Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alexey

Secret fishing tricks

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Is there a secret trick up your sleeve that helps you catch fish when others don’t? Tssss.... Quiet ..... (looks around).  Noone is here to overhear us other than our fishermen brethren.  (Whispers).  Please share.  Remember, what you say here, stays here.

Hard work pays off. Study your target species and learn everything you can about it. Fish longer and harder than everyone else and eventually you will learn a few things. Now that doesn’t mean it’s a trick as nothing works 100% of the time. 

One random thing that comes to mind is a pretty specific scituation when you are using a floating needlefish at night. 95% of the time I am fishing these with a very slow standard retrieve but sometimes there are times when I’ll stick my finger out so the line slaps my finger as reel in which creates a subtle pulse to the lure which sometimes triggers way more bites. 

3 hours ago, JMB2 said:

One random thing that comes to mind is a pretty specific scituation when you are using a floating needlefish at night. 95% of the time I am fishing these with a very slow standard retrieve but sometimes there are times when I’ll stick my finger out so the line slaps my finger as reel in which creates a subtle pulse to the lure which sometimes triggers way more bites. 

That’s a great trick.  Thanks!

Come into contact with your plug as soon as possible. Don’t stop your cast but know where it’s ending and start to crank to get in touch with it as soon as you can. If there’s fish around this can cause a bite instantly. 

4 hours ago, JMB2 said:

I pretty much use that "finger touching the line technique" with all the lures I use. It helps me stay in touch with the lure as well as adds a bit more action. Plus the technique adds a little more tension to the reeled line. Works extremely well with bucktails and SS darters.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

8 hours ago, JMB2 said:

I have a Shakespeare reel made for freshwater that has a pulse mode but never used it much.

I knew a guy who swore that clapping his hands and shouting attracted fish. So when the fishing got slow he'd start clapping his hands and making a ruckus. 

For me, it's really about understanding what fish are doing locally at that particular time of year.  Then tide and currents. 

Knowing when not to fish (water too muddy, too bright, water too hot/cold) is just as important as knowing when to fish. 

Ok, here's a trick.
When the bluefish are short biting my bait I'll add a stinger hook to catch them. 

55 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Hooks are about 1000% more important than the stuff we all spend 100s of dollars on.

agree on that. 

spent 100s on gear and i saved on hooks

end of the day i get more misses than landing the fish

im changing all my stock hook on my lure

When. Fishing with a spinning reel , learn to have the bail over before it hits the water. So it takes  the slack out of the line. Also like a nice big splash to start, it attracts them . Get there attention ?      Plastic plugs sink?  If it sinks you lose 15’ of your retrieve ?

ccb  

1 hour ago, ccb said:

When. Fishing with a spinning reel , learn to have the bail over before it hits the water. So it takes  the slack out of the line. Also like a nice big splash to start, it attracts them . Get there attention ?      Plastic plugs sink?  If it sinks you lose 15’ of your retrieve ?

ccb  

Thanks for sharing.  Why would we lose 15’ if it sinks?  Wouldn’t it be possible for the fish to hit it while under water?