Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
applecore

12 x 10 shed floor framing, directly on cement blocks

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Looking to build a 12 x 10  tool/storage shed on a cement block foundation- (w/each block on its own gravel bed) . Would there be any advantage of putting 4x4s/6s on the blocks and then framing the floor on top of these- other than putting distance between the dirt ground and the floor and supporting joists? I plan on using treated lumber for the floor frame and coating the underside of the plywood or OSB flooring material with some sort of stain and I am hoping that and the fact that the floor frame is on concrete will be sufficient to protect from rot. 

Thanks in advance.

1st thing I built out of college was a shed.  Went from eng. school to construction.  I built mine on thick patio blocks.  Use the 6x6’s.  Good base for the rim board.  Without the runners, I think you’ll find your rim boards won’t sit level because the blocks won’t be perfectly (dead nuts) level themselves and with each other.  The runners will help even all of that out.  Pressure treated for 6x6’s and joists.

4 hours ago, Sam3631 said:

1st thing I built out of college was a shed.  Went from eng. school to construction.  I built mine on thick patio blocks.  Use the 6x6’s.  Good base for the rim board.  Without the runners, I think you’ll find your rim boards won’t sit level because the blocks won’t be perfectly (dead nuts) level themselves and with each other.  The runners will help even all of that out.  Pressure treated for 6x6’s and joists.

Thanks for the info- it's appreciated.

If you're putting a riding mower in it, keep it as low as possible. 2x6 floor joist sitting on 6x6 will need a 6' ramp for most riders so the deck does not hit. Husqvarna are the worst, depending on how level the ground is, an 8' ramp is possible.

2x6 pt joist on block is fine. Frame floor on ground, 8x16x2 block on high corner, level out from there. If you think you might want to move it in the future, 4x4 runners are advisable. Check out a couple Amish shed builder websites to see how its done.

l move about 600 sheds a year. You'd be surprised at some of the 'construction' methods we see.

I put up a kit shed.  So far so good.  I do suggest placing hard wood plywood over your sub floor.  Made all the difference for me as that is where I put the lawn tractor.

Cabo

9 hours ago, EricJ said:

i like the idea of a slab to prevent future floor rot and to keep from having rodents underneath... that's all.

Where I live a slab means it’s permanent and needs a permit. Not worth the hassle, nor the tax.

4 mins ago, Shag said:

Where I live a slab means it’s permanent and needs a permit. Not worth the hassle, nor the tax.

yeah I get that. I would opt for more slab at that point too