Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shag

Advice for surf fishing San Diego area?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

My son recently moved to San Diego from NYC. He was brought up surfing and surf fishing here on Long Island, NY. 

Looking for advice on tackle, species, seasons, helpful tackle shops in the area. Heading back to PB the end of the week. Any info appreciated.

Shag,

I fish a bit down there when in the area for work, a good 7'6 to 9'6" medium action steelhead rod is a good all around stick. A 2500 reel should be fine, with 15 or 20 lb braid.  They can throw small baits to corbina or toss Lucky Crafts or Krocodiles for stuff like Halibut or WSB or even stripers. There's a lot more stripers down there than people think. 

Like FG said above ^... I use a 9'6"  light action rod, 3000 Stradic ci4 reel, and 6# mono most of the time... C-rig with 20-24" -4# Fluoro leader... # 6-8 Owner Mosquito hook... You should go heavier on the line  (And maybe rod) if you plan on tossing a lucky Craft (Too expensive to breakoff and lose) a lot... I fish a little north of San Diego (North Orange County) but we have the same fish and conditions.... And I do, occasionally, wander south  and poach their very nice beaches... Enjoy your time here...

Butch