EliasV

2018 outback cracked today

152 posts in this topic

What I have found is that the big  bass are still around in the ocean in new jersey but they don't frequent the shore line like they used too. They mostly stay out by the 3 mile mark. I guess this effects the surf fisherman more then the kayaker? Assuming you are willing to paddle 3 miles out to catch a fish this time of year.

20 mins ago, Slappy said:

Beach replenishment is deadly for some spots.  There was a bite that went on for decades, then they replenished the beach nearby, the next winter storm washed the sand over the rocks and the bass no longer hang out to grub for crabs and lobsters in the rocks. 

Good point......  but imo, those types of effects from replenishing are short lived for the most part,  natural dynamics always seems to win & the hard structure underneath always has the deciding hand what stays & what is moved out, at least in my experiences.....

Any number of given storms will add or remove sand anyway....i have a bunch of spots in montauk that occasionally get filled up, not from replenishment but from storms, all that beautiful structure gets covered up &  after a season or 2 or 3 its back.....

On the flip side, there's an ocean inlet that I jig from the rocks, Whenever i feel sand with my buc leading up to the rip & beyond with a good bounce i'll have fish staging..... (mostly) .....There's other times where the sand is stripped out of the inlet & i feel the buc banging off of nothing but hard structure (rock) .....I never caught a fish there when i feel that, at least nothing substantial ....could be coincidence i know but it could also be the way they relate to this particular pc of structure in the faster waters... I've always had better success with fishing hard structure in lower current waters than inlet speeds..... might sound kinda weird i know.

I really cant anchor onto any real theory..... also could be fish not extending their range as they did so many years ago, fishings good for several years & the next, not so much........ before you know it the bulk of the migrators are all going to the canal & not setting up in  my home water haunts that i've become accustomed to... could be true in your example as well.

Regards.......

Ask a NJ surfcaster, especially one who used to haunt Deal how much they like beach replenishment.  Better yet ask a shop that deals in surf.

17 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Ask a NJ surfcaster, especially one who used to haunt Deal how much they like beach replenishment.  Better yet ask a shop that deals in surf.

Lol... you’re right... It fuc*ed everything up... and yes nature will take its course and normalize everything but just as it’s trying to do that some fuc*ing moron decides to dump more sand on the beach... I get that part of the replenishment is to protect the multi-million dollar homes in the area but Mother Nature doesn’t give a F about that and despite all their efforts when mother speaks her wrath is heard... 

Geez, can’t believe this is still going on. My only point was to hopefully alert someone with a camo or new lime green outback. I know guys on this forum may have never “heard” of this crack happening lately. But on a different platform I received a few messages of their new and greatest colors cracking in my spot. 

Enjoy the bubble. It was dumb of me to post this. I’ll stay in my bubble.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Shipwreck said:

I feel for you jersey boys........ I'd freak out too... really :(

Did removing the shore side rocks  & filling in all those sweet spots with sand actually do anything other than keep you guys away? ...... Sucks! :dismay:

Edited by BillZ

I suppose Hobie could attach a warning on their kayaks.  Please remove your kayak carts  from the  scupper holes in the rear cargo area of the kayak when launching and landing . This may  prevent the problem. You laugh but some kayak sales people do caution you about scupper carts causing damage to kayaks.  John at paddlers cove in Washington new jersey told me not to put the kayak straps on the kayak near the scupper holes because it could damage them.  (While transporting the kayak on my kayak rack on top of my truck)

Chris at the kayak fishing store also warned about damaging your kayak with a scupper cart. I believe John still sells hobie's at the paddlers cove. I don't think Chris sells hobie kayaks. From what I was told the weakest part of a kayak is the area near the scupper holes and or drive well in the case of a hobie kayak ?

This seems to be an area where most problems occur?    I have heard of some problems near the seat pegs on older style kayaks. 

Edited by dbjpb

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, EliasV said:

Anyone that owns any of the new colors, just watch your scuppers. Put the pump in if you don't have one. I was inept. I never had a boat crack in that manner aside from a 2012 a customer had crack in a drive well while in NY.  A friend of mine with a camo one also cracked exact same spot. New pour or plastic or whatever. My 2011 still floats as does the 2015. Nothing changed with the way I treated it. It's the plastic. 

I pulled the trigger on a Predator PDL today as my non surf boat and will look for an older outback as my out front boat. 

IF coming in backwards five times in a season cracked the scupper then I want nothing to do with it. If Hobie constitutes what I do for a living as "commercial" then so be it. Shimano, Daiwa, and Thule certainly don't. 

Good call on the Old Town, I will be getting one in the spring, Kind of heavy, but stable as hell and well constructed...

3 hours ago, southjerz said:

I was looking at getting the green 19 outback. Why do you say its prone to these two colors? 

I think the point is that different colors can be more then just "different colors".  The color additives, pigments and loadings can impact mechanical properties.  EliasV is suggesting the new colors may not have all the "bugs" worked out and may need some refinement to ensure final mechanical properties are right.  But that appears to be a based on a correlation to his and others who have those colors. Note that correlation doesn't necessarily mean causality, so it could just be an observed coincidence.  

8 hours ago, EliasV said:

Geez, can’t believe this is still going on. My only point was to hopefully alert someone with a camo or new lime green outback. I know guys on this forum may have never “heard” of this crack happening lately. But on a different platform I received a few messages of their new and greatest colors cracking in my spot. 

Enjoy the bubble. It was dumb of me to post this. I’ll stay in my bubble.

I just watched your video on the leak. You’re lucky you fished inshore that day. That would have been a disaster if you were offshore. Especially if there were any swells. 

In that particular case, meh, water @ 60F, plenty of boats around. Radio + PFD.

Take the valuables off the kayak (which would still be floating), snap a picture and zoom away.

Side bonus: no need to properly dispose of the old hull :)

In some other setting, yes, folx could die :(

Blaming the color is not very responsible. Look at his face book page. Wheels are always in rear scupper holes while fishing. New to surf launches. Not  great at it by his own admission. Comes in backwards with wheels protruding from bottom of kayak? But yes it is a color problem? The color of money. Big investment to lose by a mistake?

Edited by dbjpb