Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Titanty

'99 Century 20' CC

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Looking at a 1999 Century, seller is asking $6k. 115hp Yammy 2 stroke, single axel trailer.

Fiberglass has may small cracks, should that be a concern?  I'm not surprised with the age.

Anyone have experience with older Century boats?

The price seems right. I have seen 99-2002 sell for around 8-14k. Never driven one. What do you value the motor at?  Maybe 2k?

That would make the boat value around 4? 

If if you can squeeze some more crash maybe hold out for a 2000’s model with 4 stroke?

3 hours ago, Titanty said:

Looking at a 1999 Century, seller is asking $6k. 115hp Yammy 2 stroke, single axel trailer.

Fiberglass has may small cracks, should that be a concern?  I'm not surprised with the age.

Anyone have experience with older Century boats?

They say spider cracks in the gel coat don't harm the boat, but I don't like the looks of them   At 6000 its not a great deal with a 1999 2 stroke engine ?  The motor is 18 years old?  Ready for an overhaul?  My 225 Yamaha had to be rebuild after 15 years. ?  The boat w/ motor and trailer I would think should be around 4000 .  And be ready to replace the motor?   I would say keep looking.  

Here are photos of the crack I that I question. 1st picture are the worst...only on the ladder side, not around the motor mount or the opposite side of the motor.

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

Edited by Titanty

The first picture it show stress form the ladder, up against the transom. Could be from a heavy person using it?  Or just a weak point? 

The walls on the gunnels look like maybe form stress from sides moving or hitting waves on the side. Vibration ?  not sure?  how thick are the inside gunnels?  

i would check the corners around the transom where there are curves and turns?

The picture with the crack going into the work plate , looks like it a weak spot from where the cut out was made ?

Check to see if there is cracks in the transom area. Which happens in a lot of boats, from bounding in the waves and from motors?  Water can get in and make the transom weak and rot also. 

Also go on the Hull Truth and ask them. There are some very knowledgeable people there. They are glad to help you.    Hope this helps. don't mean to scare you. 

I agree with Riddler, as I owned a 96 19ft Century with a Yammie 115, Hull was sound the 115 sucked up gas barely 2mpg and as told by shop foreman the 115 Yammie was know for being hard to start, (Mine sure was) Black Box went out and  was 775.00 , top was 32 with only two people and no gear

Buried Fuel tank very small deck open to replace fuel line/check valve on tank, as  I personally would replace Fuel line , bulb ,check valve,  steering cable, and probably battery cable, before setting out,  as doubtful this has been accomplished  of recent 

Yammie owned Century and Cobia both at one time, Yammie shut door on Century in 2009,, Move up perhaps find a Similar Boat with Good Hull re powered with a 4 stroke,i also recommend a tandem axle with 20ft