GM26

PENN Spinfisher V CNC Upgrade

5 posts in this topic

Can someone please share their experience about swapping out the stock Spinfisher V zinc/pot metal gear with the CNC upgrade kit. Mainly was the upgrade worth it and how does the reel feel/perform?

I upgraded to the CNC gears in my 4500V after a few years of abusing the little reel. I even had Penn install the gears, clean, and replace some other parts, because the whole price was reasonable, and I had a lot on my plate at the time. The new gears have always felt toothy, but improved when I loosened the rotor nut and took one gear shim out. That was 2 yrs ago (I think). During subsequent cleanings I've noted the new gear is still in near factory condition. 

IDK if the upgrade was worth it, but I suspect I'll change out every other part (eventually) and the new gear will still be fine. 

Rather than do the swap I sold my 5500 Spinfisher V (nothing wrong at all with it after 100's of hours including a few commercial trips to Cape Cod) to a kid for a good deal and picked up a Slammer 3 5500. Good gears, sealing, better drag it was a no brainer. 

i put the cnc gears in my ssv 6500. probably didn't need it but i couldn't help myself. i fish 30 lb braid and aim for 10 lb drag (estimated). so the question is are the original gears strong enough to deal with 10 lbs ? i am sure they are. so new gears not necessary for me but like i said i can't help myself. new gears have been fine, smooth. now a lifetime reel but it probably was before as well .....with proper care that is

tip: if you "seal" the entry points of the reel with aquashield grease, especially the pinion gear assembly, it becomes a "waterproof" reel