luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - Winter 2018-19

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I too saw some gulls in close diving on the webcams last week. But, aside from a single gannet, I haven't seen any bird activity on the water when I've actually been up there. Gulls haven't been doing anything but sitting. I did see a nice surface splash in front of me today but  beyond casting range.

Edited by castnet

9 hours ago, castnet said:

I too saw some gulls in close diving on the webcams last week. But, aside from a single gannet, I haven't seen any bird activity on the water when I've actually been up there. Gulls haven't been doing anything but sitting. I did see a nice surface splash in front of me today but  beyond casting range.

You ever thought about taking the kayak out there on calm days? Looked calm yesterday but distance of web cams from water is probably deceiving. 

On 12/5/2018 at 6:11 PM, kurazy kracka said:

I think ASMFC findings in February may show it is overfished from some chatter I've seen on here from recent NE meetings. 

I blame recs just as much, you should see how ignorant they are in the chesapeake bay area when it comes to the declining biomass. Give them good hard data and they still reject it.   Every one of them makes the excuse that the fish they keep dont impact the fishery. Eastern shore watermen, they are all pricks, plain and simple. 

The fishery is doomed, just depends how soon it crashes but I'm sure it will. 

+1

On 12/6/2018 at 8:49 AM, JAL said:

They are commercial in the Chesapeake, just hiding under the "recreational badge". They don't do it for the goodness of their heart, they fish for $$$. Granted, there is a smaller percent that guide and truly promote catch and release, but the bulk of them are meat charters for their clients. Also, quite a few supplement the business as pin hookers for their quota under a commercial fishery license when they don't have clients scheduled.

Yeah. I was crossing the bay bridge last fall and there were at least half a dozen head stacked up off Sandy Point. It's shameful, and there's some old fart that shows up at every public meeting to talk about how the head boat fleet is going out of business if they can't keep small fish. I say good riddance. Slot limits are really the only way to enhance the fishery. The current regs are custom made to wipe out the breeding stock. Guys on the coast can ONLY keep big fish, and the Chesapeake bay has a trophy season. This is fisheries management?

On 12/1/2018 at 5:10 PM, allen sklar said:

I would like to note that we used to catch a lot of fish in the winter....but hardly anyone is fishing now....maybe that is the reason.....but more likely there are no fish.

Here's a  2007 shot...... Jan. no less....

I think Ron Evans or Gary Smith's dad  took the photo.. 

ABC_1681.jpg

Happen to keep a log? Curious to know what the ocean temps were like for ya's back then in Jan. Them fish had been eating pretty good. 

20 hours ago, Salt Roach said:

Has anyone heard of any fish being caught from the beach this fall? I haven't but I haven't been looking too hard. 

Other than a short but decent run of big Reds the last week of Sept / first week of Oct I havent seen much of anything posted this fall....here or at the tackle shop websites. This fall was pretty poor compared to last (  Nov 2017 thru Dec Assateague had a pretty steady run of slot sized reds...they were still being caught  on the Outer Banks in early January!  They didnt show up this year. I wont even get into the striped bass situation...they have been pretty much a no show on the Delmarva beaches in the fall for 5-7 years now? ) Not sure of the reasons...change in migration patterns? The two hurricanes followed by that Noreaster shouldn't have been the sole cause...we've had stormy fall seasons before. A lot of people I talked to on the Delmarva and the OBX thought this fall  season was running a month behind schedule due to how warm the water temps seemed...but once the cool down started it cooled down fast. Whatever the reasons for the difference between last fall and this fall...one thing for sure was the incredible amount of rainfall that persisted all year...wettest spring summer and fall I can remember...got tired of the rain clouds ....seemed like you couldn't get two sunny days back to back all year. Not sure what all that wetness did to the watershed but it was the most notable feature of this past year.

Edited by dixiekraut

The only striped bass of note I'm hearing about recently were the big ones being caught in good numbers by boaters miles offshore up north ...and the sporadic schoolies nabbed by rod and reel guys casting near inlets here and a few starting to show further south around Corolla Kitty Hawk. Fall fishing for rockfish these days seems to have become mainly a boaters game anymore....

It's been posted on threads here that decent numbers and sizes of striped bass are being caught by boaters up north....10 miles offshore! That seems to have become the new normal for the fall migration. Wonder if its due in part to the lack of big bait schools closer in...