Need help finding good flats boots

Rate this topic

patabate

My last pair of Patagonia MarlĀ  Walkers finally broke apart. The rubber part of the uppers just cracked apart. They had about 30-40 days on the flats over 4 or 5 years and preformed well up to the last trip. Sadly Patagonia is out of the flats boot business. They had a good rigid sole, kept sand out well when used with gravel guards and were relatively light.

I do all my bonefishing on foot mostly in the Bahamas frequently crossing long stretches of marl. I view my boots as the most critical piece of equipment. You can scrounge up a rod, reel and most anything else you need in the Bahamas except a spare pair of boots that will fit.

I've seen Simms Flats Sneakers on line and they look similar to the Marl Walkers, any first hand opinions on those?

Appreciate any other ideas or suggestions anyone out there has.

Thanks.

Iā€™m strictly a wade fisherman andĀ Iā€™ve had the Simms boots, which held up well, but had to be retired because my feet have spread out with age, last yearĀ I used the Simms zip ups with just wool hiking socks, no guardsĀ in the Bahamas. DidĀ a lot of walkingĀ the flats, through marl, acrossĀ hot coral deserts etc, with no complaints.

JC

Hey, Pat - how've you been?Ā  I love the Marlwalkers, but mine are getting old, too.Ā  IĀ tried the Simms Flats sneakers and Simms booties, but they were both too narrow for my wide feet.Ā  I just bought a pair of the Orvis Christmas Island booties,Ā which feel quite a bit wider.Ā  I plan to try them out in the BahamasĀ in March.Ā  OrvisĀ also makes an Andros Flats Walker, which look (and cost, at $149) a lot like the Patagonia Marlwalkers.Ā  The Darien retail store doesn't carry them in stock, but will order them for free home delivery. I ordered two sizes and returned the pair that did not fit as well.

Ā 

Happy hunting!

Ā 

Tom B.

Ā 

Ā 

If you are a serious flats fisherman then I would recommend the Simms Flats Sneakers. If you are used to the Marl Walkers then going back to a neoprene booties style will not only disappoint you but probably not be adequate. If you are just fishing sand flats then the neoprene bootie style are great. But if you are fishing coral at all or have long walks then I think the support of the Flats Sneakers is much better.

I have been using Simms Flats Sneakers for several years now. On the beaches, rock piles, boat decks of southwest Florida. Very good product, highly recommend them. The only issue I have had is that if you are in heavy surf, sand , debris can work its way in the top portion of the sneaker, no big deal for me, I will rinse them out with fresh water after each use, air dry. Price right too, very good support, tough materials which could help out with small rays.

FLY TIME

Personally I have found all of the flats boots to either be 3x overpriced or suck and offer no protection whatsoever.Ā 

A $30 pair of hiking shoes with cotton socks is the best solution. I use them in Mexico, Turks & Caicos, and the Keys. Ā 

Where they really shine however , flats by our house in Texas... flats can either be white sand like the Bahamas or mud and oyster shell reefs, which have previously turned my Simms & orvis boots into ribbons after a few days. Plus it is stingray central down there.Ā 

Basically they provide protection and you canĀ use them until they rot and the soles fall off which is my sign for a replacement.Ā 

No people were ever yet benefited by riches if their prosperity corrupted their virtue....
-Theodore Roosevelt

8 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

Who makes the zip it boot? Thanks!

See I hate the zip booties.Ā  Sand always freaking gets inside the bootie and they are hot as hell.Ā As soon as sandĀ gets in there they have to come off or your feet/ankles are gonna get chafed up. Ā If you are wading sand flats the most important part of the whole shoeĀ is the sleeve that overlaps the bootĀ that keeps sand out.Ā  I'll replace the boots every trip if I have to but I won't wade a bonefish flat with out that sleeve.Ā  FWIW, my Simms flats boots have been going for a while a now with no signs immanent demise.

Ā 

You really can skimp on lots of other gear for bonefish but not flats boots.Ā  The guy up there that recommended hiking boots or guys have recommended Chuck Taylors in the pastĀ all seem like a good way to ruin the few and far between days on bonefish flats - just go the safe root and get the Simms or Orvis with the sleeve.