Tailslap

Stella SW 2019

Rate this topic

124 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

In what regard? Many (including Alan hawk) won't touch any mag sealed reel with a 10 foot pole. Mag seal maintenance is exclusive to Daiwa and a service reputation of expensive and slow has been talked about her ad nauseam.

Stella SW service on the other hand features a fast tracked service ticket with a flat rate of $35 no matter what needs replacing. Seems like a Shimano win to me? What Daiwa reel has superior performance for half the price? I personally am a big daiwa fan but not yet seeing the merits of your statement.

When you compare customer service, yes. When you compare function and issues, I'm going daiwa every day. The bay jigger or saltiga is a great example. Effortless under heavy load and can take some serious water. Wade with a stella and you are asking to have it serviced at the end of the year.

Have a friend who loves his sw stellas but has to have a few serviced annually.      Even with lightening fast premium service, a 1000 dollar reel should go a year without an issue.

8 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

In what regard? Many (including Alan hawk) won't touch any mag sealed reel with a 10 foot pole. Mag seal maintenance is exclusive to Daiwa and a service reputation of expensive and slow has been talked about her ad nauseam.

Stella SW service on the other hand features a fast tracked service ticket with a flat rate of $35 no matter what needs replacing. Seems like a Shimano win to me? What Daiwa reel has superior performance for half the price? I personally am a big daiwa fan but not yet seeing the merits of your statement.

Didn't Alan say that the Diawa Expedition one the best reels ever made? 

Expedition is a great reel....I have one, 8000H but I still find myself using my Stellas on the open beach, wet and wild, all conditions, no issues whatsoever with performance or service needs. Both are fantastic reels and have many different features. Service does win with the Stella. Expedition no one works on in the US, kinda stuck with it if it ever malfunctions. I called Daiwa USA and they said if ever a problem, need to send overseas. So it's big money and a lot of time if it ever needs parts or mag seal service. Stella, on the other and, poof, $35 and a week turnaround practically gets you a new reel....in some cases, they even do give out new reels. The service is that good.

2 hours ago, xjclint said:

When you compare customer service, yes. When you compare function and issues, I'm going daiwa every day. The bay jigger or saltiga is a great example. Effortless under heavy load and can take some serious water. Wade with a stella and you are asking to have it serviced at the end of the year.

Have a friend who loves his sw stellas but has to have a few serviced annually.      Even with lightening fast premium service, a 1000 dollar reel should go a year without an issue.

I have a Stella SW10000 and a Daiwa Isla/Catalina 4000H. I use the SW a lot more as its way more powerful and much better for heavy canal jigging, albeit the size has a lot to do with that. They both are flawless functionally, I find the SW is more fluid and free spinning though. 

Even if things were fairly equal in all other ways, the superior service tips the scale in favor of shimmy in my mind. Speedy and low cost maintenance is a slam dunk for me. Being back in business within 2 weeks for $35 is a real/reel bonus if something catastrophic should happen. If my Daiwa breaks, I'm looking at a much bigger bill and likely won't see it until a big chunk or all of the season is lost.

I've never broke either reel but have sent the SW back to Irvine a couple times for them to run through. They replace any parts they deem less than properly working (usually bearings) and I'm thrilled with that. I'm afraid to send the Isla back until it shows true signs of distress, don't wanna pay a big bill for ferro fluid servicing and the like until it really becomes a problem.

More to your point, Daiwa seems like the far better bang for the buck initially, problem is you gotta pay the piper on the back end.

2 hours ago, gray gables said:

Didn't Alan say that the Diawa Expedition one the best reels ever made? 

He took all the mag sealed Daiwas off his best of lists because he was so pissed that Daiwa won't sell the mag seal ferro fluid and thus self service is not possible.

You still have that sweet 5500H you showed me? Have you ever had it serviced, and if so, how much did it cost?

2 hours ago, xjclint said:

I have to disagree with this. Having fished both Saltigas and Stellas extensively, I don't find either one well suited for wet applications. Both have finishes and alot of cosmetic features that trap salt and are not designed to be reeled underwater. The Saltiga coating scratches easiest, and salt is a cancer once it gets under either finish with pitting and bubbles. Have had bail issues with both, gear issues with the Saltigas, broke the oscillation in a Stella 6k, melted a cap on a 4k tiga, need a roller bearing in a SWB, and currently need a magsealed roller bearing in my Exist and broke something gear wise in my Saltiga 4k not long ago. For the amount of usage vs. need of service I would have to give the edge to the current SWB, but both lineups are severely salt damaged and suffer from similar issues. Unless you are a meticulous washer who is going to throughly clean out every crevice and material change after every outing and wipe dry, then neither model with hold up to surf and heavy spray abuse imo. I personally have had good luck with Daiwa bills and received assistance at times, but know other friends that had service expenses in excess of $250. In that aspect, Stella wins every time with platinum service. With the new Exist, Daiwa offers lifetime service that trumps even platinum service. If that gets carried over to the next lineup of Saltigas then they would have an edge, but they are so close in performance that I still feel that Shimano's warranty sets it apart. 

17 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

I have a Stella SW10000 and a Daiwa Isla/Catalina 4000H. I use the SW a lot more as its way more powerful and much better for heavy canal jigging, albeit the size has a lot to do with that. They both are flawless functionally, I find the SW is more fluid and free spinning though. 

Even if things were fairly equal in all other ways, the superior service tips the scale in favor of shimmy in my mind. Speedy and low cost maintenance is a slam dunk for me. Being back in business within 2 weeks for $35 is a real/reel bonus if something catastrophic should happen. If my Daiwa breaks, I'm looking at a much bigger bill and likely won't see it until a big chunk or all of the season is lost.

I've never broke either reel but have sent the SW back to Irvine a couple times for them to run through. They replace any parts they deem less than properly working (usually bearings) and I'm thrilled with that. I'm afraid to send the Isla back until it shows true signs of distress, don't wanna pay a big bill for ferro fluid servicing and the like until it really becomes a problem.

More to your point, Daiwa seems like the far better bang for the buck initially, problem is you gotta pay the piper on the back end.

He took all the mag sealed Daiwas off his best of lists because he was so pissed that Daiwa won't sell the mag seal ferro fluid and thus self service is not possible.

You still have that sweet 5500H you showed me? Have you ever had it serviced, and if so, how much did it cost?

Having just read it.  

Must have missed the part where he was pissed.

It had to do with people buying it in countries that don't have service centers or due to the feedback of people in those countries that had issues.

How many people do you think who own saltigas or stellas service their own reels.

I'd bet globally it's less than 100 people not counting service centers. :)

That said I have to send a saltiga that was serviced back out again for service as it came back with a pair of clunks in the oscillation stroke.

They didn't even replace the rotor retaining nut that had wrench marks on it.  Not a big deal but Shimano would have. 

(but I've also been lied to by shimano when they said they replaced parts but that was total bs)

The 2 other reels i sent out have to be sent out again as well. 

That was my first go with daiwa service in a long time......Not impressed 

They don't even put part numbers on their invoices for replacement.

Edited by scoobydoo

Any other news on the new Stella SW?  I hope they change the looks a bit from the tester reel pics. Lose the gold and replace it with a silver or titanium color would be a big improvement. 

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Having just read it.  

Must have missed the part where he was pissed.

It had to do with people buying it in countries that don't have service centers or due to the feedback of people in those countries that had issues.

How many people do you think who own saltigas or stellas service their own reels.

I'd bet globally it's less than 100 people not counting service centers. :)

That said I have to send a saltiga that was serviced back out again for service as it came back with a pair of clunks in the oscillation stroke.

They didn't even replace the rotor retaining nut that had wrench marks on it.  Not a big deal but Shimano would have. 

(but I've also been lied to by shimano when they said they replaced parts but that was total bs)

The 2 other reels i sent out have to be sent out again as well. 

That was my first go with daiwa service in a long time......Not impressed 

They don't even put part numbers on their invoices for replacement.

I think I mixed that up, it was you that was pissed about no mag fluid for sale wasn't it?

Either way, the Daiwa mag fluid and it's unique servicing has been a sticking point with a lot of us. If there was a better Goldstar type service platform like Denny mentioned for the mag sealed reels it wouldn't be an issue. Ultimately it was mag seal issues that got the Daiwa's kicked off the A Hawk best of lists albeit a global not US problem for him. 

Shimano's Stella SW service has set the bar so far, lets hope Daiwa counters. Admittedly it can come down to who answers the phone or handles the repair tags for both Co's.  

I have two saltigas, 5000. I used one almost exclusively this year. It was submerged,  very wet at times. I even did some  wetsuiting at cutty with it. 

Its getting serviced now and I’m a little disappointed. First, I clearly used it beyond what it was meant for.  I was expecting to have some issues but I didn’t expect to replace the pinion and main gear. That’s a bit pricey.... Bearings, etc, yes - I expected them to be toast but not the gears, especially since it only saw bass, with 20 or so of them greater than 40” to a hi of 49.5”. 

Turn around time was a bit long but it’s December, so no big deal. 

I did ask Daiwa to return the old parts. So, I will see what they look like. 

Ps - I did ask them about water intrusion, they said no. If that’s the case, that aspect was pretty impressive considering what I did to the reel. 

Edited by Drew C.

4 mins ago, Drew C. said:

did ask Daiwa to return the old parts. So, I will see what they looked like. 

Good idea. I would have done the same.

I just picked up a NOS 5500. Did you send in your reel just to have it serviced, or were you having problems with it. The main gear is supposed to be super tough in these reels. Never heard of a stripped gear in the older Z’s. The older Saltigas were popular offshore reels for big game fish.

12 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I have two saltigas, 5500. I used one almost exclusively this year. It was submerged,  very wet at times. I even did some  wetsuiting at cutty with it. 

Its getting serviced now and I’m a little disappointed. First, I clearly used it beyond what it was meant for.  I was expecting to have some issues but I didn’t expect to replace the pinion and main gear. That’s a bit pricey.... Bearings, etc, yes - I expected them to be toast but not the gears, especially since it only saw bass, with 20 or so of them greater than 40” to a hi of 49.5”. 

Ps - I did ask them about water intrusion, they said no. If that’s the case, that aspect was pretty impressive considering what I did to the reel. 

You "NEEDED" new gearing???? For real?? that's very odd.

21 mins ago, Tagman said:

Good idea. I would have done the same.

I just picked up a NOS 5500. Did you send in your reel just to have it serviced, or were you having problems with it. The main gear is supposed to be super tough in these reels. Never heard of a stripped gear in the older Z’s. The older Saltigas were popular offshore reels for big game fish.

It felt rough (slightly) at the end of the year. I figured water intrusion and some bearing issues. 

25 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I have two saltigas, 5500. I used one almost exclusively this year. It was submerged,  very wet at times. I even did some  wetsuiting at cutty with it. 

Ouch. Could you post the itemized bill. I usually get the bills, but the items changed out are zero out besides the normal service fee. Have not sent in a saltiga yet.  I haven't got billed for parts yes for reels that's sent in for service. knocking on wood. Belief me I sent in some toughies that I wouldn't want to touch due to multiple part failures.

16 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

You "NEEDED" new gearing???? For real?? that's very odd.

Thats what I was told. Yes, I found it strange too. It sb back next week I think. 

Just now, hobobob said:

Ouch. Could you post the itemized bill. I usually get the bills, but the items changed out are zero out besides the normal service fee. Have not sent in a saltiga yet.  I haven't got billed for parts yes for reels that's sent in for service. knocking on wood. Belief me I sent in some toughies that I wouldn't want to touch due to multiple part failures.

I can do that. 

Like I said, I used it beyond what was reasonable. I was expecting certain types of problems, they didn’t seem to happen. 

I have an older 4500 that has similar use. That reel has always performed well. That one and the other 5000 will go back as soon as i get the first one back.