SalmonAndStriper Stalker

Ice time

Rate this topic

107 posts in this topic

24 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

On 3in of black at the moment in central MA. Only November 24th too. I think it's going to be a good year.

20181124_124141.jpg

after tonights rain so goodbye to your ice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gray gables said:

after tonights rain so goodbye to your ice. 

I know but the temps in this area will be below freezing all of next week at night.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 0:48 PM, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

On 3in of black at the moment in central MA. Only November 24th too. I think it's going to be a good year.

20181124_124141.jpg

How did you do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, troutworm said:

On 3" of ice,you might say goodbye to your a$$  too ! 

Idk I have comfortably fished on 2in many many times. 2 pokes with the spud is safe. One and then it's time to back up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thin ice only supports younger men.

 

The older you get, the thicker the ice needs to be.

Hopefully this natural process does not require actually being emersed in ice water to develop. 

 

Just a general observation, not a shot at the OP, he may be an old guy for all I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Thin ice only supports younger men.

 

The older you get, the thicker the ice needs to be.

Hopefully this natural process does not require actually being emersed in ice water to develop. 

 

Just a general observation, not a shot at the OP, he may be an old guy for all I know. 

I weigh 185 so 2 inches of solid like crystal clear strong black will easily support me. There is a huge difference between black ice and the white ice with their strength 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I weigh 185 so 2 inches of solid like crystal clear strong black will easily support me. There is a huge difference between black ice and the white ice with their strength 

Believe me, in my day I walked on lots of thin black ice. I totally agree it can be done.

 

My only point is, with age comes wisdom. 

At some point you realize you've been lucky. A wise man quits while he is ahead. 

 

I have had enough flags in my life to where Im content to let the young guys test the ice for me. I'm in no hurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Believe me, in my day I walked on lots of thin black ice. I totally agree it can be done.

 

My only point is, with age comes wisdom. 

At some point you realize you've been lucky. A wise man quits while he is ahead. 

 

I have had enough flags in my life to where Im content to let the young guys test the ice for me. I'm in no hurry.

Totally agree on this one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m an avid ice fisherman but a total wus when it comes to ice.

I wear the floating suit, carry picks and have a throw line and board so I’m reasonably confident I’d get out okay should I go in. What I fear most is simply the fear of breaking through and being in the position of relying on the series of (so far) untested backup plans in the event that I do.

 

That said, I respect the fact that some people put the time in and get to know the ice, their equipment and their abilities. If you’re one with your spud and know for a fact the two inches your standing on will hold you then for the love of god, fish!

 

I’m confident in my equipment, it’s the ice and myself I’m not sure I know well enough to trust. :squid:

But gimme 4” of black and the sounds of growing ice and I’m on it.

 

To the casual observer it’s sometimes hard to tell the difference between stupid and calculated.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With old age comes both wisdom and a lack of enthusiasm....     Now 3" on most of the ponds around me where the water isn't more than a couple feet deep, I'd fish it even as old and unenthusiastic as I am!     Once the water is a little deeper... I get a little more unenthusiastic ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.