Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RyanWilliams

How Much Do You Value Fuji Guides?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

When purchasing a rod how important are fuji components throughou the rod to you? For example, I have been doing alot of searches on this site in the differences between the Team Daiwa and the Sealine X. It seems the the Sealine is preferred to the Team Daiwa, even though the Sealine doesn't have fuji guides. Are the fuji guides that important to you? Guys that fish with the Sealine: does it concern you that the guides are not fuji?

Could be an interesting topic of debate......

I own an 11' Sealine-x casting model, and so far the "KS" (Korean Special?) branded guides have worked out well fairly well. The Daiwa hyped Titanium Nitrided Zirconia "gold" coating of the top guide quickly wore away using mono. Sure, it would have been better IMO to have Fuji guides with the Fuji reel-seat.

This same brand of guides, but a different style used on the Eliminator are pathetic. The frame material is too small, too soft, and too flexy.

My main reason I like Fuji guides is ease of getting an exact replacement if/when you break one. Say you broke a BSVLG-20, it is just that easy to get the exact replacement. You know the guide insert will be the same color, hardness and size as before, and the frame will be exact as well.

Sure there are other quality guides out there, but it is just easier for me to own Fuji.

SS

The guides on the Eliminators are that bad? I had mono on one from June till mid September then braid from then till mid November and I haven't found any cracks yet.

No problem with the ring material... the frames are too thin in my experience. BTW, mine is a casting model.

The worst offender is the first guide above the reel-seat. This guides frame distorts easily, and has proven fragile. Can't expect much from a $42, 11' surf rod, but still the guides are inadequate IMO.

The rod casts well, but has the most dead feel of any surf rod I have used. Bought the rod by picture/prod description only as a backup. In this role, it does its job.

SS

Ryan, the Sealine X series is "so popular" precisely because it is "so dependable". That particular rod line offers tremendous bang for the buck as do most of the other lower priced rods you've gotten advice on such as the Tica and the OM's. Guidewise, everything else is not crap by any means. You'll get plenty long and useful life out of many other guide lines including several series within the oft-maligned Pac Bay products.

Fuji's stuff in general is a notch above the competition and that's exactly why you'll see it on higher end factory rods. And it costs a bit more which is exactly why you don't see their guides on hundred buck surf rods. If rod's earned good press with serious surfcasters, you can rest assured you're going to get money's worth out of it, and it should be simple enough to accept that there's got a be a few factors in the equation which get these great bargains to market at such reasonable prices.

I've had problems with pac bay guides popping rings before. One thing I have to say about factory made rods that advertise they use fuji guides is that sometimes they really don't look like fuji's to me. More like pac bay. But they still have that little fuji tag hanging from the guide. One more reason why I started building my own rods.

look ON the guide for the fuji logo. i have heard rumors that fuji and other co.s make lesser quality guides without their names on them for the big rod co's factory rods.

if i dont SEE fuji on the guide i wont have faith in it.

and FWIW almost all the noname or crap-bay guides ive used on factory rods have cracked rusted or bent out, and almost all the rod repairs ive done have been on pacbay or no name guides. only seen 2 fuji's break ever.

so why are sealines etc. so polular? cause they are soooo cheap you can throw them away after a couple seasons. OTOH a custom rod will last much longer and be much more expensive, and therefore should be made using the most durable and reliable guides. fuji's.