cityevader

Surf reel for "abusive relationship"

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

hmm...maybe i'll get the older Penn 710 for my hand-me-down Shakespeare Alpha Custom SP 7' pole, and get the V4500 for the new 9' pole... shorter one for my boy, longer one for me!   or...shorter one for Perch, longer for Stripers.

Edited by cityevader

13 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Id say go with a slammer 3 in 4500 size it is sealed will last longer than a battle and is smooth as butter

I second that. The 4500 is a great all around reel.

23 hours ago, Big Will said:

I agree with the z series or even one of the green ones. Find the 710 and put some 20lb fireline on it. It will last forever. 

14# Fireline...

On 11/30/2018 at 1:32 PM, Beachorbust said:

2nd on the greenies or it's.  3 or so moving parts, dirt cheap and bombproof.

Heavy, line lay isn't great and they are slow, but life is about tradeoffs.

If you're not terribly committed to fishing get into it for as little as possible and pick up a 704 or 710 or both for less than a hundred bucks.

This advice is PERFECT.  

Slammer 3 4500, I have it and 5500. 4500 is perfect size. Use amazon shopping button on this site. Pick it up for 200 bucks free shipping and be done. Ive had mine 2 and a quarter seasons . They are finally going back to Penn for service, Im gonna ask Tony on the Penn forum here to take pics when they open it up. Mine have been dunked and splashed and dropped in sand and have never lost their smoothness.

8 hours ago, reelfire said:

Slammer 3 4500, I have it and 5500. 4500 is perfect size. Use amazon shopping button on this site. Pick it up for 200 bucks free shipping and be done. Ive had mine 2 and a quarter seasons . They are finally going back to Penn for service, Im gonna ask Tony on the Penn forum here to take pics when they open it up. Mine have been dunked and splashed and dropped in sand and have never lost their smoothness.

Same story, I try to take care of my gear but surf fishing is going to set up accidental dunks and spray.  I was surf fishing with my Daiwa BG3000 and BG4000 and had a couple accidents (overwash and dropped rod), had to tear them down and completely clean, lube, etc.  Bought two sealed reels - Slammer III 5500 and 4500 - my surf reels now.  I wash them with a hose and put a drop of oil on the line roller upon return from each trip - very pleased with these reels for the surf.  OH

Edited by Old Hunter

18 mins ago, Cmansfield67 said:

Hmmm I would think a Penn Fierce 2 or a Battle 1 with an ugly stik would be an easy rig to take abuse and won't break the bank. Look used for sure. 

I'd say an ugly stick is a pretty heavy rod for casting longterm. Both Star and Tsunami offer some very nice budget friendly rods that are both strong and light.

1 min ago, Sandbar1 said:

I'd say an ugly stick is a pretty heavy rod for casting longterm. Both Star and Tsunami offer some very nice budget friendly rods that are both strong and light.

Yes.  

So, for now, I've gotten a 710z from ebay for $40+shipping. It appeared blemish-free compared to lots of others.

Thank you for input on others for the future.

Now to research rods....I'd like to cast an SP Minnow more than 50 feet. :)

Thank you all for the advice.

Just got my fishing licence for the year, and decided to have my boy (whom is the one that's rough on gear) use the 710z i recently bought.

And now I'm about to make a purchase for myself...and I assume the following combo is good for tossing bucktails and SP Minnows, etc?

Direct from Penn, a Spinfisher V for $70 and a 9' Prevail 3/4oz-3oz lure size for $80 and free shipping, totalling $150 to my doorstep (I can live with that price.)