Tailslap

Stella SW 2019

Rate this topic

128 posts in this topic

The new spec is about the same as the 2013 model which to me is a little disappointing. The only significant improvement seems to be on the drag knob to help dissipate heat from the spool, but that seems as just to catch up to the Daiwa expedition technology. 

Sounds like the 8000 is an odd model with a slimmed down rotor, more compact rotor. May mean the 8000 won't take a 10000 or 14000 spool.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:10 PM, Steg said:

Sounds like the 8000 is an odd model with a slimmed down rotor, more compact rotor. May mean the 8000 won't take a 10000 or 14000 spool.

Checked it out at a local shop today, and switched spool of the 10k to the 8k and it seemed to fit just fine. 8k is only one with the metal knob so wanted to see if bigger spool fit. Was in a hurry so didn't investigate too much, but seem interchangeable. Felt lighter in hand and very solid. Had to leave before I bought one lol

^^That's good news, Denny. 
It was a guess that the 10000 spool wouldn't fit the 8000 reel, but I was pretty sure it would be true. I was even wondering whether Shimano had done it on purpose so that the spools could not be swapped - instead you'd have to buy another Stella.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an 8000 SWB, because I wanted to be sure it would take a 10000 spool. Maybe I should have waited to find out more about the SWC.

19 hours ago, Steg said:

^^That's good news, Denny. 
It was a guess that the 10000 spool wouldn't fit the 8000 reel, but I was pretty sure it would be true. I was even wondering whether Shimano had done it on purpose so that the spools could not be swapped - instead you'd have to buy another Stella.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an 8000 SWB, because I wanted to be sure it would take a 10000 spool. Maybe I should have waited to find out more about the SWC.

Yeah, I need to do some investigation myself because I just quickly swapped spools and think I turned handle and it seemed to fit fine with a few turns. 8000 spool looked much smaller and capacity isn't great for some things I might want to do, just not sure about the egg knob on the 10k yet since I have gotten used to the round metal in recent years. Being that the 10k pg is 40in per turn and the 8k is 37" the rotor has to be different unless I am completely retarded. Assuming spools are interchangeable, just don't quote me on that yet because I didn't play with bail clearances or pay attention closely, it just fit shaft and rotor. Can't even remember if I turned both handles with different spools, just went to look at what I don't need to buy but probably will soon now. Alan Hawk has a pending issue notice on his site btw

25 mins ago, dennysnook said:

Yeah, I need to do some investigation myself because I just quickly swapped spools and think I turned handle and it seemed to fit fine with a few turns. 8000 spool looked much smaller and capacity isn't great for some things I might want to do, just not sure about the egg knob on the 10k yet since I have gotten used to the round metal in recent years. Being that the 10k pg is 40in per turn and the 8k is 37" the rotor has to be different unless I am completely retarded. Assuming spools are interchangeable, just don't quote me on that yet because I didn't play with bail clearances or pay attention closely, it just fit shaft and rotor. Can't even remember if I turned both handles with different spools, just went to look at what I don't need to buy but probably will soon now. Alan Hawk has a pending issue notice on his site btw

just the highlighted part, ipt is strictly based on gear ratio and spool diameter, the rotor no matter how big will spin the amount of times per the gear ratio and both pg's have the same gear ratios so if both spools have the same outside diameter and just the arbor sizes differs then they will retrieve the same amount of line until you're very deep into the spool on the larger capacity spool, if shimano specs are accurate which their ipt is often misrepresented. if the specs are right, the 10k spool has to be slightly bigger and not just a deeper cut out in order to retrieve more line. 

24 mins ago, Jetex2801 said:

just the highlighted part, ipt is strictly based on gear ratio and spool diameter, the rotor no matter how big will spin the amount of times per the gear ratio and both pg's have the same gear ratios so if both spools have the same outside diameter and just the arbor sizes differs then they will retrieve the same amount of line until you're very deep into the spool on the larger capacity spool, if shimano specs are accurate which their ipt is often misrepresented. if the specs are right, the 10k spool has to be slightly bigger and not just a deeper cut out in order to retrieve more line. 

I'm just completely retarded then lmao. Honestly never thought about it and can't figure it out now after our full day, just only made sense it my mind that the line is directed onto the spool via the rotor, so a wider rotor picks up more line otherwise your line pickup should increase as you reel on more line to the reel increasing spool diameter way I interpret it now reading your comment. Too much thinking at 1am when I gotta get up at 6 for them blues again, will have to figure it out tomorrow. 

5 mins ago, dennysnook said:

I'm just completely retarded then lmao. Honestly never thought about it and can't figure it out now after our full day, just only made sense it my mind that the line is directed onto the spool via the rotor, so a wider rotor picks up more line otherwise your line pickup should increase as you reel on more line to the reel increasing spool diameter way I interpret it now reading your comment. Too much thinking at 1am when I gotta get up at 6 for them blues again, will have to figure it out tomorrow. 

Lol my brain isn't exactly working right, rightnow either, good luck dealing with the zoo tomorrow 

easiest way to explain it 

example, let's say you were to wrap some line onto a empty spool of leader, your first wrap is with your hand holding the line close to the spool, then you make another wrap while holding the line 1ft out, both wraps put the same amount of line onto the spool, your hand aka the rotor travels 360 degrees doesn't matter how far away you hold the line away from the spool you still only went around it once

9 mins ago, Jetex2801 said:

Lol my brain isn't exactly working right, rightnow either, good luck dealing with the zoo tomorrow 

easiest way to explain it 

example, let's say you were to wrap some line onto a empty spool of leader, your first wrap is with your hand holding the line close to the spool, then you make another wrap while holding the line 1ft out, both wraps put the same amount of line onto the spool, your hand aka the rotor travels 360 degrees doesn't matter how far away you hold the line away from the spool you still only went around it once

Yep, my brain is broke right now lol. Even though you rotate 360 as you keep going around and around you are putting more line on the spool as diameter increases. I'm just invisioning a long cast and I start reeling and my lure is barely moving at the start but as it gets closer and closer it starts flying across the top of the water because each time I turn the handle it picks up more and more line. Time for bed