Stella SW 2019

Rate this topic

Tailslap

9 mins ago, Tailslap said:

If you use the 5000 Saltiga their is no comparable size in the Stella SW. I used the Saltiga 5000 also. It is a unique size that just Daiwa has. I,m not sure your main gear was shot. Every time I sent a Saltiga back they said I needed to change the main gear and pinion. That is a money maker for them. I always sent a note with my reels to call me with price BEFORE they do any work. I never paid more than $100. If they wanted more I would argue my bill down. This got harder to do over time as I think Daiwa had a real plan to make more money off service. 

The reel was rough, that’s was it. The other one that I have seems fine to me. 

I will say, that without a screwed up gear I’m thinking the same. Kind of like the line roller for a vs. they always replace those....

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

The reel has performed perfectly for me. No wind knots, etc. The rough feel I had felt like a bad bearing. I caught more a few fish while it was acting up. There weren’t any performance issues with it. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

7 hours ago, Steg said:

More wind knots with the Saltiga than the Stella, do you think?

Or have you noticed no difference of that kind between the reels?

The only flaw with the saltiga is the drag knob....the notch in the top can catch line if you aren't careful....which would creat a loop over the spool.  Other than that...there are no wind knot issues to worry about and imho daiwa and shimano are equal in that category.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

• 2 weeks later...

I can add to this from my own experience. Sent a daiwa saltiga surf in for service, haven’t been fished too hard, just like my gear in top shape. Get a call from Daiwa and bill was $215 for main gear and pinion. I was told I had 2 days to make a decision or they would put it in the trash, because they had more reels to work on.... paid the $215 and now the reel sits on the shelf. Not even worth it to fish any more.

As for shimano, LOVE their service although I’m a little disappointed with their service this last go around. Sent in 5 Stella’s including FI’s, FE’s, SWB which shimano received Nov3, long story short, Jan 2 I’ll just be getting the reels back but that was only because I called them to ask where my $h!ts been.

Salta is a great product but it’s just not as smooth and requires more effort to turn the handles 

Also seems daiwas mid/lower end gears use really cheap components. As to shimano, some of their higher end components get flowed down.

11 mins ago, david lam said:

I can add to this from my own experience. Sent a daiwa saltiga surf in for service, haven’t been fished too hard, just like my gear in top shape. Get a call from Daiwa and bill was $215 for main gear and pinion. I was told I had 2 days to make a decision or they would put it in the trash, because they had more reels to work on.... paid the $215 and now the reel sits on the shelf. Not even worth it to fish any more.

As for shimano, LOVE their service although I’m a little disappointed with their service this last go around. Sent in 5 Stella’s including FI’s, FE’s, SWB which shimano received Nov3, long story short, Jan 2 I’ll just be getting the reels back but that was only because I called them to ask where my $h!ts been.

Salta is a great product but it’s just not as smooth and requires more effort to turn the handles 

Also seems daiwas mid/lower end gears use really cheap components. As to shimano, some of their higher end components get flowed down.

I gotta call bs on this.......

Daiwa called you essentially ransoming your reel......Pay the 215 or we toss your reel in the trash.......

C'mon man....Thats just absurd.

If that was the way they did things.......do you honestly think they'd be a company?

Tims

I own and fish a diawa 5500H. I bought it from Tomo as he was willing to help get it serviced. I sent it back last year was serviced in the good ole USA and was $68 total. That Included shipping both ways , new mag seal and a full service. Seems to me you all should be asking him For help. I dont not dunk my real as it's used for canal jigging and lighter tuna duty.

Ctown

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I gotta call bs on this.......

Daiwa called you essentially ransoming your reel......Pay the 215 or we toss your reel in the trash.......

C'mon man....Thats just absurd.

If that was the way they did things.......do you honestly think they'd be a company?

Not asking you or anyone to judge. It’s just what happened and sharing my experiences. And for that is the main reason I fish mainly shimano. 

7 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Got email from Plat tackle.

6133D0C9-9744-4C9F-81DD-AA50B7718D5A.jpeg

Looks like a twin power with a butt lift and knob downgrade 

That jiggingmaster reel.. Now that's a good lookin spinner 

Edited by scoobydoo

Tims