cityevader

Surf reel for "abusive relationship"

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2018 at 1:01 PM, davef said:

used penn 704's can be had for 45 bucks or so. I've treated my 7xx series Penns like a rented mule and never had a problem.

But bump it up a few bucks and get a 706, Greenie, Z series, doesn't matter

Pack it with grease, spool it with 20# original Fireline - You can't kill em

Put it on a Lami XS101MS and you're set for the next 20 years

Another option is a Penn 650SS - the older all metal version 

I like the bail on them better than the 704 iffin you're a wire bail guy

On 11/30/2018 at 2:11 PM, blacklabnh said:

704 or 706 those are nice for shelves as displays. Sure there built well but I wouldnt want to fish with one all day - hell I wouldnt want to fish with one for an hour

Why?

Beats me

I've fished em for years uncounted

My 706 greenie is regulated to backup duty now but still get fished occasionally just because I like it

And if it's the noise from the roller that bothers you just get the ball bearing upgrade, shuts it right up

1 min ago, heisenburger said:

Why?

I'm wondering as well. Honestly they aren't any that much worse than a VS when it comes down to being a smooth or enjoyable to fish. They definitly are not shimano smooth and they aren't light like the modern reels but neither are VS or ZB and nobody (usually) complains about those.

The penns are old technology but they are classic surf reels that will take a beating and keep on ticking all for a good price.

For 25 shipped, or so, maybe $30, I got an Okuma avenger from Tackle Direct. I put it on my ugly cat rod I found in the dumpster on vacation.  I think a very large fish could twist the reel stem permanently, but for the small fish, maybe 3lbs, it’s a great set up. Kids could fish all day with it.

My philosophy on going budget is going super budget. If it breaks in two season what am I out?

7 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Beats me

I've fished em for years uncounted

My 706 greenie is regulated to backup duty now but still get fished occasionally just because I like it

I would be willing to bet after I am dead and gone, my grand children could fish those old Penns, while some of my $250 baitcasters will be landfill.

21 mins ago, cityevader said:

Thank you all for the advice.

Just got my fishing licence for the year, and decided to have my boy (whom is the one that's rough on gear) use the 710z i recently bought.

And now I'm about to make a purchase for myself...and I assume the following combo is good for tossing bucktails and SP Minnows, etc?

Direct from Penn, a Spinfisher V for $70 and a 9' Prevail 3/4oz-3oz lure size for $80 and free shipping, totalling $150 to my doorstep (I can live with that price.)

Sounds like a good combo, especial for the price. Penn makes a good product throughout their price lineup.

The Spinfisher is a nice reel. My 5500 has had issues with the anti reverse but honestly that's my fault for asking it to do stuff it shouldn't.

I cant speak for the 9' prevail but my first rod when I began fishing the canal was the 11' prevail and it's a good stick for the money.

I will say, one of my absolute favorite 9' rods in the $80-100 price range is the Star Stellar lite. IMO its an absolute great rod for short money and a lot of fun to throw bucktails, sp's, etc. 

8 hours ago, heisenburger said:

Why?

I'd rather not and there is no reason for me to use a 20 plus oz spin reel for striped bass. Don't need the spool size for distance. I fish by boat now and the 4500 Slammer 3 is my reel. I have a few 5500's that come along but no need to use them for striped bass. 

2 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Or you could go old school all the way ! A honey lami with a custom 706z

3A124DE8-138D-47D8-B7A1-7E94D54D79C5.jpeg

FD32E2C7-F402-4D04-A7BF-1780B54938ED.jpeg

That's a sweet setup 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I agree with the 704z. I use one as a back up. I do not find it fun to fish with as it’s heavy and a coffee grinder, but it can absolutely take all the abuse you throw at it, and can be had for $50-80 on e-bay.

If you’re going to pay full price for a slammer III, I’d look into the saragosa as well. I’ve abused and dunked mine on numerous occasions, and have yet to have any water intrusion. I would not consider these reels cheap, just cheaper than the “top of the line” reels.

Edited by C.Robin

2 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

I'd rather not and there is no reason for me to use a 20 plus oz spin reel for striped bass. Don't need the spool size for distance. I fish by boat now and the 4500 Slammer 3 is my reel. I have a few 5500's that come along but no need to use them for striped bass. 

Boat

Now that makes sense