BrianBM

Ron Arra, Century, Graphene

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

There's a note in the Massachusetts forum that Ron Arra is now signed up with Century, and mention of three new Arra rods from Century. All apparently use graphene in construction.  They're not up on Ryan's site yet.

Exotic materials come and go. Some firm was making rods with carrot fibers (remember "Carrot Stix?"). Kevlar pops up now and then. Is anyone other then Century building rods with graphene?  

Just curious, not shopping. Lamiglas isn't bragging about any such exotica, nor St. Croix, and North Fork Composites' site is impressively uninformative. 

All Century rods are now being run with graphene. It has had great results. Adds durability and strength, added sensitivity.  Century did a stress test with the 11'3" Surf Machine Elite. They basically did the Ugly Stick test. They pretty much bent the tip down to the but. That means you are able to high stick...to a point. The results they have achieved is unreal. If you would like to try a rod with graphene I have a few Centurys you're welcome to try.

Thanks. 

I got a somewhat discounted Sling Shot blank in 2017 from Ron White, because I told him I'd have Al Goldberg build on it.  He was curious, and wanted to see what Al would think of the blank (SS 1327) .  Al delivered the rod in 2018. This is NOT a graphene-ed (?) blank,but it's a wicked caster anyway.  The only error was mine, in blank selection; I suspect a 1328 would have been a better fit for the Ultimate Tin Driver that I had in mind.  I have no definitive opinion because, since I got it in late June, I have not yet stuck a fish that strained the rod in the least.  (The reel is a Saragosa 6000, though I might put a similarly-sized Daiwa on it, soon. )

The non-graphene 1327 is a wicked casting machine that fishes a wider range of weights then I'd really expected. My lust for new rods is a chronic thing, but for the time being, I think I'd better nor order anything new.  (I'm too old to get a new wife.  I like the one I've got.)  ;)

Geographically, where are you? I wouldn't  mind trying someone else's toys; you can play with mine, too. Al G. is one hell of a builder. 

Edited by BrianBM
close parenthesis

Ooops. For "Ron" read "Ryan."  It's been a loooong day today. .... by whatever name, he's good company and likeable as all heck. Sometime in this life, I gotta fish with him, not just visit a shop and buy a blank for Al to build on.

I've used the regular stealth before and used the graphene stealth. While I thought the graphene would be a gimmick, it was a very noticible difference. I threw pencils with both and with the graphene I was able it make it dance with the slightest taps. Only thing is they are very expensive.

AFMike, I'm in Suffolk County, New York. We'll have to wait to compare rods. 'Tis the winter season. Gotta bake some more tomorrow. Wife wants a pea soup. The cooking urge is upon me.

i07, expensive, yes.  The bride allows me a new rod each year, and the 1327 oughta be it.  (Five pound bluefish aren't a test.)  Still, she's indulgent ... well, maybe I wander down to South Jersey, compare notes with AFMike sometime. 

Thank you, I'll do that.  It's always fun to compare notes.  

Graphene tog rod, huh. Al built me a 7 1/2' cod rod (I've come to conclude that 7 1/2' to 8' is optimal if you fish mainly on partyboats, not charters.)  I don't know what blank he used, just that it accommodates 12-20 oz. without whining.  (If I need more then 20, it'd feel too much like work, anyway.)  Gotta put some miles on that too, before I decide to lust for a heavy groundfish stick. 

Edited by BrianBM

1 hour ago, AFMike said:

You can look on the Advanced Fishing-USA site. It has pricing 

For the sling shot and stealth blank models - Are the all with graphene? Or are they listed elsewhere. Unless I am missing something I don’t see them with graphene.