The Salty Fisherman

Surf/Jetty Rod Length Preferences

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What length rods do you guys use for light surf/jetty casting?  I am currently looking into buying a new rod and found an 8 footer that I really like.  Is this too short? Or could I get away with it?

Hi, Casting plugs from a jetty I like 8' and 9' rods. I use a 9' Tica. Casting plugs from the beach I like a 9' to 11' rod. I use a 9' Star stela light  . For using bait from the beach for light stuff , Whiting, small blues. dink stripers. I like 9' to 11' rods. I use a 9' cabelas salt striker 1/2 to 3 oz and a 11' Tsunami Elite 1 1/2 to 4 1/2 oz . I like the tsunami and Star rods the best. I like my Star rods better than my St Croix's. This is what I use, other forum members will be along with what they like. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

This is gonna sound stupid.....but I've been using a pretty unique setup the better part of the last month......and I can say that for general duty I think I found my new favorite light weight setup.  I hope I say the same at the end of next spring :)

12oz reel and 12ounce rod

11' 2-8 tournament ballistic

6k sized ballistic lt

I throw a ton of 2oz to 4oz plugs and it's effortless.

And it weighs the same as a reel I used to use

I have a Tsunami Airwave Elite 10' MH for the surf. Pretty light rod and casts well. I have it paired with a Penn Battle 2 which can be a little heavy but matches up nicely with the rod. 10' seems to be the sweet spot for me to control the plugs and cast well with control. 

bucktailing inlets for me is a Lami 11' MH cut down to 10'6" . 2 off the tip and 3 off the butt, my reason for the MH is that it allows me to lift fish to around 10 lbs , no crawling down for smalls.

8ft may be too short.  Some beaches no, most I've been  glad I brought a 11 footer. Tsunami elite 1102m 1/2 to 3oz.

I have a 10ft heavy ugly stick that works well if your using bait.

You can cast heavy with a medium rod, but you got to keep the cast smooth to make it work well.  

The 1/2 to 3 11ft is awesome for lures.  I got 30 braid, might go down to 20 next time.

For strict jetty fishing I prefer a 9’ rod with a lot of backbone for lifting fish. I also use a 10’ jetty gaff with 4 loops of 400lb mono as a hook “snag”.