cityevader

Surf reel for "abusive relationship"

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

After a brief, unsuccessful try at surf fishing, then giving up for two years, I've decided to give it another try.

So I need a rod/reel setup, and looking through the "Newbies Look Here" thread, I randomly selected a budget setup of a Penn Prevail 9' medium and Penn Battle II 2000.

But I got to thinking...I'm hard on gear, as I go to the beach with my small child and things get pushed around. Reels end up in the sand. Gear often gets left in the van for days afterwards without a proper cleaning...so now I'm wondering if there is a budget-minded reel just for goofs like me whom can't seem to take proper care of their stuff?

2nd on the greenies or it's.  3 or so moving parts, dirt cheap and bombproof.

Heavy, line lay isn't great and they are slow, but life is about tradeoffs.

If you're not terribly committed to fishing get into it for as little as possible and pick up a 704 or 710 or both for less than a hundred bucks.

Then, let's assume that i will strive to take halfway decent care of my new reel (my old one was a hand-me-down freebie) and it won't be thrown into the surf, and have a dedicated towel to be wrapped in to prevent sand entry whilst playing frisbee, and would not be fishing all day anyway, or even half a day...would the Battle II take the occasional abuse or die at the first hit... or just go for the 710?

The 2000 is a wayyy too small for that rod anyways so I’d look into another reel regardless. 

Now that the penn spingisher VI is out you can probably find a spinfisher v 4500 for short money. It’s largely sealed although some people (myself included) have experienced some water intrusion through the pinion. 

37 mins ago, youngsalt said:

The 2000 is a wayyy too small for that rod anyways so I’d look into another reel regardless. 

Now that the penn spingisher VI is out you can probably find a spinfisher v 4500 for short money. It’s largely sealed although some people (myself included) have experienced some water intrusion through the pinion. 

Yep, 2000 isn't the right reel for that rod

You'll probably want the 5k size.

59 mins ago, cityevader said:

Then, let's assume that i will strive to take halfway decent care of my new reel (my old one was a hand-me-down freebie) and it won't be thrown into the surf, and have a dedicated towel to be wrapped in to prevent sand entry whilst playing frisbee, and would not be fishing all day anyway, or even half a day...would the Battle II take the occasional abuse or die at the first hit... or just go for the 710?

Depends on the abuse. The battle isn't a terrible reel and it should serve you well under normal fishing conditions. It won't hold up to longterm spray or sand exposure and definitly should not be dunked though the same holds true for most reels in that price range.

If you want some sealing against  water and sand I'd look into the tsunami shield or the spinfisher v. The shield is similarly priced to the battle while the spinfisher v is slightly more. The guys that complain about these "sealed" reels generally don't understand their abilities. Neither is build to withstand prolonged dunkings or water exposure  but both will stand up to some spray, sand and abuse better than the battle II.

Spinfisher VI 4500. I just picked one up and it looks promising. Up until this point, my main reel was a newly manufactured Penn 704z that I put a bailess kit on after the bail arm screw fell out in the surf at midnight in 3' of water. I pack it with grease and haven't had any issues since. It's a tank.

30 mins ago, Big Will said:

I agree with the z series or even one of the green ones. Find the 710 and put some 20lb fireline on it. It will last forever. 

I don't fish mine as much as I could but its a fun blast from the past to fish.

20181113_000115.jpg.bb503fb12a6648202b17490f3dc8683d.jpg

Edited by Sandbar1

3 hours ago, cityevader said:

I'm curious what the "slow" part means.

Slow means that they retrieve less line per crank of the handle than more modern reels.  This is most noticeable when you're fishing in a cross wind and are getting a long belly in the line when you cast.

I have a handful of 704s and agree they will take an absolute beating and are very easy to maintain.