Nessmuk

A New Age Starts Now

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

It appears that the Chinese have produced their first genetically engineered children using CRISPR modification.  This has been coming for a long time, but really marks the beginning of a new era.  I mean that seriously.  Because of the current speed of gene sequencing, availability of CRISPR, and the steady improvement in our understanding of various gene complexes, we will soon see widespread manipulation of the human genome.

My prediction is that no nation will be able to avoid joining the gene-race.  Initially there will competition to produce the best, brightest, most fit, most productive citizens possible.  But those are just the appealing traits.  Can you breed subservience like you can skin tone?  I don't know, but it'll be tried.

Within a couple of decades, the definition of "human" will begin to fray as genetic lines begin to fuzz.

We will not stop this process.  Not a chance.  Do we dive in or hold out?

Edited by Nessmuk

9 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

dive in :th:

totalrecallbreasts-600x340.jpg

Perhaps we can remove the stoopid out of the gene pool. :laugh:

But this is really happening.  It's not some sci-fi far-off what if.  It's starting right now.

Edited by Nessmuk

New age:

"From 0 A.D. to the present we have been in the Age of Pisces. For the next 2000 years we will be in the Aquarian Age. We have been in the transition from the Piscean Age to the Aquarian Age for the last 50 years. The official beginning of the Aquarian Age is November 11, 2011 or 11/11/11."

But yeah CRISPR is scary stuff, especially with regard to biological terrorism. 

Can't see any way to avoid the changes, the box has been opened. 

25 mins ago, Nessmuk said:

It appears that the Chinese have produced their first genetically engineered children using CRISPR modification.  This has been coming for a long time, but really marks the beginning of a new era.  I mean that seriously.  Because of the current speed of gene sequencing, availability of CRISPR, and the steady improvement in our understanding of various gene complexes, we will soon see widespread manipulation of the human genome.

My prediction is that no nation will be able to avoid joining the gene-race.  Initially there will competition to produce the best, brightest, most fit, most productive citizens possible.  But those are just the appealing traits.  Can you breed subservience like you can skin tone?  I don't know, but it'll be tried.

Within a couple of decades, the definition of "human" will begin to fray as genetic lines begin to fuzz.

We will not stop this process.  Not a chance.  Do we dive in or hold out?

22 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

dive in :th:

totalrecallbreasts-600x340.jpg

Blonde hair

big cans 

long legs

dumb as sh*t

A deplorable wet dream

seriously I wouldn’t be so fast to jump on it

not unless we understand how this alters immune systems and other complex processes.

I don't think we know if we can IMPROVE the genome we have, but we're figuring out how to replicate the best of it.  In other words, we may not be able to make someone smarter than the smartest person who ever lived, but we'll start matching that intelligence as soon as we understand the gene complex for it.

Do I see fish-men?  No.  Do I see far more brilliant, talented, fit, productive people.  Undoubtably.  And competition for who can make them quickest.  And problems with who can afford them.

If true, it's rogue science to me. Rogue to almost all scientists ...except the ones doing the work. From Quartz:

More than 100 Chinese scientists have condemned the CRISPR baby experiment as “crazy”

A group of scientists in China claim that they have helped bring two genetically edited twin babies to life. The goal in doing so was to bestow the twin girls with the ability to prevent HIV infection and avoid AIDS. The scientists claim they were successful, according to reports in Associated Press and MIT Tech Review.

The claims haven’t been independently verified, but if they are true, then both science and ethics have entered unchartered territories.

More than 100 Chinese scientists have co-signed a letter, released on China’s social media site Weibo, condemning the experiment for using gene-editing technology on humans. The signatories include scientists from some of China’s most prominent universities and from overseas institutes like MIT.

Quartz has translated the letter into English.

Regarding the recent news from domestic and foreign media on human embryo gene-editing and two babies born using CRISPR technology, as rational human beings, with respect for scientific theories and concerns regarding the future scientific developments in China, our statement is as follows:

The bioethics approval for this so-called “study” was insufficient. We can only use the word “crazy” to describe the experiment conducted directly on human beings. We have much to debate inside the scientific community about the accuracy and off-target-effects brought by CRISPR. Any attempts to alter human embryos and make babies carry huge risks without strict examination beforehand.

It is scientifically possible, but scientists and medical experts have chosen not to use the technology on human beings because of uncertainties, risks, and most importantly, the ethical problems that follow. Such irreversible alterations on human genes will inevitably go into the human gene pool. We should have a thorough and in-depth discussion with scientists and people across the world about these potential effects. We cannot rule out the possibility that the babies, born using this technology, can be healthy for a period of time. But the potential risks and dangers brought along by the unjustified procedure, especially if such experiments carry on, are hard to measure.

At the same time, this is a strike at the reputation and development of China’s science, especially in biomedical research. It’s extremely unfair to most of the scientists and scholars who work hard to innovate and adhere to ethical guidelines.

We urge related regulatory departments and affiliated research institutes to establish laws and regulations on [gene-editing], and conduct a full investigation. They should also reveal the findings to the public.

Pandora’s Box has been opened. We need to close it before we lose our last chance. We as biomedical researchers strongly oppose and condemn any attempts on editing human embryo genes without scrutiny on ethics and safety!

Signed by 122 scientists: