EliasV

2018 outback cracked today

152 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, EliasV said:

If Hobie constitutes what I do for a living as "commercial" then so be it.

I don't blame them if they don't want to have to parse the difference between you taking out guided clients occasionally and a real "livery" business in resort areas where the boats are rented out to unaccompanied non-experts every day of the week. But that shouldn't void their warranty, they should have a commercial level, like flooring that has a residential and commercial levels of warranty.

I found this warranty information on the hobie web site this am:

Warranty

Rest assured that when you purchase your new 2019 model year Hobie from an authorized Hobie dealer it comes with a 3-Year Warranty (2-year Warranty for inflatable kayaks and SUPs). For prior year models, your Hobie comes with a 2-Year Warranty (1-Year Warranty on all SUPs). The Warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, improper storage, or running into stuff. The Warranty covers defects in the materials, manufacturing and design.

To Obtain Warranty Service

Within 30 days of discovering a defect, take your Hobie product, along with proof of purchase (sales receipt or registration card) to the authorized Hobie dealer from whom you purchased your boat, unless you have moved or are traveling. In that case, take it to the nearest authorized Hobie dealer.

The good news is you can go your nearest dealer since you moved after you purchased your kayak.

Also I could not find anything on their web site regarding fishing with your wheels located behind your seat

in the scupper holes in the rear cargo area. 

19 mins ago, dbjpb said:

I found this warranty information on the hobie web site this am:

Also I could not find anything on their web site regarding fishing with your wheels located behind your seat in the scupper holes in the rear cargo area. 

You don't have to..... anything you physically do to cause damage is in the "user error" category.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I also could not find any pictures of a hobie guy fishing with  a scupper cart behind their seat?

The one video I found was selling a new cart that you could fold up and put inside your hatch.

I suspect that you are correct with the user error scenario. I have no idea why or how Elias's scupper holes

started to leak. I don't know Elias. However if you look at his facebook page he appears to be someone

who enjoys fishing with his cart behind his seat in his scupper holes.  It would not be unreasonable to assume

that this may have contributed to his scupper failure if he or one of his clients had a failed surf landing or launching ? Again I have no idea what actually happened. I hope for his sake it is a manufactures defect 

that just presented itself . It looks like the warranty on the new model has increased over the older ones.

I guess that is a good sign?

Edited by dbjpb

Yeah, scupper karts............. even though hobie sells them to use on their own boats, they'll  still pin the damage they cause on you. 

Thats Risk city if you ask me......

When I designed a scupper cart for my Pescador, I made it with 8" crossbars on either side of the uprights, like a lower case "t", so that a sharp force to the wheels would have to lift the boat off the crossbar to put a racking force in the scupper. Not foolproof, but better than the simple ones being sold.

On 11/24/2018 at 6:56 PM, EliasV said:

Cracked behind the reinforced scupper PVC. Filled with water half way up in 20 minutes. Thankfully I felt it and beached quickly. Scary. 

Maybe if you kept the podcast going to entertain us, the kayak gods would have spared you :). Any new ones coming out? I really enjoyed the first run.

Good news is if there is anyone they should listen to about kayak design and warranty, I would think you would be that person. You use the kayak and rep it more in one month and most people do in a lifetime.

3 hours ago, xjclint said:

Maybe if you kept the podcast going to entertain us, the kayak gods would have spared you :). Any new ones coming out? I really enjoyed the first run.

Good news is if there is anyone they should listen to about kayak design and warranty, I would think you would be that person. You use the kayak and rep it more in one month and most people do in a lifetime.

He still has one an hour long one from two months ago with me he never aired.

Maybe because I said he has a gay jew fro  :) or something like that......lmao

See your dealer to file a claim. Nothing I read here is a cause for warranty denial.

I do have some thoughts about the cart posts protruding below the hull and landing on a beach that way. That would be high stress on the scuppers. Also possibly the cart carrying a lot of load from leaning back in the seat, loading up the cart scuppers?  Possibly using PVC bunks on a trailer, that can push up on the scuppers and cause unintended loads... all could contribute to a failure.

All I can say is this..

Hobie can try to push back on claims in general if they want. However, if they want to chance pissing off a guy who can get thousands of views on a video... then that would be a bad business decision.

If I am them I would give Elias a new kayak with the understanding that he does not tell anyone that they did this for him.

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

He still has one an hour long one from two months ago with me he never aired.

Maybe because I said he has a gay jew fro  :) or something like that......lmao

:theman:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Excellent point by mmiller.

I had reduced the  cart's "uprights" a while back, they were interfering with loading/unloading.

They dont protrude past the bottom outline, but still stick out  out of the scupper holes 3" or so ( you can see that in the pic ) ... should probably cut them down even more so that they dont stick out of scuppers at all.

Could run into a rock formation and when these catch a boulder, would be nothing to cushion the blow. Indeedy

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by r111

28 mins ago, mmiller said:

Possibly using PVC bunks on a trailer, that can push up on the scuppers and cause unintended loads... all could contribute to a failure.

Interesting!  I never heard that one.  Now I'm really glad I went with the Hobie cradles on my trailer for my TI and not the PVC bunks like many have suggested.

3 hours ago, r111 said:

should probably cut them down even more so that they dont stick out of scuppers at all.

NO! don't do that, it'll cause way more damage, there was a vid of a guy who cut his off and it shredded the inside of the scupper. If you're concerned about damage when it's not actually on it's wheels, just bungee the wheels on, rather than stick them in the top of the scuppers.I just strap mine well out of the way behind my crate with a cam strap.