Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salt deficient

Hiltonhead in Febuary

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I am going back to hiltnhead during the kids febuary winter break for a week.  I am bringing an infatable boat and outboard, so anywhere in the bay is game on a good day.

Been told fishing sucks in febuary.   What would be my best bet there?  I am imagining the deeper sots or possibly inlet area.   But, what kind of fish sticks around.  

Pretty much any bay charter packs it up for the winter there.

Looks like from my reading, sheepshead on structure and 2ft shallows for younger drums.  Seems the drums act like early season bass in bays.  Small and slow, or non fish stuff like crabs.

Not sure about lure selection though.  Always try small bucktails.  

Might just try live bait.  Crabs or minnows.

Itll all be about the temperature. The reds will still be there schooled up if you can find them and the trout hunkered down in the deep holes. But the sheepshead and flounder will have moved out. Fish can still be caught though. For lures gulp alive shrimp or swimming mullet and bass assassins work well, and for bait shrimp, mud minnows, mullet usually get it done. The fish will be spooky but if you can find a school of reds or trout youll have a blast. There are still some charters that go out of edisto island just to the north. Good luck!