BrianBM

Veterans in Congress, and Jeff Bezos

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

President Trump periodically denounces Bezos because he owns the Washington Post, whose coverage of the White House is not something that the President enjoys. President Trump should count his blessings, that Bezos mostly ignores him.  With $150 billion, the richest man in America could fund a lot of PACs and candidates, if he wanted. 

Bezos does have one PAC (name forgotten) with a specific mission - he funds veterans who ran for Congress. About 150 vets got money, 100 Democrats and 50 Republicans (the greater number of vets who ran as Democrats is interesting. I wonder why. I don't know.) 

In any case, I haven't seen anything that shows how many veterans will be seated in the forthcoming Congress.  Anyone know? 

With all the talk of reigning in these monster companies, the more Congressmen he owns the better a position he is in.... 

The only Amazon news I'm seeing is that their employees are striking.

On Strike! Amazon Workers Walk Out In Germany, Spain, Italy And The UK
Workers seek higher pay, safer, more humane working conditions in Black Friday action.
By Mary Papenfuss

Amazon workers in Germany, Spain, Italy and the U.K. walked off the job on Black Friday, mixing labor unrest with the start of the biggest shopping season of the year.

Close to 90 percent of the workers — some 1,600 employees, according to Business Insider — participated in the walkout at Spain’s largest Amazon warehouse in San Fernando de Henares near Madrid, and will continue to strike Saturday, Reuters reported.

Some 620 workers also walked out at German distribution centers in Bad Hersfeld and Rheinberg. But Amazon officials said most staff continued working and customer service was unaffected, according to Reuters.

The 24-hour German strike was organized by the Ver.di services union, which is demanding better pay and safe and healthy working conditions.

“We are entering the end of year spurt, the most stressful time for employees,” union representative Mechthild Middeke told Reuters. “Especially on a day like Black Friday, employees should be the central focus.”

The union, which has been pushing for years for higher pay, says Amazon workers receive lower wages than others in retail and mail-order jobs. But Amazon claims the work sites are logistics centers and pay well for that sector, The Associated Press reported. German staff earn a starting pay of the equivalent of $12.23 an hour, according to Reuters.

An early statement from British union GMB said hundreds were expected to strike at five locations across the U.K. Friday to protest “inhuman conditions” at Amazon warehouses. GMB claims that ambulances have been called 600 times to Amazon warehouses in the past three years ending in May to attend to worker injuries on the job.

“The conditions our members at Amazon are working under are frankly inhuman,” said a statement by GMB General Secretary Tim Roache. “They are breaking bones, being knocked unconscious and being taken away in ambulances.

He added: “We’re standing up and saying enough is enough. These are people making Amazon its money. People with kids, homes, bills to pay — they’re not robots. Jeff Bezos is the richest bloke on the planet; he can afford to sort this out.”  

Amazon announced last month that it would raise its minimum wage to $15 an hour in the U.S., but then eliminated several financial perks apparently as a way to fund the hourly raises.

27 mins ago, BrianBM said:

President Trump periodically denounces Bezos because he owns the Washington Post, whose coverage of the White House is not something that the President enjoys. President Trump should count his blessings, that Bezos mostly ignores him.  With $150 billion, the richest man in America could fund a lot of PACs and candidates, if he wanted. 

Bezos does have one PAC (name forgotten) with a specific mission - he funds veterans who ran for Congress. About 150 vets got money, 100 Democrats and 50 Republicans (the greater number of vets who ran as Democrats is interesting. I wonder why. I don't know.) 

In any case, I haven't seen anything that shows how many veterans will be seated in the forthcoming Congress.  Anyone know? 

4 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

My 93 number was from 11/13, so perhaps a few races called since then include veterans. 

Got my numbers from militarytimes. Article's from last week. 

However, next year’s Congress will boast the largest number of female veterans in history (six) and the largest class of freshmen veteran lawmakers in a decade (19). Nearly half of the veterans caucus served in the ranks after 2000, while four members still boast service from the 1950s.

Here’s a look at the group, by the numbers:

95 total veterans in the 116th Congress.

30 are Democrats, 65 are Republicans.

18 will serve in the Senate, 77 will serve in the House.

47 served in the military after 2000.

21 served in the military in the 1960s or earlier.

19 are first-time lawmakers.

6 are women.

50 served in the Army, Army Reserve or Army National Guard.

17 served in the Marine Corps or Marine Corps Reserve.

16 served in the Air Force, Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard.

13 served in the Navy or Naval Reserve.

1 served in the Coast Guard.

I thought Democrats wanted the big money out of our elections?

Is Bezos' money somehow different?

Why is it interesting when he funds campaigns, but when some rich Republican(Koch Bros) throws his money around that is a bad thing?

fjr, thank you.  Nineteen new veteran legislators is significant. 

I believe that about four million Americans have been through the Middle East since 9/11/01.  This suggests to me that the number of veterans in Congress might increase further with time. 

Dena, how much has Bezos spent? I don't know. He certainly doesn't have the record of political spending associated with the Koch family, or with Tom Steyer. 

39 mins ago, BrianBM said:

fjr, thank you.  Nineteen new veteran legislators is significant. 

I believe that about four million Americans have been through the Middle East since 9/11/01.  This suggests to me that the number of veterans in Congress might increase further with time. 

Dena, how much has Bezos spent? I don't know. He certainly doesn't have the record of political spending associated with the Koch family, or with Tom Steyer. 

I don't know, or care to look.

But ol Bezos is a rich guy throwing his money around.

Maybe he just wants to buy enough numbers to squash any anti-Amazon legislation coming down the pike.

It is only prudent for someone under attack to defend himself.