jjdbike

Trigger seat w/ Maxel Hybrid; pros & cons please?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Please forgive my ignorance here. I've only ever used conventional reels bottom fishing on boats & only round start drag reels.

I've never had a trigger seat rod. I just bought a Maxel 20 Hybrid loaded w/ 30 lb PE braid) (i.e. w/ thumb-bar) on our BST forum.

I'll use it for jigging Nantucket fluke, shallow haddock & smallish cod and black seabass. I'll be using bucktials, diamond jigs, and perhaps some Shimano Lucanus jigs.

I noticed another combo on the BST w/ a Maxel Hybrid on a trigger seat & the seller I bought mine from suggested a trigger seat.

I was going to match it to a Blackhole Charter special 7'3" 3 - 8oz 20 - 40 braid. It's a traditional boat seat / handle. Now I'm considering the Shimano Travala F butterfly jigging rod rated 110 - 240 grams (approx 4 - 8 oz). 

I'll be fishing almost strictly off of party boats.

I'm looking for opinions here please.

What would pros and cons be of the trigger grip vs more traditional boat seat w/ this type of reel (small round, narrow star drag w/thumb-bar) for my purpose? 

Any other rods I should be considering for this?

Thanks in advance!

JD

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

Please forgive my ignorance here. I've only ever used conventional reels bottom fishing on boats & only round start drag reels.

I've never had a trigger seat rod. I just bought a Maxel 20 Hybrid loaded w/ 30 lb PE braid) (i.e. w/ thumb-bar) on our BST forum.

I'll use it for jigging Nantucket fluke, shallow haddock & smallish cod and black seabass. I'll be using bucktials, diamond jigs, and perhaps some Shimano Lucanus jigs.

I noticed another combo on the BST w/ a Maxel Hybrid on a trigger seat & the seller I bought mine from suggested a trigger seat.

I was going to match it to a Blackhole Charter special 7'3" 3 - 8oz 20 - 40 braid. It's a traditional boat seat / handle. Now I'm considering the Shimano Travala F butterfly jigging rod rated 110 - 240 grams (approx 4 - 8 oz). 

I'll be fishing almost strictly off of party boats.

I'm looking for opinions here please.

What would pros and cons be of the trigger grip vs more traditional boat seat w/ this type of reel (small round, narrow star drag w/thumb-bar) for my purpose? 

Any other rods I should be considering for this?

Thanks in advance!

JD

I suppose I should have simply posted a help me match this narrow star drag thumbar jigging reel to a rod. 

I’m just really curious about the trigger seat’s pros & cons for tne above described use (jigging Nantucket fluke, haddock, cod, seabass w/ 4-8oz bucktails, diamond & Lucanus jigs).

Any input, advice or options are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Trigger seats are good for small reels that you will pitch single handed. I use trigger seats on my boat rods and buck tail rods. I would never use a trigger on my heavy jigging rods or surf rods. The trigger gets in the way with bigger reels and if I am casting 2 handed, its not going to slip out of my hands anyway. Just my 2 cents.

I like triggers but,surf rods don't have them.

some of my rods have them some don't.

I have found them be comfortable and not in my way.

I have also found that rods without a trigger can make the wrist sore after plugging with heavy baits esp if the rod is on the thinner side.

thicker gripped rods no problem without a trigger.

I guess you will have to find out by fishing one.

HH

If you are using it for boat fishing, look into a palming reel seat rather than a trigger seat. They have a rear extension that is broader and set back farther than a trigger. The extension is far more comfortable against the side of your hand compared to a trigger.

Palming seats are made so you can hold the rod at the reel and the extension is not in the way of wrapping your hand around the rod and reel at the same time. When you do that the extension is back at the side of your hand.

The advantage, imo, is best seen with reels that have the gearbox on the side. These are off balance on a rod and tend to make the rod want to roll in your hand toward the gearbox side of the reel. With a palming seat, the extension contacts the side of your hand and prevents the roll. 

I have the same reel paired with a Tsunami boat rod with a trigger seat.  Light rod, light reel - it's killer for fluke, sea bass and porgy in shallow waters, but admittedly this rod is probably too light for the range you're  referring to for fluking in deeper waters.

From a comfort standpoint though, you can't beat it - one handed fishing, as you approach a dropoff you can just easily use the thumb bar to let more line out.  I would imagine it would work just fine with your setup.