Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeyZac

Can You Identify This Pump? Or A Newer Model With The Same Footprint?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

It's a Johnson SPX submersible from a 2000 Aquasport Explorer 225.  Probably the original, factory installed pump.

Went bad, need to replace it.  The 1600 and 2200 models look similar, but there's no sticker left on it, so I can't tell.

The original mounting plate is still in place, but it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there in the bilge, so I want to reuse it.

If I can get a pump with the same footprint that will snap in, it's an easy fix.  If I have to install a new mounting bracket, it'll be really hard.  I could only just barely reach the top of the pump.  Reaching the base with a screwdriver will be a nightmare.

20181129_135127.jpg.0b64838bedc8e2196dba2002d5a964ae.jpg20181129_135152.jpg.17b75a4e2bc9cdf93779481903913e96.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

That’s a Johnson pump. If the pump doesn’t show gpm’s measure the discharge. It’ll be either 3/4” or 1 1/8”. Usually anything 1000gpm or above uses 1 1/8”. 

Didn’t read your entire post, so I didn’t notice you had identified the brand. Just did some research. Looks a lot like the 1600, which has a 1 1/8” discharge. The 2200 appears to have a threaded discharge that accepts a

1 1/8” or 1 1/4”barb. The 2200 has a slightly different body, but I’d be willing to bet both pumps use the same base strainer, which means you may be able to upgrade if you want. I use Rule pumps, and I know they often use the same base strainer for many models. Best bet might be to call Johnson to confirm this. Good luck. 

Edited by Seadogg

Too busy the next few days to find time to run around looking for one to compare, so I just grabbed the one online that looks the closest, which was the 2200.

If it works, great.  If not, then I'll wire it up as a hot spare that can used manually if need be.

Thanks for looking.

I dont know nothing about Aquasport, but sailfish customer service is extremely helpful in identifying parts, they have even sent me a few really hard to find parts for the cost of shipping, did you try calling aquasports?

The 2200 came today.  It's taller and much heaver than the one I had, but holding the two bases together and comparing the slots, I think it'll fit.

Don't have a chance to put it in till Monday, but I think this is going to wind up being a nice little upgrade.  Hopefully one that I'll never need to use.

Well, the 2200 uses the same base as the one before, at least with regard to size, but there were a few differences.

- The clips on the old base (probably a 1600) were either smaller by the tiniest margin (like 1/16") or perhaps they were warped over time, as the 2200 would slip over them, and seemed to fit just fine, but it would not snap in.  To the naked eye, the prongs on both bases appeared to be the same, but it wouldn't snap, so I had to use the new base.  Was able to use the same screw holes, so that was nice.

- The base has a little prong on it that helps secure the base for the float.  On the old base, that prong was tight to the base, maybe only 1/8" out.  On the new base, it was a good 1/4" away, and because of that, I had to drill new holes for the float base.  Not a nightmare, but the bottom of the bilge is waaaaaaaaaaay down there, and I had to get my head, shoulders and both arms in a small hatch to reach, and that was using a drill with a long bit.  Stainless screws meant no magnetic tips, so it was pretty tricky.

- The biggest issue is that the way the slots on the housing are oriented are different on the 2200, such that the spout was now aimed forward instead of starboard.  This meant that I needed to jury rig some kind of 90 degree fitting, and then the hose that connected to the pump now was off by a few inches, both in length and in angle.  Rigging the 90 was easy enough, but it took quite a bit of "messing with it" to get the hose to connect at an angle that didn't keep twisting the pump off it's base.

Time, patience, a lot of twisting, who knows how many dropped screws, and a lot of "frustration control" got it done. and while it might not be the prettiest job, it's a nice upgrade that I hope to never use.

For those that looked, thanks for the suggestions.

20181203_181448.jpg.cba4091005c1a6c1eecb05f091a09831.jpg

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

Well, the 2200 uses the same base as the one before, at least with regard to size, but there were a few differences.

- The clips on the old base (probably a 1600) were either smaller by the tiniest margin (like 1/16") or perhaps they were warped over time, as the 2200 would slip over them, and seemed to fit just fine, but it would not snap in.  To the naked eye, the prongs on both bases appeared to be the same, but it wouldn't snap, so I had to use the new base.  Was able to use the same screw holes, so that was nice.

- The base has a little prong on it that helps secure the base for the float.  On the old base, that prong was tight to the base, maybe only 1/8" out.  On the new base, it was a good 1/4" away, and because of that, I had to drill new holes for the float base.  Not a nightmare, but the bottom of the bilge is waaaaaaaaaaay down there, and I had to get my head, shoulders and both arms in a small hatch to reach, and that was using a drill with a long bit.  Stainless screws meant no magnetic tips, so it was pretty tricky.

- The biggest issue is that the way the slots on the housing are oriented are different on the 2200, such that the spout was now aimed forward instead of starboard.  This meant that I needed to jury rig some kind of 90 degree fitting, and then the hose that connected to the pump now was off by a few inches, both in length and in angle.  Rigging the 90 was easy enough, but it took quite a bit of "messing with it" to get the hose to connect at an angle that didn't keep twisting the pump off it's base.

Time, patience, a lot of twisting, who knows how many dropped screws, and a lot of "frustration control" got it done. and while it might not be the prettiest job, it's a nice upgrade that I hope to never use.

For those that looked, thanks for the suggestions.

20181203_181448.jpg.cba4091005c1a6c1eecb05f091a09831.jpg

These types of operations are always governed by Murphy’s law. 

On 12/4/2018 at 5:32 AM, Joe said:

I've got a 2 foot long "nose picker" for retrieving bolts,  tools etc... from the bilge

That's what I was using to place the screws in the holes before going back in with the drill with the long bit.  The picker wouldn't hold the screw straight, so I couldn't get them started, so it had to be a very delicate place, release, and then get the drill on it perfect, on the first shot, or the screw would fall over, out of the hole.

Image result for screw starter

Joey all you needed was a screw starter. You can usually find them at Auto Parts stores.  Tape it to a wooden dowl you would have been all set.

On 12/4/2018 at 5:32 AM, Joe said:

I've got a 2 foot long "nose picker" for retrieving bolts,  tools etc... from the bilge

& an 18" telescopic magnet too