Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
micros

Matching Spinning Reel with 9ft 8wt Spin/Fly Build with Microwave 30s.

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

Hey guys. 

I have a UL Spin/fly surf rod in the works right now. It's an 8wt and I plan on throwing 1/2oz plugs, eggs, and jigs with it.

Here's the deal. I'm looking to optimize this rig for distance as the lures I'm throwing are pretty light, so this means 10-14lb fireline, and ceramic guides. 

For my guides, I decided to go with Microwave 30's as opposed to their 20 size, as the running guides on the 30's are better for my loop to loop connections that I have on my shooting head set ups.I asked AmTack what were the smallest reel sizes the Microwave 30's could accommodate, and they said that while it was originally designed for 4000+ sized reels, the representative said that he has used them with 3000 sized reels just fine.

While I had been planning on using a 2000-3000 sized reel, the Microwave 30s have got me considering larger sized reels, not just to match the guide sizes, but also because of distance- the larger diameter of a 4000-5000 size reel theoretically should cast further than the 2000-3000 sized reels.

My biggest concern here is balance. What are your thoughts on a 4000-5000 sized reel on an 8wt rod blank? Too much? Just right? Too little?

Edited by micros