kyleeng

jerseyian fishing in florida next week

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Generally new to surf fishing, have only went 6 or 7 times here in NJ and I have a few questions regarding license, lures, and general spot questions. I'll be visiting a friend in FL next week.

1) I understand that I have to purchase a salt water license if I plan to fish the Atlantic from the shoreline. I have a freshwater license and am registered under the salt water registry here in NJ. Additionally, do I only need a license if I plan on taking saltwater fish back? I only plan on catching and releasing, so I am not attempting to take any fish... or does "take" mean retrieving from the waters, and not necessarily take home?

A recreational saltwater fishing license is required for residents and nonresidents to take or attempt to take saltwater fish, crabs, clams, marine plants or other saltwater organisms (other than non-living seashells and lionfish with certain gear). 

2) Being in jersey, I mainly bought lures for fish that I typically see here in jersey (stripers and blue fish). With that being said, I have a few buck tails, mag darters, deadly dicks, bombers, and poppers off the top of my head. Am I missing any great lures for fishing in florida? I'll be in cooper city Hollywood, so I plan on fishing the beaches east coast near there. 

3) I'm not quite sure how populated the beaches are... Over here, I have a pure fishing beach, where you may only fish. Adjacent, you can fish, but there tends to be a lot of surfers with the exception of early morning, but even then, it's still kinda fishable because it's cold here in Jersey and not many people are around... Are there any fishing beaches near where I will be staying or places which people typically don't swim/surf? I know it's warm year-round, so I know I can't expect as much space in FL. Or is my best bet to just fish the pier? It looks like I'm about 100 miles off the SW coast... so may not be an option. Hour and a half drive isn't terrible at all. I'm just thinking about my mileage XD.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by kyleeng

29 mins ago, Shhshhshark said:

Bring some smaller metals. kastmaster, Hopkins etc. 

Hmm smallest I have is a 1 oz spoon and dick. I can buy another, maybe 1/2 oz?

Edited by kyleeng

5 hours ago, Shhshhshark said:

Bring some smaller metals. kastmaster, Hopkins etc. 

+1.  Hopkins Shorty is my go to metal down here.  Really penetrates the wind which is all too often in your face this time of year.  Entices all of the usual suspects (jacks, blues, spanish, ladyfish, tarpon, blacktips).  If its relatively calm, I break out the Cordell pencil poppers.

12 hours ago, Flbeachbum said:

+1.  Hopkins Shorty is my go to metal down here.  Really penetrates the wind which is all too often in your face this time of year.  Entices all of the usual suspects (jacks, blues, spanish, ladyfish, tarpon, blacktips).  If its relatively calm, I break out the Cordell pencil poppers.

Thanks... Do you guys typically fish off piers on the east coast? I see some spots there are not really along a board walk... but it's not very long.

Been having a great time here! The fish certainly bite a lot more than Jersey... I've have two days of just lots of bites, but I can't tell if they're from the small bait fish or what...

I've been using small shrimps from off the pier, and the things are taken instantly, but I can't seem to hook anything up. I'm not sure why.

Any suggestions? Simply using circle hooks and frozen shrimp or squid. But shrimp seems to get more attention. I tried using a sabiki rig today to catch some bait fish, but today was a slow today... virtually no fish. I didn't see anyone catch anything.

If you’re off the Atlantic beach striper lures work as well as anything. I fish the surf a few miles north of Sebastian Inlet every day. I can catch everything on 1/2-1 oz bucktails, and 1-2 oz silver spoons. Pretty much all I bring these days. Pencil poppers work great though sharks go for these. I’ve had luck on danny’s, salt pro minnows, super strike sinking poppers, all kinds of tins, and bucktails with or without trailers.

one thing I have noticed... might just be me... fish here are frisky and more aggressive it seems than up north so retrieve and action works better faster and jerkier! Also here fish are usually much closer so 11’ surf rods are less necessary, I’m usually on an 8’ inshore rod.

14 hours ago, kyleeng said:

Been having a great time here! The fish certainly bite a lot more than Jersey... I've have two days of just lots of bites, but I can't tell if they're from the small bait fish or what...

I've been using small shrimps from off the pier, and the things are taken instantly, but I can't seem to hook anything up. I'm not sure why.

Any suggestions? Simply using circle hooks and frozen shrimp or squid. But shrimp seems to get more attention. I tried using a sabiki rig today to catch some bait fish, but today was a slow today... virtually no fish. I didn't see anyone catch anything.

If you are not getting bites on the sabiki put a small piece of shrimp or squid on the hooks. The squid will last longer, but doesn't attract as well as shrimp.

I actually use a chicken rig with 4 or 5 size 2 or 4 gold/bronze Aberdeen hooks. Put some shrimp on and drop it down. It works like a bigger sabiki.

Edited by mwhitt80

Really appreciate the help guys... 

Ended up meeting a sea captain today and he gave me a lot of information... probably basic to most of you guys. Some things I can't remember and maybe you can help me.

Previously I was just grabbing any stainless steel leader with a snap in walmart, but I've learned that's not such a great idea.. He recommended me some wire, but I can't recall the size... size 4 or 7? Can anyone weigh in on their opinion? It was main line, connected to 20-30lb fluoro, connected to steel leader.

I think folks tend to over-complicate things.  95% of my fishing throwing lures off the beach for snook, jacks, mackerel, ladyfish, bluefish, and blacktip sharks is done with 20lb braid and 2' of 40lb mono with a 75lb snap swivel.  Yes, I lose an occasional fish when a second fish attacks the lure in the mouth of a hooked fish or if a blacktip swallows the whole lure but its pretty infrequent.

I’m with Flbeachbum on this, keep it simple. I’ve seen people with every piece of clip, snap or added jewelry to a simple rig and a popping cork too. Hooks are to big, weight is to heavy. 

You are normally fishing clear water, and shallow. Outside of fishing a pass or narrow cut the current isn’t that hard. The west coast, the depth you fish inshore is best described by someone that said if you fall out of a kayak stand up. It’s not deep water. 

I fish ML rods, 2000 series reels, 10lb braid, 20lb mono bite, size 1 hooks and 1/8 egg sinkers and move up to 1/4 oz for stronger current. Obviously it comes down to match the outfit to the fishing conditions. If I’m after larger gamefish I’d increase rod sizing and overall tackle to match.