EliasV

2018 outback cracked today

152 posts in this topic

Scupper carts sure are convenient in may ways, but mechanically they're asking for trouble. When you hit any kind of resistance like a rock or hill they put tremendous torque into that plastic  scupper tube, which it what causes these failures. We've all bent a piece of metal or plastic till it fails, that's what's happening, same as the pedal well failures. PE boats never fail except these 2 ways.

After using a scupper cart on my 1st boat I now use a strap on (keep it clean folks). IMO it has a big additional advantage in that I can roll into the water and just slide the boat off, rather than having to lift the boat on and off the rods, or have unload the boat and tilt it. At a 'roll in' launch I load/unload nothing at the waterline. Yes, if I hit a rock it can twist the cart sideways, but I'd rather deal with that than a damaged boat.

I originally bought a scupper cart, but it was such a hassle to use with a full loaded kayak, I moved away from it and now use a C-Tug.  I do use the scupper cart to move empty kayaks around my house, they are very convenient with an empty kayak and no straps.

I have used the HD cart on my PA and Outback with no problems but I generally am not using it on rough terrain. I don't carry a ton of stuff so the added weight to the hull is minimal. I use the "no tilt" method and it works great. Hopefully Hobie will take care of you.

Posted (edited) · Report post

nuttin but scupper with me PA14 over last 5 years, over some ruff terrain + plenty of concurred obstacles, yessir.

Fully loaded she pushes 200#, and yes, I do the ole jerk, shake and reposition routine when I bring her to the water. I also keep nice electric blue spandex tights around, JIC US Olympic weight lifting team calls.

Em things are so big and soft and supple, you will never have any serious Gs applied to nuttin, as wheelez will cushion any blows

Edited by r111

To bring the discussion back to what matters: Elias is not using his Hobie in  commercial capacity, not since he left for simpler and more productive pastures

I'd still call the cat an avid kayaker, but commercial he aint

Edited by r111

I thought he made a living fishing and taking other people fishing?  My bad. I apologize. I thought he was the guy with the videos selling his own brand of  lures? I must be mistaken.

You smoked crack out back?

That's crazy.....I'd be all up in Hobies business if that were me.

You arent guiding so you aren't considered a comm correct?  

Always sucks when the $$$$$$ in the business has flaws.  

You should chronicle your experiences with their customer service

3 mins ago, dbjpb said:

I thought he made a living fishing and taking other people fishing?  My bad. I apologize. I thought he was the guy with the videos selling his own brand of  lures? I must be mistaken.

I earn my living doing the same thing....and I'm not a commercial fishermen or using my gear commercially.

I earn a living based off of advertising revenue.  

Ironic that I earn via commercials but don't use gear commercially.

Worth mentioning Elias can go non "commercial" in seconds via clicking a button.

And if that's a leg hobie would try to stand on that's not a company I would want to do business with.

Edited by scoobydoo

Elias fishes 3-4 times a week (or so he sez on the interwebs).  Mazel tov !

At that rate he's probably 5x the wear/tear of a more regular once-a-week guy. Duly noted and still doesn't qualify him as a commercial user (did Hobie ever define what a "normal" use is ?)

using a kayak frequently while filming youtube vids is hardly "commercial use"........    I don't know what the Hobie warranty specs are, but there shouldn't be any qualms about misuse/overuse here.

My guess is two questions will need to be answered for the warranty claim:                                1) What caused the scupper to fail?                          2) What constitutes personal use vs comnercial use?                                                                             I hope Hobie takes care of Elias. After all  his kayak is less then1 year old? Even if it was used   3 or 4 times  a week. It should last 1year?  This must be another one of those less then1% hull failures? I suspect there are more Drive well failures then scupper failures? Again just my humble opinion based on  my friends reported failures. Maybe he will get to sample the new improved 2019 model. I have not heard of their hulls failing yet? 

Edited by dbjpb
U

Anyone that owns any of the new colors, just watch your scuppers. Put the pump in if you don't have one. I was inept. I never had a boat crack in that manner aside from a 2012 a customer had crack in a drive well while in NY.  A friend of mine with a camo one also cracked exact same spot. New pour or plastic or whatever. My 2011 still floats as does the 2015. Nothing changed with the way I treated it. It's the plastic. 

I pulled the trigger on a Predator PDL today as my non surf boat and will look for an older outback as my out front boat. 

IF coming in backwards five times in a season cracked the scupper then I want nothing to do with it. If Hobie constitutes what I do for a living as "commercial" then so be it. Shimano, Daiwa, and Thule certainly don't. 

Edited by EliasV

On #1: 101% sure EV didnt try to crack one on purpose. And they should never ever fail on their own.

Anyway, there's a wee bit of a feud between him and Hobie, that's why I stocking up on popcorn. He may be adopting NC's gentlemanly ways, but in heart, still a nu yokah, wont take sh*t from noone.