Rabid Bucktail

When do you hang up the waders for the year?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Hi all I'm happy to be a part of this great forum I have been reading for a month or two now and am excited to get involved!

Have you or when do you plan on giving up on fishing for stripers from the surf this season? Is it the 50 degree water mark? When the boat fishing reports slow down? When you stop seeing signs of sand fleas/eels any other bait that's still around? I don't want to stop fishing but I don't want to head to the beach without a shot of caching them either! In my mind I'm worried it could be over after the southerly winds change Monday that water is cooling off fast!

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, Rabid Bucktail said:

Hi all I'm happy to be a part of this great forum I have been reading for a month or two now and am excited to get involved!

Have you or when do you plan on giving up on fishing for stripers from the surf this season? Is it the 50 degree water mark? When the boat fishing reports slow down? When you stop seeing signs of sand fleas/eels any other bait that's still around? I don't want to stop fishing but I don't want to head to the beach without a shot of caching them either! In my mind I'm worried it could be over after the southerly winds change Monday that water is cooling off fast!

It depends what you care about....are you happy catching rats and schoolies until mid december?Some guys are ok with that i put to much time and effort into this to spend hours on the beach catching rats.Im on the verge of hanging mine up ive lost intrest.If I feel theres no shot at a quality fish im done as far as surf fishing goes.I will be out on my boat for alot longer yet

Edited by IslandSurf

MTKN6 is at 45.   I know it gets colder faster than the offshore bouys because it is so shallow, but to me, it gives a more representative temperature for surfcasters.  I am done for the season, at least from the surf.

I think I am done with NY striper for this year. Drove all over western half of the island, no bird, no bait, no sniff. Not even one bent rod.  Well one if you count a snagged bottom. Today's condition was about perfect, does bass get thanksgiving hangover too?  Will try to sneak over to Jersey side and steal a few tomorrow.

These are some great responses. And it's really insightful to see what others think about. I've had some very good trips up until recently (even after the snow) but no sign of life the last 3 days while working a good amount of beach. 

I love being out there as long as there's a chance at a fish. Hoping that those cold days didn't close the year for good. I did snag a sand flea today (which I found at least 20 in a stomach last week) so there's something for fish to eat but starting to think there may not be any fish to hold in an area. It's one of those times where I hope I'm wrong.

Last season I was still catching schoolies well into December. There are definitely still some sand eels around central/western south shore, just need favorable conditions to get them close enough to shore. 

Out of curiosity I hit one of my haunts today, birds going crazy about 70 yards past casting range for a good mile or so along the shore... maybe there's hope.

Saturday was my last day. We haven’t had any decent fish on the North Fork for several weeks, now. I gave it a finAl shot over the weekend. Time to get gear cleaned up, serviced, organized and ready for Spring. 

Bounced around a lot the past two days. 

Yesterday was quiet with just a few birds here and there and some small bait in the rocks at an inlet. 

Today there were HOURS of birds smashing something in huge surf. Out of surfcasting range and in a big break-rip combo that would have been very difficult/dangerous for those with a boat. Cormorants had full bellies, coming up with what were either sand eels or other small bait on every drop. Rough surf and a lot of flooding out there. 

Couldn't buy a bite. I didn't see anyone hook up. Still a fair amount of fisherman out there. 

Made me want to hang em up but I know I won't. 

2 hours ago, jesgord said:

Saturday was my last day. We haven’t had any decent fish on the North Fork for several weeks, now. I gave it a finAl shot over the weekend. Time to get gear cleaned up, serviced, organized and ready for Spring. 

Part of me wants to get everything ready for the spring but part of me needs to at least fish tomorrow first!

Nothing again today while working some good looking beach. Diamonds w/ and without teasers, SP's, rubber shads, and of course tipped bucktails. Saw some guls working while a ton of cormorants relaxed on top of the surface just in casting range w/ no action