Charlot2

Fenglass blank

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

What size is the butt ?

1978 catolog says, .970 butt = x fast, medium power 1/2- 2oz. lure. 8 tip. weight 16 oz.

1979 catolog says, 1" butt = x fast medium heavy, 1-4 oz.lure. 7 1/2 tip. weight 12.7/8 oz.*

From what I've read the brown lb967 was not made after 1980. Note the astrix after the weight on the 1-4 blank, couldn't find what that was there for, but that blank is 3 oz's lighter than the 1/2-2. ?? Were they made before 1978, probably. I'm just looking this up. No idea on value though.. Hope this helps.

They were considered to be very good blanks back in the day, although they haven't been made for a while.

Not sure what they are worth today, but I wouldn't hesitate to fish them  They've caught a lot of bass and blues over the years; no reason why they shouldn't catch more.

Fenglas was Fenwick's answer to Lamiglas' "S-glass" material.  I have several rods made with it.

One, my oldest and crudest, I wrapped myself.  #908, a "flipping stick" blank, and still a nice enough rod on a fluke boat - the relatively modest power makes it a nice rod for deadsticking. Ugly as sin, but that's on me.  A Big Surfstick or two (I forget what I have), two piece rods with Fenglas tips that fit over first-generation graphite butts. And one "Pacificstick," purchased as a blank, wrapped by me and then re-wrapped by someone else years later.  The Pacificsticks were Fenwick's answer to the Sabre Stroker rods made by California Tackle. I still love it but don't recall the blank number. If I get out on this Friday as planned, it's coming with me. Blackfish!

keep in mind that fast, x-fast, etc. meant something a bit different in 1978 than it does today.  those blanks are almost certainly moderate or even slow action by today's standards.