Joe.Fish

Potential of my V-Hull

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I have a 17' Tracker Aluminum Deep V-Hull. I am curious as to what it's potential is in saltwater. It is primarily a lake, river and reservoir boat; and I know it is saltwater capable as well, but not sure what kind of distance I can safely think to take it off the shore. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Shore isn't the issue, getting through the inlet is the real test.

Enjoy the bays.   I'd get close to the inlet on inncoming, then leave when slack starts moving out.

Inlets have and do take open bows.

A light boat with shallow draft will have much more fun than big boats in the bays.  Small marsh mouths.

Had a big boat, but spent alot of time on the small inflatable in the south Bay when I lived down there.

Get a duck boat push pole and a another anchor and line.   

Most weekends log island sound is doable there.  Maybe some nj spots by sandy hook. Maybe.

I had my 16' flat bottom skiff out front of sandy hook. Would never take it through an inlet. Not that it had the power to make it through one anyway. Its not the distance its the weather as previously mentionedabove. Any wind over 10mph or north/east I wouldnt even think about it

I have a 16 foot Voyager tiller steering with a 25 Merc. I've had it out out to site reef site 11 witch is 16.5 out of Indian River inlet Delaware on a nice day . When the motor was new .me and a friend use to take it then miles out to the old grounds out of the same inlet . We would leave early in the morning to beat the wind then we would have 10 to 15 Southwest winds on our quarter so the way back in so it wasn't that bad .we've been in some perty rough stuff in it a thunder storm or two with 40 plus winds .we've been out when bigger boats were going back in .I was younger then my point is that you'd be surprised what a little boat will do ,I have a 21 foot walk-around with a io in it and sometimes I felt safer in the 16 footer because has floatation in it . I wanted a Lund like you have but could only afford the Voyager the Lund's are built stronger .I would have no problem taking a 16 foot to 18 Lund out 10 miles ,the inlets can get Dixie but you have to play your tides right ,a good running motor helps two 6 gallon tanks would get out 16 miles out and back with a one third safety margin.but if your not comfortable with it don't do it safety equipment is mandatory I keep 2 gps one icon 25 what radio and a waterproof floating handheld , you can't count on a cellphone ten miles out  good luck and be safe .

Stuff like this confuses me. I really was hoping to take a 20' CC out front within 5 miles or so. I feel like I see small boats out there but I've never done it myself (I've only driven 50hp carolina skiffs around the bay/inlet). So, I really can't speak about anything in particular, 

Is something like this really not ocean worthy?

Edited by hurricane1091

On 11/28/2018 at 9:07 PM, Joe.Fish said:

I have a 17' Tracker Aluminum Deep V-Hull. I am curious as to what it's potential is in saltwater. It is primarily a lake, river and reservoir boat; and I know it is saltwater capable as well, but not sure what kind of distance I can safely think to take it off the shore. Any ideas?

Thanks.

to what extent is it self bailing?

It all comes down to common sense and boating skills.  In younger days we all took chances of what our boat could do.

It's a scary thing when your motor, battery or anything else fails and you are too far out from shore.......

FT

6 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Is something like this 21' CC ocean worthy?

boat.jpg

I mean, it could be. But it comes down local sea conditions and experience more than anything, and not every X' CC is equal. Based on the picture alone, I'd take that thing several miles out on a calm day, but I would still avoid my local inlet at low outgoing.

Single screw motors far from shore...………..

Not my cup of tea.  Even in big lakes, a spare kicker outboard that can be started with a pull cord.

I have personally witnessed two open bowrider being sunk by jones beach inlet.  Amazing what a small difference in elevation can do in a short period; the tide.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:32 PM, C.Robin said:

I mean, it could be. But it comes down local sea conditions and experience more than anything, and not every X' CC is equal. Based on the picture alone, I'd take that thing several miles out on a calm day, but I would still avoid my local inlet at low outgoing.

As someone inexperienced, can you explain what happens at that specific condition?