MagDarter

DRY SUIT GASKET LUBE

7 posts in this topic

Absolute best thing you can use is this: McNett Seal Saver.  This problem is finding it.  I bought some off of Amazon 5 years ago when I got my dry suit.  A couple drops a year and my wrist gaskets look and feel brand new.  Amazon no longer sells it.

Here is a review (not mine) from Amazon:

This stuff is awesome. I've been using it for 10 years. Latex gaskets naturally off-gas into the atmosphere, losing their chemical composition over a period of time, which makes them rip eventually. This stuff creates a vapor barrier around the latex that prevents it from off-gassing and thereby makes them last a lot longer. 303 doesn't work the same way. I hate 303 for use on gaskets, but love it in my car! LATER ADDITION: 5 years later so I've been using it for 15 years now. Another benefit I've noticed is that a dry gasket will tend to stick to your hair as you put it on your head and as you remove it, increasing the likelihood that it will rip. But a lubed gasket slips on and off easily with no rips. I've had my Patagonia Nemo dry top for over ten years now and the dry top wore out before the gasket. I'm retiring it after this Sunday for good!

MCNETT-SealSaver-2.jpg

28 mins ago, atv223 said:

Absolute best thing you can use is this: McNett Seal Saver.  This problem is finding it.

Plenty of places sell it.........

Natural latex rubber starts as sap from a tree and as an organic material it ages and breaks down, just like us. Manmade neoprene while not as watertight is more stable and can last longer. I've seen plumbers silicone grease mentioned for rubber gasket/seal preservation. Pure sheep lanolin is another common product that 'may' slow down Father times effect on rubber.

4 hours ago, r111 said:

Any of them in US ?

All ebay listings are in EU,  averaging $100 per bottle delivered. 

Looks like Berry Dive Center out of Chicago sells it, about $14 delivered.