Tailslap

Stella SW 2019

Rate this topic

124 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, Drew C. said:

It felt rough (slightly) at the end of the year. I figured water intrusion and some bearing issues. 

Curious  to see what you think when the reel comes back.

This is a good argument for Daiwa over Shimano. At least Daiwa still has the parts in stock for a 15 year old reel like the Saltiga Z. Probably couldn’t say the same for Shimano.

5 mins ago, Tagman said:

Curious  to see what you think when the reel comes back.

This is a good argument for Daiwa over Shimano. At least Daiwa still has the parts in stock for a 15 year old reel like the Saltiga Z. Probably couldn’t say the same for Shimano.

This one I mentioned is the current model. I do have an older one, Daiwa told me they should have the parts for it (o doubt it needs anything significant). 

I like fixing my own reels but it doesn't make much sense when you are paying less for sending it in. With some reel companies you end up paying a service charge and getting most of the parts for free. It depends what is wrong with the reel, even bearings which are the first to go most times are very expensive if bought from the company or even from other sources 

Sent my (new to me) Stella that I acquired here in fall into Shimano for service last week. It wasn’t as smooth as it should have been. $29 and 7 new bearings and a new bail assembly. I am impressed. 

I just want to know why it costs more for a Saltiga gearset than it does a BG? I am currently using a 5000 BG just for that reason. It's been wet and I'm getting waves crashed on me everyday, my bigger HG reels are in desperate need of service except for my two pristine 8k SW and SWB that I don't want to destroy like I do everything else I fish with as daily drivers in wet conditions, so it's more cost effective to blow up $100 reels and have a backup handy than to get my 5k Saltiga serviced.

11 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Thats what I was told. Yes, I found it strange too. It sb back next week I think. 

That seems to be there move....Sent back a Z4500 ten years ago, was told I needed a new main gear. Figured sure, reel saw tons of fish and was never serviced in 7 years. Sent it back 2 seasons later with very limited use. Was told they had to replace main gear again, told them basically to screw and I wasn't paying for it. In the end they didn't charge me, but a good reason why I am a Stella user now...cheaper and quicker service

1 hour ago, TonyO said:

That seems to be there move....Sent back a Z4500 ten years ago, was told I needed a new main gear. Figured sure, reel saw tons of fish and was never serviced in 7 years. Sent it back 2 seasons later with very limited use. Was told they had to replace main gear again, told them basically to screw and I wasn't paying for it. In the end they didn't charge me, but a good reason why I am a Stella user now...cheaper and quicker service

That's why I want the damaged parts returned to me. 

6 hours ago, dennysnook said:

I just want to know why it costs more for a Saltiga gearset than it does a BG? I am currently using a 5000 BG just for that reason. It's been wet and I'm getting waves crashed on me everyday, my bigger HG reels are in desperate need of service except for my two pristine 8k SW and SWB that I don't want to destroy like I do everything else I fish with as daily drivers in wet conditions, so it's more cost effective to blow up $100 reels and have a backup handy than to get my 5k Saltiga serviced.

I probably fish 100 mornings before work. (Waders on over office clothes). When I am done in the morning, usually around 6am I put my gear away, lose the wades and head to the office. 

I replace hooks on my plugs a few a few times a season (in the canal bag). I never have a chance to rinse my canal reels, which is why I am so happy with ZB/VS. They can be ignored from the daily maintenance and perform without issue. 

I traded a ZB here for another Stella, which will be my 3rd one I have owned. At some point, probably soon I will want to move on from this one because of the required maintenance to keeping the reel looking normal/nice. 

Weekend trips are longer and I always make time to rinse my reels/rods/plugs. 

If Daiwa ever puts in place a similar warranty program like Shimano than we can truly have a discussion on which is better the Stella SW or Saltiga. As things stand the Stella wins every time due to the fact that even if they do a complete rebuild it still only cost you about $30.  Daiwa will charge up to $200 for the same rebuild.  Wow!  I am a big fan of Daiwa as well as Shimano but can’t bring myself to own a Saltiga these days due to the potential incredible difference in service bills between the two reels.

In the US is a Saltiga less expensive to buy than a Stella about the same size?

In NZ the Saltiga is a bit more expensive than the Stella. Daiwa prices are high here.

For some reason - I'm not sure why, Daiwa is often considered "cooler" than Shimano in this country.

36 mins ago, Steg said:

In NZ the Saltiga is a bit more expensive than the Stella. Daiwa prices are high here

We have the same pricing situation here in South Africa

A Saltiga 4000 will set you back about $1075 vs a Stella 6000SWB at $875

34 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

We have the same pricing situation here in South Africa

A Saltiga 4000 will set you back about $1075 vs a Stella 6000SWB at $875

Do you get the $30 flat rate service program on the Stella SW like here in the US?

49 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Do you get the $30 flat rate service program on the Stella SW like here in the US?

I suspect not - possible reason for $180-200 price difference between here and there.

I actually wanted to check with Shimano yesterday, but I ran out of time.

Edited by ZAFisher

An update - I got the reel back. $216 for the repairs, 'damaged pinion gear' and 'damaged drive gear'. Daiwa did not return the old parts. I'm getting on the phone with them to find out why that didn't happen. 

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the issues with the reel. If it involved water intrusion, I would be fine with it.  That would have been my bad. But given the number and the size of the fish caught on this reel - I can't see how the gears were damaged like they supposedly were.

Ouch, 1/4 the price in one service. I can't see how the gear is damaged in normal use when there is no saltwater intrusion.  The saltiga is touted as a big game hunting reel.