Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Pod drives

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Zeus, and similar systems.  For awhile, they were getting a lot of attention.

I grasp the idea that a prop that faces forward on a pod has certain inherent efficiencies.  I assume that they're most common on flybridge sportfishermen, though I guess that some big inboard CCs can have them too.

For those here who are genuinely knowledgeable about larger sportfisherman and cruising yacht hulls, do they live up to the hype? 

As with everything, there are tradeoffs.

They are more efficient due to shaft angle.  And maneuverable.  Also currently limited in HP, last I looked.

Just, for the love of god, don't hit anything.  I'll stay old school for now.  And in full disclosure, that is in my head when I say that.

First the gyro, now this.  You shopping, or just obsessive/compulsive?

Edited by makorider

41 mins ago, Billybob said:

Did Mully hit the Mega Millions or something? 

lol

if your really want to know, you've got to make friends with people using these toys and sea try them

Alas, more curiosity and OCD then anything else .... the world is full of interesting things that I don't have the money or energy to experience. I do know one person who could afford to drop a million or two, or even three, on a luxe fishing platform. He gets seasick if he looks at the water and has zero interest in fishing. 

Yah, I can see why you wouldn't want to polish a pod on a sandbar, much less a rockpile. OTOH I wouldn't want to test the impact resistance of an ordinary propeller, shaft or rudder on a rock either.  It's always bad juju to do that, worse then bananas, a Finn, a preacher and a grey mare on a boat. 

Always interesting to chat with you guys.