Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icarussound

Bucktails for trout etc in the Indian river lagoon...?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi. I’ve been having success in my kayak on the lagoon near SI using soft plastics, mirrolures, and DOA shrimp catching mostly trout. I’d much rather use my own bucktails but only have one mold that has small enough weight - 1/4 oz popeye jig. I wonder if anyone uses small bucktails for this type of fishing here, and if so what type of jig head? I’m considering buying a mold for smaller bucktails, 1/8-3/8 oz,, but am unsure which one.

just made 10 1/4 oz popeye bucktails to try this out...

Icar, I use 1/8 oz jig heads and reins fat rockvibe Swimbait in silver/white, shorter ones.  With or without specks. Tackle warehouse sells them. 

The trout on west coast like white/silver plastics. Cast, let it sink, retrieve it a bit, stop, let it drop, repeat. The trout will hit on the drop. 

For plugs west coast, gold is the color that’s eaten more. Estero Bay Area thats our go to color. 

Bucktails work everywhere... heck i have even try them for LMB .... our sport is a game of trying anything and everything... oh i like to tip mine with whatever fresh bait i have on hand at times... that seems to turn the bite even hotter for me and since you are making your own, don't be afraid to go against the grain of thinking.. mix and match different colors and see what happens... i have so many different colors that i times i wonder if i'm drinking way too much while i messing with my lures LOL....and as far as weight that all depends on where you are fishing and conditions you will run into...yes i know the lagoon is shallow, but the channels arent .....here a tip... try fishing the bridges with your yak... you might get a pretty good surprise.... good luck and like i said don't be afraid to try different things and also don't get hung up on one type of color or style, because what they hit today doesnt mean they will hit tomorrow...the little ones will always hit the same crap... its the Monster we want and they didnt become Monster by being stupid... 

Well the 1/4 oz bucktails work ok, I have better success with DOA shrimp and mirrolure plugs. Got to tip them with gulp to work, which are in my world too expensive. Still experimenting though! 

FWIW my bucktails kill in big surf like this morning. Nothing else works when it’s all white water. 

I don't use BT jigs for Trout on the flats looking for potholes ( winter tactics )  more of a Ned Rig ( weed less ) 1/8 oz very slow  . When going thru grass its 1/8 oz bullet head w/ soft plastic paddle tail & Mirrolure , Cal ,DOA  

Using BT w/ 1/4 oz on beaches  YES !  w/ a wobble jig & can always add Rabbit Zonker w/ some flash are my go to . 

I'm a MirrOlure big time fan & DOA 

google :  flats class , wink ,wink  

I don't tip with gulp... i save that for other stuff... i just grab a couple dozen live shrimp put them in one of those small cold bags, wrap them in paper and they stay nice and cool

most of the day and easy to carry...yes they die, that's how i want them, but they stay fresh....don't use the frozen dead shrimp..thats crap....easy to use and IMO seems to work alot better then Gulp...