Waders and boots brand preference

Rate this topic

paddie

Finally decided on getting a set of waders and boots for cooler days on the river. I'm willing to spend the money if they are worth it. I like Patagonia Gallegos, plus I like Patagonia as a company. The other is the Sims G4 I think. Anyway they run close to $500, which is way more than I want to spend, but I don't want to dick around either. Also looking for a good set of boots to go with it. Any insight to what you guys prefer? I will be fishing Farmington river primarily with sporadic trips to Colorado when visiting in laws, so packing weight could be a factor. Thanks, Jeff

I’d wait a little while and then start watching EBay and Sierra Trading Post etc, for closeouts.

JC

Just went through this myself. Was having a hard time finding something that fit my rather large feet (size 13) and not looking like I was wearing a trash bag that I found fit 2 of me in. Ended up getting Orvis waders, so far I absolutely love them. I was out the door for $300 for waders and boots.

Picked up Zip front Redingtons from amazon's open box warehouse deal.

For around 200$

https://amzn.to/2QuqyvI

Pefect fit.  Room up top for layering.  With trim legs which is a huge plus.  LL beans legs in comparison are wayyyy too bulky to comfortably fish heavy current safely.

Seem to be made from a much tougher material than the Kennebecs from ll bean that I couldn't get the booties or zipper pull to last for more than 2 years.

Definitely not a warm weather water like the kennebecs do well at.   As I wore the Red Hdz's all summer due to the insane mosquitos.

For a 500$ wader though I wish they did something better for the shoulder suspension or belt.  As they use standard elastic webbing.

Once you go zip you never want to go back....So much easier and faster to get on.

I remember fishing a beat where me and Jay Blair were the 2nd and 3rd car at the spot.

The guy was already gearing up.

Between the zip waders and boa boots....between parking and walking to the water.......2 mins flat.

The first dude bailed which was pretty funny.  Didn't realize till later how pissed he was.  :) 

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

2 hours ago, DrBob said:

I've been pleased with Hodgmans.  They have one that is ~$89.  I get a new pair every year.  I never found the more expensive brands to last longer.  As far as boots, I've had good luck with both Hodgmans and Korkers.

I've tried them all, including the Boa laced versions. I could never find the proper fit, the uppers broke down quickly losing critical support for an old broken ankle injury.  I've lost Korker soles to muck and mire.  Then I found the Hodgman Vions with the H-lock soles.  Great bang for the buck.  Very solidly made, stout uppers, ergonomic fit, neoprene lined and bottom draining, warm and don't trap excess water.  The interchangeable soles lock in place.  The best part is they are very reasonably priced for all that quality.

I wore Simms for years, but switched to Beans a couple years ago. They zip from the crotch up, which is nice when you have to pee. I’ve had them for about 5 years now, and no trouble so far! 

I also have a pair of Corkers with interchangeable soles, which I love. Those two are 5 years old, and no trouble with them either. 

Wader  reviews are in my opinion the most treacherous.

Many Guys will lax lyrical but never ever wade above their knees or walk further than they would consider reasonable to get to their local convenience store.

Without doubt the most troublesome purchase we make in gear terms and the most expensive in terms of their life span. Reliability let’s not even go there.

mikey

Used to be a Simms guy. Either they've made the cut of their waders smaller / thinner or I've gotten fatter, they just don't fit well any longer.

Probably a combo of both, but too snug for my liking.

I fish year round and like to layer up and end up feeling like the Michelin Man in the newer Simms.

They also seem to not like guys with big feet. I had to pay $75.00 extra to get bigger custom booties on my last pair.

I've been using Redington Sonic Pros recently. I like the more relaxed fit they offer and the feet fit.

About 300 days on the current pair, with 99% of that being saltwater.

The zipper feature is looking more appealing the older I get.....

Boots have always been Simms. Bad experience with Korkers when they were relatively new to the market.
Never went back.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

I have been an Orvis and Patagonia guy since I started buying waders- in 1984.  I went to Simms this year and will never go back.  I have G3 guides and G3 guide pants and just ordered the G3 Guide boot foots for cold weather/duck hunting.  I also get them on pro form through a family member, so that helps a bit.

I would ******* LOVE a grave blanket. icon14.gif