andy383

Smelt questions

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Can smelt be caught during the day around Boston?  Certainly sounds like most fish for them at night but curious about day time.  Anyone finding them locally?  Thanks for the help.  

On 11/23/2018 at 8:48 AM, andy383 said:

Hello All,

Can smelt be caught during the day around Boston?  Certainly sounds like most fish for them at night but curious about day time.  Anyone finding them locally?  Thanks for the help.  

Yup. If you find the right tide, outgoing during early morning hours is best. I was lucky to stumble upon a few lucky days to catch some. 

On 12/3/2018 at 8:16 PM, shark lobster said:

Yea night time is way better for smelt !

In all my many years fishing for smelt all over Massachusetts, in another time frame it was very rare to have a day trip do any where near what we did at night with a lantern. Over all the night fishing was the best overall. I have also had marathon trips that lasted like for two days sleeping on the box in between the slow times.

the best time to catch smelt is few hours before the sun set or early in the morning until around 10. If you have a light/lantern at night the bite will be better than day time. that's my personal experiences.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:44 AM, QHNM said:

yeah you can catch them either night or day but day time is better.. you'll need a light at night time, else they're very slow

On 12/6/2018 at 4:18 PM, QHNM said:

the best time to catch smelt is few hours before the sun set or early in the morning until around 10. If you have a light/lantern at night the bite will be better than day time. that's my personal experiences.

So what is better day or night? Your post say the oposite of each other!

When the bite is on.  At night you jack them with the light.?  When you see grass shrimp around, thats a good sign. One year down in Winthrop there were, Schoolies in with the Smelts. The rod would go right under the dock sometimes with a striper on.  It would almost brake the rod in half?

PS if you see a Seal leave.

One time a i was fishing A street in Hull off the dock and a Seal came right up between my legs out of nowhere .

I almost fell in. scared the hell out of me. 

Edited by ccb

4 hours ago, shark lobster said:

So what is better day or night? Your post say the oposite of each other!

night time is better with a light.. without a light day time is better