BrianBM

Lydia party boats

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Lydia Yachts used to be THE brand name in nice NE partyboats.  A lot of them are still in service, too, at Captree and elsewhere.

The company has been defunct for some years (I just learned this).  Who is building nice partyboats these days?

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Lydia Yachts used to be THE brand name in nice NE partyboats.  A lot of them are still in service, too, at Captree and elsewhere.

The company has been defunct for some years (I just learned this).  Who is building nice partyboats these days?

Gulf craft who made the Voyager still makes them and I think Blount still makes boats. They have a website. They made the Jamaica and the viking starship. I've been out on both those boats in some nasty weather and they handled it no problem. 

5 hours ago, Joe said:

So many party boats have gone out of business that they just get "recycled". I can't remember the last time I saw a new one up here.

Yeah, one of the party boats around here I've been going on since I was kid just went under and got sold.

Fishing-It ain't like it used to be.

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Neither can I.  Some of the boats at Captree look pretty sad.  We had one boat sink at the dock, what, two years ago? 

The Starship is a beast.  

I've been on the starship in 65 knots (or so Capt. Paul said)

2 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

Yeah, one of the party boats around here I've been going on since I was kid just went under and got sold.

Fishing-It ain't like it used to be.

neither are the crowds.

3 mins ago, Joe said:

neither are the crowds.

yeah, down here it's been real tough going lately, however up north still sees a good amount of people. I was up at the Belmar  marina a few weeks on a weekday and almost every party boat was full,including Miss Belmar which carries around 150 people.

53 mins ago, Joe said:

I've been on the starship in 65 knots (or so Capt. Paul said)

neither are the crowds.

The fish are fewer, and the crowd that once populated the open boats largely now owns their own boats. When I started, the open boat crowd was male, older, and drank too much, and they fished very seriously.  Now it's more of a family recreation thing, at least at Captree and Freeport.

65 KT on the Starship? I don't doubt it ... but that's no fun. Even if fishable, I'm sure that was a day that NOAA just got it wrong.  Joe, was that a long-haul cod trip?

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

The fish are fewer, and the crowd that once populated the open boats largely now owns their own boats. When I started, the open boat crowd was male, older, and drank too much, and they fished very seriously.  Now it's more of a family recreation thing, at least at Captree and Freeport.

65 KT on the Starship? I don't doubt it ... but that's no fun. Even if fishable, I'm sure that was a day that NOAA just got it wrong.  Joe, was that a long-haul cod trip?

Yes it was. 

New party boats you would never get your money back today ! However in today's fishery many charter boats run with ten or more passengers , they seem to do well without the cost of owning a 75' boat and trying to fill it during season !

Also  limited load trips where you pay more with less passengers is popular for certain fisheries and generally helps pay the bills . However over all the fisheries regs have taken a toll on PB's for sure !

This wild wind we are expierencing don't help any of the for hire boats , I've had several trips cancelled this past month on charters ! 

limited load is the way or even better private charter. I love the Viking 3-5 day trips on the Starship and lasy year I went on the Fivestar and never want to fish on another boat Lol, 

24 mins ago, Capt. Lou said:

New party boats you would never get your money back today ! However in today's fishery many charter boats run with ten or more passengers , they seem to do well without the cost of owning a 75' boat and trying to fill it during season !

Also  limited load trips where you pay more with less passengers is popular for certain fisheries and generally helps pay the bills . However over all the fisheries regs have taken a toll on PB's for sure !

This wild wind we are expierencing don't help any of the for hire boats , I've had several trips cancelled this past month on charters ! 

I wonder about that.  Most partyboats are owned and / or operated by people who treat them as a second career, retired firemen, cops and so on. They are very, very conservative in what they do, and they don't have a lot of capital to invest.  I don't think they come anywhere near exploiting all the opportunities available.

AFAIK the only Long Island boat that offers comfort at a higher price is the 5star, which limits its' load to the ten bunks available.  Otherwise, the West Coast model has stayed on on the West Coast. Nobody makes bait, like the West Coast boats, or has more then an improvised live bait well. The 5Star has a greenstick and the Star and Super Star will both deploy outriggers, but no one else bothers. No boat, AFAIK, has a Seakeeper or other gyro stabilizer system.  No boat offers the use of an outlet on the rail for the electric reel set (think tilefish, grouper, wreckfish, barrelfish). I know of no boat that has offered trips for sharks, but if you can do it for tuna, why not?  Lack of capital, lack of imagination, and a conservative mindset are limiting what the industry does. 

Have your regulars on an email list. Mackerel go by Long Island within a day or two. Fine, email lets you sell tickets on short notice to the guys who want to load up on bait for their shark trips.

Squid? Squid trips happen in new England, or so I've read. 

I wish I'd caught a ride on the old Hel-Cat, the "Big Red Buoy."  That was the only catamaran partyboat I ever saw. (The current one is a monohull.) No doubt a cat is more expensive to build, but I'd've liked to have assessed how it felt in heavy seas. 

Sharply raked bows look cool and a high-powered PB is fun to ride .. in calm water. Nobody has tried an X-bow design. Is that practical in a hull below a certain limit? I don't know. IF global warming theory is correct (no need to start yelling in this Forum about that, it's not the topic under discussion) then the seas will get rougher with time, and the relative importance of seakeeping in heavier swells will go up. IF the theory is wrong, then a boat adapted to heavier seas would still extend the angler's season. It's apparently possible to find bigeye tuna in January, IF you go out to Hydrographer's Canyon and even further.  (I heard Tred Barta talk about that, many years ago.  Is he still alive?) 

It'd be silly to build a new boat to do two-a-day fluke trips, or jig stripers within sight of land, but not for offshore. 

48 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I wish I'd caught a ride on the old Hel-Cat, the "Big Red Buoy."  That was the only catamaran partyboat I ever saw. (The current one is a monohull.) No doubt a cat is more expensive to build, but I'd've liked to have assessed how it felt in heavy seas. 

The Miss Barnegat Light was another Red Cat. Never sailed on it though. i always went on the Doris Mae (now Voyager) when I went down there. I caught a lot of Tuna on that boat. Are you familiar with http://www.mels-place.com/mmm/ ? LOTS of party boat history there

Brian, the west coast fisheries far exceed anything that we have on this coast. They do that sort of fishing because they can. 

My long term fishing plan is to eventually make multiple west coast trips each year and stop fishing locally. Our  fisheries here on the east coast are in the death spiral. It’s getting time to move onto bigger and better things. 

23 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Brian, the west coast fisheries far exceed anything that we have on this coast. They do that sort of fishing because they can. 

My long term fishing plan is to eventually make multiple west coast trips each year and stop fishing locally. Our  fisheries here on the east coast are in the death spiral. It’s getting time to move onto bigger and better things. 

My plan in 2 years is to go on one of the 17 day trips