luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - Winter 2018-19

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

Time for the winter reports thread, hope everyone is staying warm!

Staying warm for now. But getting ready for some winter fly fishing for trout. I'm calling it quits for the season for the surf. Now i'll also be getting gear and truck ready for next season. Tight lines.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know my posts sound like a broken record.....but compared to the run of slot reds at the AI VA beaches we had last Nov Dec this fall season on the surf so far is shaping up as less than spectacular...rather disappointing  actually. I know the guys who happened to be on the Md side last week of Sept / first week of Oct had a memorable experience with some big citation size reds...but other than that I havent seen any reports of consistent catching...fish seem to be scattered...few and far between. Was it the one two punch of those fall storms? And that Noreaster? Unless some stripers make an appearance ( and that hasn't been the case for fall fishing for a few years now ) then I'd say we have had a really down year for fall fishing.

Edited by dixiekraut

Couldn't agree more DK. We couldn't have timed things worse, both our trips down to AIVA this fall happened to coincide with hurricanes.....

I would like to note that we used to catch a lot of fish in the winter....but hardly anyone is fishing now....maybe that is the reason.....but more likely there are no fish.

Here's a  2007 shot...... Jan. no less....

I think Ron Evans or Gary Smith's dad  took the photo.. 

ABC_1681.jpg

There are huge schools of stripers 4 1/2 miles of the beaches right now. Lots of cows being killed at the mouth of the Chesapeake whenever the boats can get out. Once again the De and Md beaches are being passed by.

Sad if true....that seems to be the fall pattern these past few years for the rockfish. Meanwhile over on the Jersey forum plug casters seem to finally be tying into good numbers of fat football stripers in the 20 to 26 inch range...feasting on sand eels. This after weeks of dealing with high winds and dirty water.

14 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

Sad if true....that seems to be the fall pattern these past few years for the rockfish. Meanwhile over on the Jersey forum plug casters seem to finally be tying into good numbers of fat football stripers in the 20 to 26 inch range...feasting on sand eels. This after weeks of dealing with high winds and dirty water.

Dont listen to them calling the fish 20-26". The majority of the fish are more like 14-20"

I remember hearing 05 was great, and that new years, you could fish with a t-shirt (was warm that day, i remember that, but i wasn't fishing)...  don't think it was just the weather, those fish that came down the coast are gone.  I would love to go out this time of the year and catch, but it doesn't seem to work that way... many dont even come out after the drum run anymore....

The successive state record striped bass back in the early 2000s speak for themselves. Hatteras even had great fall runs on the beaches back then. I'm convinced those fish were the matured rockfish from the protected year classes of 1986 and on during the moratorium years. Now we seem to be heading back to where we were pre-moratorium ....unless some kind of action is taken. I like the candy dish analogy somebody posted on one of the threads here. When the dish is full the candy spills over the edges and everybody gets some. When there's little candy to be had...what remains falls in the bottom of the deep dish and it is harder to reach.