Tailslap

Stella SW 2019

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, Drew C. said:

An update - I got the reel back. $216 for the repairs, 'damaged pinion gear' and 'damaged drive gear'. Daiwa did not return the old parts. I'm getting on the phone with them to find out why that didn't happen. 

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the issues with the reel. If it involved water intrusion, I would be fine with it.  That would have been my bad. But given the number and the size of the fish caught on this reel - I can't see how the gears were damaged like they supposedly were.

Whew! That’s a hefty sum of money for a repair. They should automatically send you back the parts, even without requesting them. 

I find it hard to believe both pinion and main gear were damaged after your description of how the reel was fished. I know you mentioned it is a the current model. Did they give a breakdown on the parts and labor? I’m wondering if they changed the mag seal in the body

14 mins ago, Drew C. said:

An update - I got the reel back. $216 for the repairs, 'damaged pinion gear' and 'damaged drive gear'. Daiwa did not return the old parts. I'm getting on the phone with them to find out why that didn't happen. 

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the issues with the reel. If it involved water intrusion, I would be fine with it.  That would have been my bad. But given the number and the size of the fish caught on this reel - I can't see how the gears were damaged like they supposedly were.

$200 plus for service bill is BS. And you say this is the current model? Outrageous.  Daiwa charged a friend of mine $200 once and their excuse was it was the older discontinued model Saltiga Z and the parts had to be special ordered. Even the new shiny warranty for the 2018 Daiwa Exist doesn’t cover wear and tear parts? Reel parts are almost all wear and tear. Come on Daiwa! 

Well, there you go, one of the main reasons everyone squawks about the great Stella service. I know a guy who sent out his Stella and he swears it came back brand spanking new. Probably easier for them to just replace the reel instead of replacing a ton of parts. Unreal for $35.

Regardless of service plans, both reels exhibit excellent qualities. Up to the buyer to decide. I knew when buying my Expedition that any future service was going to be a major headache, let alone a major expense. Still took the plunge and just living with it. Fantastic reel for many applications.

31 mins ago, Drew C. said:

You should send them a bill for YOUR parts to be replaced.

The pair run about 190$  Main gear and pinion.

Z02-0216 GEAR UNIT  189$ 

25 mins ago, Tagman said:

Whew! That’s a hefty sum of money for a repair. They should automatically send you back the parts, even without requesting them. 

I find it hard to believe both pinion and main gear were damaged after your description of how the reel was fished. I know you mentioned it is a the current model. Did they give a breakdown on the parts and labor? I’m wondering if they changed the mag seal in the body

They did replace the mag oil.

$30 for labor, $9 for shipping, $216 for the 'pinion+drive gear unit'. 

I called them, they're supposed to call me back. 

On the plus side - the reel was fished like a vs/zb for the fall, no water intrusion. Now only if a handle of 40"+ bass didn't destroy the gears on what is supposed to be an offshore capable reel....

5 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

You should send them a bill for YOUR parts to be replaced.

The pair run about 190$  Main gear and pinion.

Z02-0216 GEAR UNIT  189$ 

the part number for mine isn't the same as the one above. fwiw - it was $216, 'Z02-2144'

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, Drew C. said:

On the plus side - the reel was fished like a vs/zb for the fall, no water intrusion. Now only if a handle of 40"+ bass didn't destroy the gears on what is supposed to be an offshore capable reel..

Your right. The Saltiga were designed for big offshore fish. Daiwa never intended for this reel to be used for surf. The reel should be able to withstand much bigger fish than striper or blues.

I would keep fishing it, and if ever another problem arises in the future, I would bring it to the closest service center instead of sending it directly to Daiwa.

Edited by Tagman

Just now, Tagman said:

Your right. The Saltiga were designed for big offshore fish. Daiwa never intended for this reel to be used for surf.

I would keep fishing it, and if ever another problem arises in the future, I would bring it to the closest service center instead of sending it directly to Daiwa.

I'm undecided in regard what to do. I have 2 of them, I got them because I had good performance out of the 02 Saltiga that I used for a long time. That reel saw a lot of use and a ton of fish over the years. When I finally sent it back the bill was very reasonable, bearings maybe, nothing major. 

The current models - I got the first one in October of 2017, fished it that fall. I picked up another over the winter. I used the one that went back for a good bit of my fishing this year. I intended to fish them for the season and then send them back to see how they held up to being submerged. As I said, I was expecting there to be some issues but not like this - To trash a reel like that in less than one calendar year and maybe 40 trips... WTF would some tuna have done to the darn thing?

I will give it some thought, maybe the reels will take a visit to BST, don't know yet. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Since the Stella’s and Saltigas came on the scene I have always owned both at the same time. I actually prefer the Saltiga over the Stella SW overall. About 2 years ago the service on the Saltigas became a lot more expensive for me and my friends. For the last year I have only owned the Stella. The difference between $35 and $200 is just too much for me to take. If both service cost was $200 for main gear, pinion, anti verse clutch, drag and clean? I would choose the Saltiga. I hope Daiwa knows how many Saltigas they are not selling in the US. They probably don’t care because they sell so many in Japan. Daiwa is the sexy brand in Japan. Always has been. 

Edited by Tailslap

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

the part number for mine isn't the same as the one above. fwiw - it was $216, 'Z02-2144'

Z02-2144 PINION+DRIVE GEAR UNITUSD $291.60

Holy ****E!

That's insane!

I never realized the cost for the gears were so high....I thought they'd be like 100$ for the set!  That's crazy........

14 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Since the Stella’s and Saltigas came on the scene I have always owned both at the same time. I actually prefer the Saltiga over the Stella SW overall. About 2 years ago the service on the Saltigas became a lot more expensive for me and my friends. For the last year I have only owned the Stella. The difference between $35 and $200 is just too much for me to take. If both service cost was $200 for main gear, pinion, anti verse clutch, drag and clean? I would choose the Saltiga. I hope Daiwa knows how many Saltigas they are not selling in the US. They probably don’t care because they sell so many in Japan. Daiwa is the sexy brand in Japan. Always has been. 

I have the 5000, whats the comparable Stella - the 10000? The Saltiga is $900, Stella $1,160. I'd say it is fair to call them similar, essentially the same even, no? You're probably paying for that $35 service up front on the Stella. My problem really is what broke after the use that the reel received. Bass shouldn't be blowing up the gear sets on these reels.

I never got the return call from Daiwa, not surprised. I had a brief email conversation with them that went no where.

I will send the other one back. The original 'experiment' was to use them as I would use a VS/ZB and see what happened. I wanted to see if the mag seal would hold up to what I do with the reels. That part haas worked out well. The second reel saw lighter use vs the first one, it seems perfectly fine to me at this point. 

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

My problem really is what broke after the use that the reel received. Bass shouldn't be blowing up the gear sets on these reels.

This is hard to imagine on a Saltiga used for bass. Probably why they didn't send your old parts back....because nothing really wrong with them???

Here in S. Florida I use my Stellas and Expedition plugging for blacktip sharks....line ripping, drag smoking monsters that can surpass 150lb and over 7ft and have yet to have a hint of gear issues. I would venture to say that the Saltiga gears are just as strong as the Stellas. I know my Expedition is brutally strong. Should be the same gear-set? Nothing wrong with it that I can tell. Seems as tight and as robust as the first day I fished it.