Ravens52988

Microwave Guides

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Microwave guides.

Does anybody have any rods with these guides on them?

Im building a new custom lure rod where these types of guides in theory, should work better than regular guides. The pictures and description on how/why it it helps performance makes sense.

What im asking is are they worth it in the sense theres a significant difference or am i ok with other guides like a single or double foot etc.

Edited by Ravens52988

I built an American Shad rod using the Tsunami series (Ti) 

I noticed little improvement over standard guides

Save your money

1 hour ago, fluke07 said:

May want to post in Rod Building forum

I know, and i will, but this is also a rod using forum and it doesnt hurt to get info/feedback from users that might not ever be on that forum.

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I built an American Shad rod using the Tsunami series (Ti) 

I noticed little improvement over standard guides

Save your money

Thats what im thinking, from my understanding, it looks like its designed to cut down on the "tornado" effect when the line comes off the spool kinda how a conventional reel doesnt have the effect a spinning reel does(more straight/less tornado) but the extra yards id get doesnt seem worth it for the money id pay when i could just change the weight of the line or lure.

Edited by Ravens52988

1 min ago, fluke07 said:

Most of the guys who post on that forum are users of what they build. They are just like you

I know, asking them was a given,im asking here also cuz it doesnt hurt to ask 2 groups instead of just 1.

Just built 4 6'6" jigging rods with them. Nice set up. I think the amount of line slap on the first guide could be an issuse on windy days but only time will tell. The amount of guides they supply to use definitely helps with sensitivity. I could probably do a Fuji guide lay out to get the same results though. 

1 hour ago, GoneCoastal said:

Just built 4 6'6" jigging rods with them. Nice set up. I think the amount of line slap on the first guide could be an issuse on windy days but only time will tell. The amount of guides they supply to use definitely helps with sensitivity. I could probably do a Fuji guide lay out to get the same results though. 

What blank material and power/action did u make? And isnt a microwave guide supposed to prevent line slap to the first guide? 

Edited by Ravens52988

The rods heavy action rated to 1.5. I set the stripper at the factory spec and moved it around as well. Because of the way the the guide is designed it seems to  flare out as the line hit the guide. 

1 hour ago, 197esmer said:

I am aware of a fellow builder (Newark, De.) who swears by them. He uses what he builts fishing IRI. I personally have 2 sets awaiting builds. 

Do you know this fellow builders username? I fish iri a lot and would like to talk to him and have you used the microwave guides before? If so, what did you think of them?

Edited by Ravens52988