EliasV

2018 outback cracked today

152 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, r111 said:

Excellent point by mmiller.

I had reduced the  cart's "uprights" a while back, they were interfering with loading/unloading.

They dont protrude past the bottom outline, but still stick out  out of the scupper holes 3" or so ( you can see that in the pic ) ... should probably cut them down even more so that they dont stick out of scuppers at all.

Could run into a rock formation and when these catch a boulder, would be nothing to cushion the blow. Indeedy

Clipboard01.jpg

IMHO cutting them short is the last thing you should do .... if the end is inside the scupper tube, that sharp piece will pierce the reinforced wall like a knife when any horizontal force is applied to the wheels.

On advice of elders, I change me mind.

My metal cutting bandsaw aint gonna like it, but I am keeping it as-is, with some protrusion out of scupper holes :)

When kayaking... place a pad below the cart crossbar to raise it in the scuppers. That would keep the ends from being below the hull when on the water and beaching.

Posted (edited) · Report post

the wheels on my hobie cart rest on the gunnels when in back.  pretty sure the engineers designed it that way so they dont extend past the bottom of the hull.   if someone diy'd their own cart and planned on storing it behind them upside down and didnt take that into account, then thats a pretty big miss imo.

Edited by gobigblue

On 11/25/2018 at 4:00 PM, EliasV said:

Anyone that owns any of the new colors, just watch your scuppers. Put the pump in if you don't have one. I was inept. I never had a boat crack in that manner aside from a 2012 a customer had crack in a drive well while in NY.  A friend of mine with a camo one also cracked exact same spot. New pour or plastic or whatever. My 2011 still floats as does the 2015. Nothing changed with the way I treated it. It's the plastic. 

I pulled the trigger on a Predator PDL today as my non surf boat and will look for an older outback as my out front boat. 

IF coming in backwards five times in a season cracked the scupper then I want nothing to do with it. If Hobie constitutes what I do for a living as "commercial" then so be it. Shimano, Daiwa, and Thule certainly don't. 

Surprised you picked the Predator with the high seat position.

Seemed like you didn’t like it in the Compass.

Will be following your new vids closely.:howdy:

On 11/25/2018 at 2:00 PM, EliasV said:

"Anyone that owns any of the new colors, just watch your scuppers."

"IF coming in backwards five times in a season cracked the scupper then I want nothing to do with it."

Gotta comment on this part...

You have to be kidding right?  You have metal extending below the hull and expect that repeated blows to the scuppers caused by your beach landings is a problem with the Hobie?  This is clearly a problem with the way you use the boat. If you use a cart as they are intended and repeatedly bash the cart into a curb... same.

I am reading more and more of the things EliasV is and has been saying about Hobie on many platforms and I am not feeling it. And selling a warranty replaced hull with the serial number removed? That is putting another fellow kayaker at risk! Once a hull is replaced via warranty the hull should be destroyed.

7 mins ago, mmiller said:

You have to be kidding right?  You have metal extending below the hull and expect that repeated blows to the scuppers caused by your beach landings is a problem with the Hobie?  This is clearly a problem with the way you use the boat. If you use a cart as they are intended and repeatedly bash the cart into a curb... same.

I am reading more and more of the things EliasV is and has been saying about Hobie on many platforms and I am not feeling it. And selling a warranty replaced hull with the serial number removed? That is putting another fellow kayaker at risk! Once a hull is replaced via warranty the hull should be destroyed.

Who said blowing the boat onto the sand full momentum? I absolutely never beach the kayak via sand surf launching. I always get out before. Every video I surf land/launch I'm never riding sh*T into the beach, the only safe way to land the outback is to get out as soon as it is safe to do so - sorry dude. I go in backwards five times a season in the surf. Who in their right mind paddles in backwards all the way to the beach? As soon as you are able to get out safely in an Outback you bail there's ZERO backwards impacts happening with me ever.  Who's claiming I bring my wheels with me everytime on the water? 70% of my videos from this season my cart is tucked neatly into the back seat of my car, not the back seat of my kayak.

No one gave me any instruction what to do with that hull. Not the terrible receptionist in Cali, not the dealer I picked up my $800 replacement from, no one. That's my fault? I should have dropped my hull off before taking a new one. Don't pin that sh*t on me for your incompetent policies. 

3 mins ago, EliasV said:

No one gave me any instruction what to do with that hull. 

Actually yes... the dealer did tell you. Repeatedly.

Your assertion that the cart had to do with the failure is where I got that idea from.

17 mins ago, mmiller said:

I've been on your Outbacks since 2011. I've owned FIVE outbacks. Never a crack via scupper carts before the botchy PVC reinforcements even. I never misuse carts either. I need a boat that functions and enjoy my Hobie when it functions properly. I

t's ok I know it's my fault for the following:

Coming in backwards via surf with or without the cart

Wheeling it through the sand

9 mins ago, mmiller said:

Actually yes... the dealer did tell you. Repeatedly.

Your assertion that the cart had to do with the failure is where I got that idea from.

Hey dude here's timeline:

Pay $800 for new hull dealer says - "Have A Nice Day Elias!"

Come home

Posted on FB for best offer because no one gave me instruction what to do

Kevin throws a temper tantrum at me on FB and tells me to destroy it

I pull post down

I cannot destroy a kayak in NYC

I give it to KFA-NY president Gene

He cuts it and sends me picture

I submit picture

I guess its my fault

Edited by EliasV

Glad to hear the warrantied kayak (Facebook Sale) is out of service.

Fyi... your use of the kayak for guiding or other is not at issue. Your negativity is not an issue with the current claim. We had not even had the opportunity to comment on a claim before all this stuff is posted.

Defects do happen. Sometimes people cause their own issues too. Just let us do what we do. Your claim has been received and the leak will be verified by the dealer. All good. 

Edited by mmiller
text errors fixed

9 mins ago, mmiller said:

Glad to hear the warrantied kayak (Facebook Sale) is out of service.

Fyi... your use of the kayak for guiding or other is not at issue. Your negativity is not an issue with the current claim. We had not even had the opportunity to comment on a claim before all this stuff is posted.

Defects do happen. Sometimes people cause their own issues too. Just let us do what we do. Your claim has been received and the leak will be verified by the dealer. All good. 

I'm quite aware what happens to a defective hull now. This will gladly be returned to a dealership down the road from me (as opposed to 1.5 hrs away). 

I don’t know how you guys put up with so many issues with hobie. Drive issues, fin issues, keeping spare drives in the vehicle, cracked hulls, etc. I’ll stick with my paddle which needs zero maintenance.