archer292

DIY small belt bag

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I got tired of carrying a bag with a strap so decided that a small belt bag would work out better. I used the small 3 tube aquaskinz this year and it worked aout fairly well. A friend mentioned that he was at a show and was talking to a high end surf bag manufacturer who let him in on a little secret on how to turn an eel or bucktail pouch into a small bag by adding some square tube water bottles to it. I didn't have small square tubes but have a bunch of these round ones. They are a little small but you can fit 2 SP minnow 6 inch bullets in one. Cut them to 5 1/2 inches and hot glued three together. They fit perfectly in an aquaskinz bucktail pouch. Instant small belt bag. Nothing extra special but thought it was worth sharing. I'm sure it's been done many times before.

20181127_083535.jpg

20181127_083551.jpg

20181127_083329.jpg

20181127_083358.jpg

20181127_083517.jpg

20181127_083405.jpg

20181127_083303.jpg

55 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

Thanks for the tip! What kind of tubes are 

They are from some umbrellas a company had used for advertising. Must have been a wedding expo or something. I was given a few cases of them. The tubes are about 8 1/2 inches long and have an inside diameter of 1 3/4 inches. And you get an umbrella to boot..lol..

20181127_092022.jpg

20181127_092036.jpg

Did the same thing with a gear up eel pouch. Tubes I used were fluorescent light tubes that can be bought cheap at home depot. Only pain in the ass is finding a cap to fit them so the hooks don't get caught up underneath

39 mins ago, 914surf said:

Did the same thing with a gear up eel pouch. Tubes I used were fluorescent light tubes that can be bought cheap at home depot. Only pain in the ass is finding a cap to fit them so the hooks don't get caught up underneath

What did you end up using for a bottom cap??

42 mins ago, msrief said:

What did you end up using for a bottom cap??

I ordered end caps from a plastic distribution company but they ended up being too small so the tube goes around the cap rather than the cap going around the tube and they don't stay in place

I need to drill the bottom caps for drainage. These tubes fit in this bag as if they were made for it. I like the idea of the side flaps on a gear up bag though. The tubes would have to be smaller than the ones i used.

Edited by archer292

light tubes work great, as far as end caps, I have found soft drink caps to work well, gator aid , energy drinks and so on , a little experimenting, and some hot glue or 5 min epoxy,make great end caps on the cheap

14 hours ago, bugsbenny said:

light tubes work great, as far as end caps, I have found soft drink caps to work well, gator aid , energy drinks and so on , a little experimenting, and some hot glue or 5 min epoxy,make great end caps on the cheap

Thanks for the tip I'll give this a try

6 mins ago, BassPD said:

I’ve used fluorescent light tube holders, they are strong and extremely light. Hot glue them together 

yep I switched my tubes for the fluoro light tube holders, then I duct tape them together for whatever shape I want to out in the bag.

1 hour ago, BassPD said:

I’ve used fluorescent light tube holders, they are strong and extremely light. Hot glue them together 

59 mins ago, gman1253 said:

yep I switched my tubes for the fluoro light tube holders, then I duct tape them together for whatever shape I want to out in the bag.

What do you guys use for caps?