jjdbike

Help match rod for Maxel Hybrid 20 please

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I just picked up a Maxel Hybrid 20 (round, narrow frame, star drag, thumb bar) jigging reel w/ 30lb PE braid.

I need to pick a rod to match it. This is how I'll be using it. I be jigging: large deep-water fluke, hoddock, black seabass, shallow school cod, using 3- 8oz (4-6oz sweet spot) bucktails, diamond jigs, Lucanus style jigs, all on a party boat.

What off-the-shelf rods would be a good match w/ this reel for these purposes?

I am currently thinking about the Shimano TFC63M Travala F butterfly jigging rod 6'3", medium fast, 30 - 80lb braid 75-200gm.

Since it's a small jigging reel w/ a thumb-bar, I think a trigger seat would be handy.

Any input, opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

JD

I personally would look at a longer rod 7’ + , I use 7.6 or 8’ . Line class 15x 40 or  15x30 

check out “Edge”  Rod site big sale now going on and several rods there would fit the bill 

Their Pelagic 7’  or MBR 705 series which I’ve been using for several years are light and exhibit great tapers for this fishery ! 

any of the trevala-style rods would be good for this reel.  I use a Daiwa Saltiga series rod, but any manufacturer is probably fine

Man......you can do a heck of a lot better than the trevala f rods in 2018.

Good sticks and have put a few thousand pounds of stripers to tuna on em.

But in my opinion there are better available.

Funny thing about maxell.....they literally have no clue at all about fishing......but make some damn good stuff.

Their platinum jig rods are really nice.

I'd take one of them over the Trevala F 8 days a week.  

As they are designed specifically for "JIGGING"

The trevalas are a bit long in the tooth and companies have addressed many faults that can be found in earlier "jig" rods

And they have the slow pitch rods too.

You may be better looking at the Teremar line of shimanos for what you describe.  

Edited by scoobydoo

9 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Man......you can do a heck of a lot better than the trevala f rods in 2018.

Good sticks and have put a few thousand pounds of stripers to tuna on em.

But in my opinion there are better available.

Funny thing about maxell.....they literally have no clue at all about fishing......but make some damn good stuff.

Their platinum jig rods are really nice.

I'd take one of them over the Trevala F 8 days a week.  

As they are designed specifically for "JIGGING"

The trevalas are a bit long in the tooth and companies have addressed many faults that can be found in earlier "jig" rods

And they have the slow pitch rods too.

You may be better looking at the Teremar line of shimanos for what you describe.  

Scoob,

Thank you very much for that specific input.

I looked at the Maxel Platiunm. I didn't know that Maxel made rods. They look nice w/ good components. I have two questions regarding these rods.

1st, they look like they're build for fishing really big fish, they have gimbals & are rated for high strength braid. The biggest fish I'l likley to hook using this would be a steaker cod or a pollack while jiggong for black seabass. I'm only using 30 lb braid on a size 20 reel. Are these rods overkill?

2nd, I see they are medium action. I'll be using between 5 & 8 oz jigs (bucktails, diamond & Lucanus) but mostly in the 5-7 oz range. I'm defintaly used to fast action rods & don't even own anything that's not fast action. I believe the fast action rods (though I could be wrong) have a wider range of jig one can effectivly toss & work. By the weight of the 

The M Maxel Platinum is rated at 30 - 50 lb line & 5.25 jig. The MH is rated for 30 - 65 lb line & 7 oz jigs. Logiclly, the MH seems like the one, would you agree?

I looked at the Teremar & wasn't fond of them.

Is the Penn Carnage II jigging rod worth a look?

Thanks!

JD

Edited by jjdbike

i am not blackhole rep nor have i fished one but everyone seems to be impressed with them so that might be a solid option and very reasonable priced. if you want to venture into real slow pitch jigging you can go cheap like majorcraft or more expensive with evergreen Poseidon, xesta, or temple reef.

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Scoob,

Thank you very much for that specific input.

I looked at the Maxel Platiunm. I didn't know that Maxel made rods. They look nice w/ good components. I have two questions regarding these rods.

1st, they look like they're build for fishing really big fish, they have gimbals & are rated for high strength braid. The biggest fish I'l likley to hook using this would be a steaker cod or a pollack while jiggong for black seabass. I'm only using 30 lb braid on a size 20 reel. Are these rods overkill?

2nd, I see they are medium action. I'll be using between 5 & 8 oz jigs (bucktails, diamond & Lucanus) but mostly in the 5-7 oz range. I'm defintaly used to fast action rods & don't even own anything that's not fast action. I believe the fast action rods (though I could be wrong) have a wider range of jig one can effectivly toss & work. By the weight of the 

The M Maxel Platinum is rated at 30 - 50 lb line & 5.25 jig. The MH is rated for 30 - 65 lb line & 7 oz jigs. Logiclly, the MH seems like the one, would you agree?

I looked at the Teremar & wasn't fond of them.

Is the Penn Carnage II jigging rod worth a look?

Thanks!

JD

No problem you're welcome

The platinum jigging rods are jigging specific I have their heavier one 5'6 H rated to 8.25 oz  and it's a perfectly balanced beast of a rod that is very light in weight and in the tip.  I don't know how well they'll pull double duty.  Which is what made the trevalas popular

I used it for butterfly style jigging and big hammered diamond jigs and really liked.

But for pure jigging rods they are leaps and bounds better than the trevala f

The platinums action fishes like a bit more of a fast action until it's loaded up when fighting a fish.

I'm not sure what rod length you prefer for the boat you'll be on.  But most true jigging rods are short for leverage and sometimes that doesn't translate to boats with High rails, gunwales and freeboard.

You weren't a fan of the Teramar NE?   I have a pair 7' 1-4  or the 7'6 rated to 6 ounces are great all rounders.  Super light with good actions and power....but could use a component refresh to make em look more 2018'y

The 7'6 I use for chunking and bass jigging as well as plugging.

I don't know much about the carnage rods.

I take about 30 trips a year on party n charter all for species your chasing . If your strictly a party boat guy then 7.6 - 8' rods is best suited . I prefer a fast taper rod that loads quickly for any deep,water use .  I shorter jigging rod is not the way to,go,since most of this jigging is actually a combination jig n bait set up .

shorter heavier action jigging rods are just that jigging rods . 

I just took several,wreck trips that required different methods to get the bigger seasbass , squidding was not the ticket , they wanted a swept jigging motion and a longer rod simply moves the jib better all hits came on drop . Shorter rods put um loser to boat as well and don't protect light line big fish tangles and hull contact .

i seldom see any seasoned angler on these trips using a tuna class jig stick,unless tuna are ur quarry .

Longer fast action lightweight  rods are the ticket to this fishery ! I personally

seldom use over 15x 30 line class . If u get into tog jigging we even use lighter spin or conventional  like 15 x 25 LV class !

Good luck 

9 mins ago, Capt. Lou said:

I take about 30 trips a year on party n charter all for species your chasing . If your strictly a party boat guy then 7.6 - 8' rods is best suited . I prefer a fast taper rod that loads quickly for any deep,water use .  I shorter jigging rod is not the way to,go,since most of this jigging is actually a combination jig n bait set up .

shorter heavier action jigging rods are just that jigging rods . 

I just took several,wreck trips that required different methods to get the bigger seasbass , squidding was not the ticket , they wanted a swept jigging motion and a longer rod simply moves the jib better all hits came on drop . Shorter rods put um loser to boat as well and don't protect light line big fish tangles and hull contact .

i seldom see any seasoned angler on these trips using a tuna class jig stick,unless tuna are ur quarry .

Longer fast action lightweight  rods are the ticket to this fishery ! I personally

seldom use over 15x 30 line class . If u get into tog jigging we even use lighter spin or conventional  like 15 x 25 LV class !

Good luck 

EXACTLY THIS!!!!

I think I did a crap poor job bringing that up in regards to the maxell rod

Oh and Capt,  I ordered one of the NFC XRay blanks.......gonna be a fun build

I may strip down a daiwa ags for it's carbon fiber guides and use it on it to make the ultimate in excess :) 

I landed on a Black Hole Challenger Bank medium jigging rod.

A little more than I wanted to spend, but it seems to fit my bill pretty well. Cyber Monday deal (15% off & free shipping) made it less painful.

Time will tell. 

I’ll report out for sure. 

Thanks everone!

JD

On 11/25/2018 at 8:04 PM, BrianBM said:

When  you have some mileage on the reel, give us a report. We haven't had much user talk about it.

Brian

PB110510.JPG.90ad69dae8085df763845c616a71c48b.JPG

Started fishing this reel this spring on fluke fishing. Carried into the early fall for TauTog on Jigs and plan to use it into late fall / winter Tog rig bait fishing...:)

The very narrow spool make it nice jig fishing reel. I can take some more photos if you like; your thumb will cover the width of the entire spool. The 25 has a wider spool for heavier braid. Both reels have the same unbelievable 28 pounds of drag.  The reel has a nice retrieve ratio and a drag that can take some respectable fish. It's a smooth reel with allot of power. I got the reel for inshore fishing, deep drop Fluke, Stripers, Tog. The reel is so small, its hard to believe it preforms the way it dose.

On the other side of the coin; the reel is so smooth that on a drop or cast you must keep the thumb bar depressed at all times or risk the reel engaging by itself stripping gears. I experienced this dropping a fluke jig when the weight of the handle engaged the reel on the drop. Another time pitching 1 1/2 ounce Tog jig engaged the reel.

Hopefully this Friday I get to test it out on some nice White Chin Tog. Ask me next season if the reel is still holding up.

Lou T      

Edited by Lou T

5 hours ago, Lou T said:

Brian

PB110510.JPG.90ad69dae8085df763845c616a71c48b.JPG

Started fishing this reel this spring on fluke fishing. Carried into the early fall for TauTog on Jigs and plan to use it into late fall / winter Tog rig bait fishing...:)

The very narrow spool make it nice jig fishing reel. I can take some more photos if you like; your thumb will cover the width of the entire spool. The 25 has a wider spool for heavier braid. Both reels have the same unbelievable 28 pounds of drag.  The reel has a nice retrieve ratio and a drag that can take some respectable fish. It's a smooth reel with allot of power. I got the reel for inshore fishing, deep drop Fluke, Stripers, Tog. The reel is so small, its hard to believe it preforms the way it dose.

On the other side of the coin; the reel is so smooth that on a drop or cast you must keep the thumb bar depressed at all times or risk the reel engauging by itself stripping gears. I experienced this dropping a fluke jig when the weight of the handle engauged the reel on the drop. Another time pitching 1 1/2 ounce Tog jig engauged the reel.

Hopefully this Friday I get to test it out on some nice White Chin Tog. Ask me next season if the reel is still holding up.

Lou T      

Cool, 

Thanks Lou. What line did you go with? Obviously with that reel in particular, it’s important to maximize strength to diameter. I’m looking now for a braid that’s thin & strong.

If you don’t mind sharing, what rod do you use it on?

Hope you get some nice white chins!

JD

10 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Cool, 

Thanks Lou. What line did you go with? Obviously with that reel in particular, it’s important to maximize strength to diameter. I’m looking now for a braid that’s thin & strong.

If you don’t mind sharing, what rod do you use it on?

Hope you get some nice white chins!

JD

Hi jjdbike

Your quite welcome. Please excuse my typos, I should proof read before hitting submit...:eek:

As far as the line on the reel; I believe I spooled it with 30 pound Stealth line I had laying around at the time. Other super braided lines I prefer are. Berkley Fire Line Tracer braid in 30 pound. Its thin, smooth, with great abrasion resistance. Daiwa Boat braid gets two thumbs up, and Daiwa Samurai. You can not go wrong with any of these super braids I mentioned.

As far as the rod in the photo; It's a ODM prototype boat rod I have been testing for some time now. So far so good, its very sensitive, extremely light, with power and a good feel behind it. The one in the photo is rated 3/4 - 4oz. I have a 3-6oz; I have been testing as well. The versions I have, are the soft moderate versions. I'm meeting up tomorrow on a party boat with other anglers that have been testing the moderate fast versions. We plan to swap and compare the different action rods.

Thank you for your well wishes, I hope there hungry...:)

Lou T

Edited by Lou T