:

Thinking I might take the yak down to Boca in April. How is fishing for LMB in the Loxahatchee, also info on other options for freshwater would be appreciated. So many small lakes down there, access options would be helpful. Also if the saltwater info accessible by kayak would be appreciated. Did the algae blooms affect this are significantly? Thanks.

Couple miles north of boca check out lake Ida in delray, plenty of places to park/launch in the canals or the lake proper.  The whole system is loaded with peacocks, LMB, and always a good shot at clown knifefish.  

Also check out some of the spillways where the freshwater dumps into the brackish/salt canals.  If theyre releasing water they can be loaded with snook.

11 mins ago, sunobskt said:

Sounds good. What do the knife fish hit? They look awesome. 

I've only caught them on live shiners, truly an incredible fish.  They can push 10 lbs, jump, and swim backwards.  I'm sure they can be caught on artificials but I've been told by some of the charter guys that its beyond rare.

You'll see them rolling the surface just like tarpon.  If you see em and have shiners, id try putting a split shot on to keep em down towards the bottom.

1 hour ago, sunobskt said:

How bout lake Osborne north of there?

I believe they are connected and the clowns have made their way north but I’ve never fished it myself.  I don’t think they have the peacocks, I’ve heard ida is about as far north as they can survive.

14 hours ago, sunobskt said:

ok thanks for the input. looks like i am gonna do it.

Go for it man, I've tried to spend a couple weeks down there every year, used to pretty much stick to saltwater.  Once I found out lake ida was loaded with peacocks I spend all my daytime fishing there.

If you want numbers/size I'd say use live shiners.

7 mins ago, sunobskt said:

got that in the back of my mind after watching a few vids on clown knifefish.

7 seas bait and tackle in boca usually has shiners, decent sized ones in good condition.  I cant remember the name of the tackle shop close to the lake but the 2 times i went in there they were in pretty bad condition.  Could have just been the last of the tank but I feel 7 seas just keeps em better.