luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - Winter 2018-19

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Which brings us to a certain fishing news outlet here in Delmarva. These guys crack me up. Constantly advertising their distaste for the 3 mile line and not being able to keep 2 fish at 28”.  Their thinking seems to be hammer fish wherever you want and keep limits. If it wasn’t for that 3 mile line, there would be no stripers!!! That is literally their safe haven. The assateague fisherman here used to get nice fish in the fall and winter. Same with Delaware.  Now there is no even measley trace of a fall run of migratory fish in these waters near the beach. That had to of been a certain strain of fish that just got wiped out. Yes, fish went down to NC and they got into them too.  There used to be a spring and fall run that worked what sounds like an organized orchestra of the fish moving the bait showing up a gradual movement of the bite going north or south.  A friend of mine I made up in New Jersey 3 years ago explained it perfectly. Replacement fish. You would get a run of fish and have little to no down time because fish would in essence keep replacing each other until it was just too cold starting withthe mullet run. Like fish would be around more often than not. Now it isn’t like that. It sounds like the fishing is just terrible now and with my limited experience I have noticed a drop off in hear say of reports, actual fishing reports and my own catching and not catching. It’s crazy. It’s like a snowball effect of a crazy magnitude. The fish seem to be doomed if severe action isn’t taken. Then you got guys like that news outlet saying give me more! Give me more! Only for us to become on the brink of the fish actually existing and making their migrations anymore! It’s sad! To think you need to go beyond 3 miles JUST to get into fish is downright SAD!!!!!!!!

ACFB919B-1C72-4B0E-868B-AA282DB95A42.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Which brings us to a certain fishing news outlet here in Delmarva. These guys crack me up. Constantly advertising their distaste for the 3 mile line and not being able to keep 2 fish at 28”.  Their thinking seems to be hammer fish wherever you want and keep limits. If it wasn’t for that 3 mile line, there would be no stripers!!! That is literally their safe haven. The assateague fisherman here used to get nice fish in the fall and winter. Same with Delaware.  Now there is no even measley trace of a fall run of migratory fish in these waters near the beach. That had to of been a certain strain of fish that just got wiped out. Yes, fish went down to NC and they got into them too.  There used to be a spring and fall run that worked what sounds like an organized orchestra of the fish moving the bait showing up a gradual movement of the bite going north or south.  A friend of mine I made up in New Jersey 3 years ago explained it perfectly. Replacement fish. You would get a run of fish and have little to no down time because fish would in essence keep replacing each other until it was just too cold starting withthe mullet run. Like fish would be around more often than not. Now it isn’t like that. It sounds like the fishing is just terrible now and with my limited experience I have noticed a drop off in hear say of reports, actual fishing reports and my own catching and not catching. It’s crazy. It’s like a snowball effect of a crazy magnitude. The fish seem to be doomed if severe action isn’t taken. Then you got guys like that news outlet saying give me more! Give me more! Only for us to become on the brink of the fish actually existing and making their migrations anymore! It’s sad! To think you need to go beyond 3 miles JUST to get into fish is downright SAD!!!!!!!!

Editing to add: regulations are regulations and if people keep their limits then that is fine because it is in accordance to the law. That’s great and glad people can get good meals out of the fish or whatever, I keep one here and there too. But the 3 mile line should always be a safe haven, we need tighter regulations, do away with netting or try to figure out some way to protect year classes of fish at a certain size where they can safely be caught and released or go through big holes in nets to successfully spawn for several years, we need asmfc to get their heads out of their asses and the states to just come to an agreement with one another and whatever else that needs to happen needs to happen so we can protect this resource and be more careful with it so we all can enjoy it somehow and keep it healthy.  Sorry for the rant

CEADA201-0765-4338-94D3-00EB18FA46B1.jpeg

Edited by linesiderdemdnj
Cut name of web site off

More and more is what they want, these fish are in real trouble I believe. Another crash is on the way and it might be what actually will save them in the end. You would think people would have learned from the past but seems that’s not the case. Just more excuses . 

Edited by Jim McFeeley

One thing is, back when the run was good we had schools of bunker all over the beach, I never bought bait just snagged it, most days a couple dozen casts with the silver spider and you had all the bait you needed. Gannett's were everywhere then, now not ****, no bunker no birds no fish. 

All the fish we found  last and this year offshore were mainly on big schools hearing or mackeral only one small school on bunker. 

In my opinion the reason there are no bass is no bunker complements of the bunker boats in VA.

No big blues in the surf anymore...and fewer and fewer big rock fish. Based on my experiences of late the only truly healthy fishery seemed to be the red drum...of which good quantities of slot sized fish were caught last fall from November into December and even in January down on the OBX. This plus a decent run of big Reds in late Sept early Oct at A.I. from what I heard.  Could the reason be because the big breeding fish are protected?

Edited by dixiekraut

2 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

No big blues in the surf anymore...and fewer and fewer big rock fish. Based on my experiences of late the only truly healthy fishery seemed to be the red drum...of which good quantities of slot sized fish were caught last fall from November into December and even in January down on the OBX. This plus a decent run of big Reds in late Sept early Oct at A.I. from what I heard.  Could the reason be because the big breeding fish are protected?

Absolutely

I wonder how things would go for the rod and reel fisherman if the mid Atlantic states got together and gave the striped bass game fish status...making it off limits to commercial harvesting.

11 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

I wonder how things would go for the rod and reel fisherman if the mid Atlantic states got together and gave the striped bass game fish status...making it off limits to commercial harvesting.

2/3 of stripers are harvested by recs so wouldn't it make a huge impact compared to stricter limits for recs. Only way to save them is do a slot like the reds. 

Edited by kurazy kracka

I think Rocks and Reds has it. Used to have big schools of bait going north in the spring. Usually Blues but some Rockfish and Reds following. I remember the waves red with blood from Bluefish chasing them to shore.

Fall there were seemingly endless schools of Peanuts ad Silversides headed south.

I rarely see this any more.

But is it lack of bait or does the bait stay offshore?

I saw schools or Silversides this year hauling ass south with 8 inch Bluefish following. That is all the bait schools I saw this year.

Most likely it is a combination of factors which bring us to our currant situation. Bait schools being sucked up for fish feed and fish oil.

Overfishing caused by several years of good fishing so many more take advantage of the resource, Commercial and Recreational.

Weather changes, this becomes more obvious from the changes in other fisheries further north. Lobsters moving north, Black Bass further north.

Warmer water up north allows the fish to remain North till later in the season. When the do come south the warm water is out from shore well beyond our reach from shore.

I do have another peeve. I hate seeing people catching Rock after Rock catch and release yes but don't you think this damages the stock ? How many die from poor handling. Dragging little fish through the sand to get pictures of a 15" fish. Some do it right but some are killing fish and don't think they are.

Proper handling of fish after catch is something many of us are on the learning curve about. I remember when I caught my first big red at Assateague many years ago...a 42 incher...it was standard procedure once beached to stick your hand under a gill plate and lift... pose for a picture and then release it into the surf. I saw it swim off but now I wonder if it survived the fight and landing...the procedure now is once beached you cradle the fish like a baby. Another thing many of us have thankfully learned is circle hooks. First bull red my buddy landed was a big 44 lb fish...unfortunately back in those days he was still using J-Hooks The fish swallowed the bait and was gut hooked...it did not survive the landing and release. Every fish I have caught since I started using circle hooks....no matter what the species.... has been hooked on the outside of the lower lip...and seemed pretty frisky when released.

I suspect that the large groups of bass out 10-20 miles have always been there, but the ones that follow the coastal migration are gone, both due to lack of bait, as R&R mentioned, and due to VA comms.  The spring decline i can mark with a single week event from the VA comms in 2012 i believe. Mentioned that before.  Its not getting better after that.

Keep in mind in talking about the larger fish, the +40" fish....

Edited by luckyOC

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 0:16 AM, dixiekraut said:

Sadly, we'll go through another moratorium (or two) before that happens. For starters, Maryland is the 'Seafood State' and promoted HEAVILY by MD.GOV. The GOV will continue to manage in the commercial interest, including the "commercial" recreational fishing, ie. spring charter business. I just don't see game fish status being pushed on a state level from Maryland, let alone any mid-Atlantic or N.E. state.

Responders to this topic here and in another thread seem to be in disagreement over which aspect of the fishing world is taking the most striped bass...one poster claimed 2/3rds of the take is by recreational fishermen...meaning the guy with a rod and reel standing on the beach...plus all those party boat people trolling them up with umbrella rigs and what not...leaving the remaining third to gill netters, etc selling them on the market. Wondering if this is in fact the way it is.

I have known some Gill betters in va that kill every rockfish they catch and throw it back. They are pissed they can’t get a license, and take it out on the fish. Wonderful people.

2 hours ago, Drummerbeedude said:

I have known some Gill betters in va that kill every rockfish they catch and throw it back. They are pissed they can’t get a license, and take it out on the fish. Wonderful people.

Gill netting for what?