Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Gyroscopic stabilizers

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I was looking at ads and reviews for big CC consoles the other day.  One article mentioned that a $65K option was a gyroscopic stabilizer that made a marked difference in the hull being reviewed. I wish I could remember what boat was being reviewed, I'd re-read the article for anything I missed.  

 

Anyone here have experience with such units? They're expensive enough to be limited to high-end hulls, hence this choice of Forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I was looking at ads and reviews for big CC consoles the other day.  One article mentioned that a $65K option was a gyroscopic stabilizer that made a marked difference in the hull being reviewed. I wish I could remember what boat was being reviewed, I'd re-read the article for anything I missed.  

 

Anyone here have experience with such units? They're expensive enough to be limited to high-end hulls, hence this choice of Forum. 

Yes.

 

Cousin captains a 61 viking.  Now, you'd think it would be unneeded on a boat that size...and, IMO it is, but you can easily tell when its not on.  What amazed me was the difference it made while at cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting!

 

I was looking at the Seakeeper site just now. Their gyro system has generated the few reviews that I find on the Internet. I think that, money being no object (the technology isn't cheap, nor is installation a gimme) that it'd be nice to verify exactly what modern hulls lend themselves to an installation without major cutting and filling. Ideally, you'd want a hull with all-solid stringers, I think, and lots more by way of backing plates and through bolts then the recommended minimum.  A 36' CC would have the room. Maybe Yellowfin, Buddy Davis .... etc.?

 

In my dreams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Interesting!

 

I was looking at the Seakeeper site just now. Their gyro system has generated the few reviews that I find on the Internet. I think that, money being no object (the technology isn't cheap, nor is installation a gimme) that it'd be nice to verify exactly what modern hulls lend themselves to an installation without major cutting and filling. Ideally, you'd want a hull with all-solid stringers, I think, and lots more by way of backing plates and through bolts then the recommended minimum.  A 36' CC would have the room. Maybe Yellowfin, Buddy Davis .... etc.?

 

In my dreams. 

most boats that size have space for either a diesel generator or a seakeeper, not both, that my change if these stabilizers become standard equipment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Interesting!

 

I was looking at the Seakeeper site just now. Their gyro system has generated the few reviews that I find on the Internet. I think that, money being no object (the technology isn't cheap, nor is installation a gimme) that it'd be nice to verify exactly what modern hulls lend themselves to an installation without major cutting and filling. Ideally, you'd want a hull with all-solid stringers, I think, and lots more by way of backing plates and through bolts then the recommended minimum.  A 36' CC would have the room. Maybe Yellowfin, Buddy Davis .... etc.?

 

In my dreams. 

I think some of the higher end CCs are already using them.

 

Solid stringers?  No, don't think so.  Solid stingers don't do anyting besides add weight.  But I do imagine you need some beef to mount them.  I forget the particulars, but they spin at some ungodly RPM.  They actually take a bit to spool up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, bunker86 said:

If an “add on” to a new boat, does it affect the hull warranty?

i would think the OEM would frown on someone  hacking up

the hull they have to stand behind.

Ever see the stringer grid in a higher end CC?  With the $$ involved in the unit, we're not talking about putting them in a price boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, maybe not solid stringers.  Still, every time a gyro unit exerts force against roll, some part of the structure has to be holding together against load. You wouldn't want to use such a thing regularly without plenty of extra beef in the boat's structure, however you measure it.  

 

Ferret makes an interesting point - you may have the space and weight for a Seakeeper, or a genset, but not both.  The smaller units can be run off your O/Bs, according to the site. That assumes (I think) that the engines are running. If you're trying to sit on an anchor, or drift, and you want to use the gyro, you would go through your batteries very, very fast.

 

I don't know what the real service lifetime of a Seakeeper might be. It would presumably be dependent on use over time. I wonder if there are any partyboats that use such a set? I don't know of any around me.  

 

I think I will ask the company.  Just to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The company website is an odd beast. No address for corporate HQ or the manufacturing plant, just dealers and so on. I assume that they're avoiding direct customer contact as a part of their relationship with the dealers.  None of the boats listed as available for inspection are partyboats, though a couple might be charter hulls. 

 

There are a couple of dealers or representatives on Long Island. over the winter I just might drop by, and chew the fat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, makorider said:

Ever see the stringer grid in a higher end CC?  With the $$ involved in the unit, we're not talking about putting them in a price boat

a sea keeper here, a sky hook there, a pair 7 marine outboards to push to it, that's a quarter mill before the hull, it's only money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why I wrote "In my dreams."  

 

Never mind the 7 engines, I'd rather make do with a power system with broader support.  One of the Seakeeper test boats is a 37' Albemarle with twin diesel inboards (your choice of three brands) and that would be a lovely hull on which to experiment.

 

My wife plays the lottery constantly. I wish she'd hurry up and win, so I could design a big monohull party boat to my own spec. Live bait wells, a small cabin behind the bridge for my use exclusively, electrical outlets to be rented by anglers who don't want to carry batteries on a deep drop tilefish trip, Seakeeper to moderate motion, a separate, well-shielded genset for the outlets and the Seakeeper, a greenstick for trolling on the way out, and a pair of Arneson drives to Go Fast for reduced fuel consumption.  A heated rail, too, for Nov-April. Oceanographers' Canyon, here I come. Possibly an X-bow, too.

 

Did I miss any cool gadgets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True.  An all-Playmate crew would excite more attention and envy then the best fishing boat in the world ... be fun to arrange.

 

There used to be a sly Montauk joke about that, when the megayachts came in with some bikini'd cutie conspicuously displaying herself on the foredeck.  They were the "nieces," wink wink.

I don't know if that's still current usage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.